3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2018 4:44 PM by Intel Corporation

Realsense D435 GPIO I2C

KruftIndustries

I would like to stream data from a 10dof IMU through the sda and scl lines (I2C). If possible I would also like to have this device be the timing source for the camera as it has precision timing capabilities. Can anyone point me the right direction on how to either stream data from the I2C through the USB 3.0 port or how to configure the output of my IMU so that the D435 can use the built in method for supporting RS_CAPABILITIES_MOTION_EVENTS, RS_EVENT_IMU_ACCEL, and RS_EVENT_IMU_GYRO. Maybe this would require certain firmware?

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Realsense D435 GPIO I2C
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello KruftIndustries, 

Thanks for posting in the RealSense community. 

The I2C bus is not used internally in the D435 and, therefore, is not exposed. Those variables ( RS_CAPABILITIES_MOTION_EVENTS, RS_EVENT_IMU_ACCEL, and RS_EVENT_IMU_GYRO) are from the older version of librealsense which is no longer supported and does not apply to the D435 camera. The D435 uses librealsense 2.0 (https://github.com/IntelRealSense/librealsense). The external sync capabilities of the D435 camera have not been implemented yet but will be in a future FW release.

Hope this helps to clarify your questions. 

Best regards, 
          Juan N. 

• 2. Re: Realsense D435 GPIO I2C
            KruftIndustries

I didn't expect it to be so straight-forward, that would just be a nice feature. That being said, how would i send and receive arbitrary i2c commands from librealsense to the port though? If the functionality isn't supported in librealsense I can add it on that side. One of the most useful applications for depth is SLAM, if the port isn't usable at all, could you maybe give me a better explanation for why this device was developed with the i2c port broken out and a nice magnetic cover for easy access but disabled? Maybe bandwidth issues? If the solution is not public yet could you please send me a private message so I don't waste time developing one?

Thank you

• 3. Re: Realsense D435 GPIO I2C
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello KruftIndustries, 

I checked your question with engineering. The I2C port was meant to support external hardware that is no longer on the roadmap. External device sync features will be supported in a future version of the firmware. 

Best Regards, 
              Juan N.