Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20589 Discussions

Intel U620 issue with external TV Display after certain Windows updates

WCHIA10
Beginner

Dear Community Support,

I am wondering is this being reported as my sis bought her Acer Swift 3 back in December 2017 and I had set it up for her. Everything works fine till one Windows updates. Quite a major one as it takes at least 15-30 minutes to complete the update process. Upon completing the updates, the external display via HDMI become way off scale and there is nothing I can do to control where else the LCD display on the Swift 3 still looks perfect. I could not find any solution to it so the only workaround till date is to restore to an earlier Windows build when this Updates had been applied. So far, I recalled already done the restore to an earlier build at least 5 times in order to get the external HDMI display to work normally.

While I was wondering would this be a Intel or Microsoft related issue, I also just bought a Gigabyte Aero 15X running Intel 630 chipset and I do not see such issue reported above where the Windows updates is completed and up-to-date as yesterday night (25th Feb 2018).

Anyone can advise? Or is reversing back to the earlier build the only option I have?

Many Thanks & Warmest Regards,

CT.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello CCT75,

I understand that you are having problems when connecting the unit via HDMI to a TV after the Windows update.

Regarding this, to better assist you with your request, I will need to check some information about your computer. Please follow these steps:

1. In the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R.

2. In the Run box please type dxdiag and hit Enter.

3. Click on Save All Information (save it in your desktop).

4. Attach the report to this thread.

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos
WCHIA10
Beginner

Dear David,

Many thanks for picking up my issue. Currently, I advised my sis to keep postponing the Windows Update and it is currently pending either an Update and Shutdown or Update and Restart.Should I try to let the Update went through and get the dxdiag log when the issue happens?

CCT75.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello CCT75,

Thank you for your response,

In this case the best is to let the updates get installed and once everything is ready get the DxDiag.

Make sure to attach it here please so I can have a look.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
WCHIA10
Beginner

Dear David,

Please find attached the DxDiag information for both Before and After the Windows Updates. I also attached 3 screenshots for your reference.

As again after the updates has been applied, the external Samsung 40" LCD HDMI display went off scale, I have no choice but to revert back to an earlier Windows Build which restore the external display back to normal working condition.

As mentioned in my first post, I have been doing this reversal for I think 6 times including today. Hope you can find out what could be wrong and advise so going forward, my sis' Acer Swift 3 can continue with Windows update and not need to keep reverting.

CT.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello CCT75,

I was checking some information with the DxDiag provided and I was able to see that the current graphics driver is quite old. What I would recommend to do as a first step in order to fix the problem is to update the driver.

In order to order the driver, I need you to access the following link and download the ".zip" file:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27484/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-65-?product=126789 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27484/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-65-?product=126789

After this is done, please follow the next steps:

1 - Unzip the file to a designated location or folder.

2 - Right-click Windows Start icon and open Device Manager.

3 - Click Yes when prompted for permission from User Account Control.

4 - Expand the Display adapters section.

5 - Right-click the Intel® graphics entry and select Update Driver Software.

6 - Click "Browse my computer for driver software".

7 - Click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".

8 - Click "Have Disk".

9 - Click "Browse".

10 - Access the designated location or folder, and access a folder called "Graphics".

11 - Select the file called "igdlh64" or "igdlh".

12 - Click Open, then click OK, and finally click Next. Drivers are now being installed.

13 - Reboot your computer

Once this has been done, let us know the outcome please.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
WCHIA10
Beginner

Dear David,

I could not follow up yesterday as I worked quite late. I downloaded the zip file and followed your steps through.

However, I cannot see the igdlh file when I browse to the Graphics folder when perform driver update on my sis' Acer Swift 3 Intel (R) UHD 620 Graphic.

I only see Kit126731.inf file so I go ahead to apply the driver update. Comparing the driver now and before updates, the new one reads 4th Feb 2018 and reboot the laptop.

The display both on LCD and on external Samsung 40" are both fine. Next, I proceed to apply the Windows update and restarted the laptop.

The external Samsung 40" display now again go off-scale while the LCD remain perfect. Attached are the new DxDiag before and after logs for your reference.

Hope to hear new advise from you soon.

CT.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello CCT75,

I was reviewing the information you sent and it seems like the driver is changed when the Windows* update goes through, I checked both of the DxDiag files and the one after the Windows* update shows an older graphics driver. Now that the system is up to date with Windows I would like you to follow the same steps in order to do the driver update please.

I have attached an image of the comparison between both DxDiag files so you can see that the driver was replaced when the Windows* updated.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello CCT75,

I did not attach the picture in the post before. Here is the attachment.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
WCHIA10
Beginner

Dear David,

Do you mean I apply driver update with using the Kit126731.inf file instead as I cannot find the igdhl file you mentioned after performing Windows Updates?

Shall wait for your confirmation before I proceed.

Cheng Teck.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello CCT75,

That is correct. I want you to first update the Windows* and after that is done follow the same steps to update the graphics driver by using the file "Kit126731.inf".

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
WCHIA10
Beginner

Dear David,

Apologies for the delay reply. You have resolved my sis' Acer Swift 3 external display issue after Windows updates. It works immediately after the Windows update when I followed your instruction to apply the Drivers Update. However, just in case, I did further Windows Update check and some some updates still pending. I proceed to update to the latest available (with the external display now working perfectly fine) and rebooted my sis' laptop just to verify. And it is still working good. See attached the latest DxDiag.

CT.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello CCT75,

I am really glad to know that my suggestions worked for you. For now I will proceed to close this request, nevertheless, if you need any more help do not hesitate to reply or else open a new thread with the issue.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos