Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20497 Discussions

Can I increase dedicated graphics memory for an integrated Intel HD 4000 if the option does not exist in BIOS?

MDeVi
Beginner

Hello everyone!

Using a Sony Vaoi Tap 20

Model: SVJ20217CXW

I do a lot of online gaming, and love this PC more than any I've ever owned, but when it comes to meeting graphics requirements, it consistently falls short. I attempted to increase the dedicated video memory in the BIOS, but found that the option was not listed. Unfortunately I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to advanced computer mechanics. Is there a way around this? I've also optimized every performance feature in the Intel Control Panel and it hasn't made enough of a difference.

-Intel Core i73517U CPU @ 1.90GHz

-Intel HD Graphics 4000 Dynamic Video Memory Technology 5.0

-8GB RAM

Total Available Graphics Memory: 1792MB

Dedicated Video Memory: 32MB

System Video Memory: 0MB

Shared System Memory: 1760MB

If increasing dedicated memory is not an option, are there any other way to increase the graphics performace? I've looked into external video cards but considering this PC has only two USB 3.0 ports, a MagicGate, and an ethernet port, I don't think it's possible.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hello Shirogatana,

Thank you for contacting us.

I noticed that you have questions regarding the BIOS of your machine and whether you can increase the Dedicated Video Memory or not. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience that this could be causing.

In this case your OEM manufacturer customized your BIOS in order to "block/hide" customizations such as the ones in charge of the dedicated video memory.

However while checking the brief description that you typed I can see that the Shared System Memory is almost to it maximum capacity of 1760MB so increasing the Dedicated Video Memory can actually ruin their customization (regarding the values previously mentioned.)

These resources (Shared System Memory) are shared between the RAM memory and your CPU and work as a dynamic feature that can either increase or decrease depending on the task that you are performing. On the other hand the dedicated video memory cannot be customized or increased without affecting the Total Available Graphics Memory, so it's basically one of the reasons that they do not list this option on the BIOS.

In this case I strongly recommend you to get in touch with your OEM manufacturer in order to get assistance on this matter so they can check if you can customize the values from the BIOS.

I hope this helps,

Best Regards,

Diego S.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Shirogatana,

Thank you for contacting us.

I noticed that you have questions regarding the BIOS of your machine and whether you can increase the Dedicated Video Memory or not. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience that this could be causing.

In this case your OEM manufacturer customized your BIOS in order to "block/hide" customizations such as the ones in charge of the dedicated video memory.

However while checking the brief description that you typed I can see that the Shared System Memory is almost to it maximum capacity of 1760MB so increasing the Dedicated Video Memory can actually ruin their customization (regarding the values previously mentioned.)

These resources (Shared System Memory) are shared between the RAM memory and your CPU and work as a dynamic feature that can either increase or decrease depending on the task that you are performing. On the other hand the dedicated video memory cannot be customized or increased without affecting the Total Available Graphics Memory, so it's basically one of the reasons that they do not list this option on the BIOS.

In this case I strongly recommend you to get in touch with your OEM manufacturer in order to get assistance on this matter so they can check if you can customize the values from the BIOS.

I hope this helps,

Best Regards,

Diego S.

MDeVi
Beginner

Thank you for your thorough answer. I noticed while playing a game that the VRAM utilized during gameplay fluxuated between 200MB and 450MB. I'm guessing this is part of the adaptive shared memory. While those numbers are much better than the base 32MB, I'm starting to think I should just move onto a new unit. As much as I love this one, it looks like it won't be able to keep up with current game requirements. Thanks again for the answer!

0 Kudos