5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2018 2:28 PM by N.Scott.Pearson

Overheating

RHornibrook

Over the past two months we have noticed a few NUCS overheating on their M2 Intel 600p series drives and use the thermal pads included in the pc to keep them cool. Is Intel aware of the issue and if so, what if anything can we do to fix this other than going the third party route and slapping heatsinks on every single m2 drive setup we sell?

• 1. Re: Overheating
          N.Scott.Pearson

Actually, the thermal pads should work more efficiently than heatsinks or heat spreaders. They can only dissipate the heat into the air in the chassis whereas the thermal pads can dissipate the heat into the chassis itself. Intel is pretty skimpy with the pads they provide, however. Larger pads will help.

In most of the NUCs, there is a thermal sensor on the motherboard and under the M.2 SSD. If you change the fan speed control configuration in the BIOS to utilize this sensor (which is typically referred to as the "Motherboard" sensor), then you can increase the blower speed if this temperature is rising (it should correlate with the SSD temperature at least somewhat).

Hope this helps,

...S

• 2. Re: Overheating
            RHornibrook

What about NUCS that don't have fans? What thermal pads would you suggest?

• 3. Re: Overheating
              N.Scott.Pearson

The official answer is: The NUC boards are designed to be cooled via airflow over the board surfaces. Eliminating airflow (as you would when using a fanless chassis) could result in parts operating outside of their normal thermal tolerances - and this could shorten their effective lifetimes.

The available fanless chassis usually provide a metal block and thermal pad that will allow heat from the M.2 SSD to be dissipated into the chassis. If they do not come with such a capability, I wouldn't be purchasing them.

Hope this helps,

...S

• 4. Re: Overheating
                RHornibrook

Correct, but the problem is they are still overheating with that thermal pad. This is why I was asking if there is a better solution to keep them cool as we already have existing customers that are on the fanless case and are overheating with just normal use with the thermal pads. Its rather embarrassing having to replace ssds and NUCS when they are less than a year old.

• 5. Re: Overheating
                  N.Scott.Pearson

I have two suggestions,

1. Use a larger thermal pad; one that completely covers all ICs and components on the M.2 card. The one Intel provides is a bit on the anemic side.
                  2. The latest generation NUCs have a capability for implementing passive cooling when used in a fanless chassis. To enable this capability, go into BIOS Setup (Visual BIOS), navigate to the Cooling scene and, in the CPU Fan Header section on the right, set the Fan Control Mode parameter to Fanless. Unfortunately, as you can see when you make this change, no settings are provided for actually configuring how this capability will operate (I have asked for this, but as a (retired) former member of the group, I don't have as much sway as I used to. If you would like to backup this ask, contact Intel Customer Support directly and get them to open a ticket).

Hope this helps,

...S