7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2018 4:29 PM by Lander

Intel Aero 954400 Master

Lander

Good morning,

I'm doing the master work on drones. We wanted to buy a drone (Intel aero 954400) to perform a positioning control for what will be necessary a good GPS and the ability to send commands from a computer to advance or turn and also, a drone control by failure of one of the propellers so it is necessary to control the speed of the engines (the PWM signal) with this drone would it be possible to perform these tasks?

Thank you very much.

• 1. Re: Intel Aero 954400 Master
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Lander,

Thank you for your interest in the Intel Aero drone.

The Intel Aero Ready to Fly Drone is a kit for developers. Developers can modify the kit according to their professional judgment. Intel hasn't established operating limitations for the kit. We haven’t tested any configurations other than the base configuration. Developers are responsible for testing and ensuring the safety of their own configurations. Developers are also responsible for establishing the operating limits of those configurations.

The drone has an ESC and motor designed and manufactured by Yuneec that's been modified for Intel Aero.

- Input control interface : UART
          - ESC input voltage: 11.1 - 14.8 V

Recommended battery:

•  
            • Capacity: 4S or 3S
            •  
            • Connector: XT60
            •  
            • Size: most 4S/3S batteries fit (the maximum battery size is 150mm x 50mm x 32mm)
            •  
            • Note that a 4000 mAh battery last about 24 minutes while hovering
          The Intel Aero RTF drone uses the Aero Compute board. You can read more about it in our Hardware guide: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/boardsandkits/aero/intel-aero-compute-board-guide.pdf

Also you can find more info and guides about the RTF drone on our Wiki: https://github.com/intel-aero/meta-intel-aero/wiki

Hope this helps.

Regards,
          Octavian
          • 2. Re: Intel Aero 954400 Master
            Lander

Hello Octavian,

Sorry, before making the purchase I must have very clear the characteristics of the drone.

Therefore, can I see and modify the base configuration? Because I want to modify the PWM signals that are sent to the drone's engines independently. Can be done?

On the other hand, through the PuTTY program and SSH communication, could send orders to the drone from the computer (with the drone connected to the same wifi network as the pc) to advance, descend...?

I see that you have given me the characteristics of the recommended battery. The kit does not come with a battery?

Thank you very much.

Lander Ortiz.

• 3. Re: Intel Aero 954400 Master
              Intel Corporation

Hello Lander,

Thank you for your reply.

You can configure the PWM signals via the FPGA.

There are 2-byte frequency registers to configure each PWM output. Register value = 25MHz/Desired PWM frequency,

To set PWM0, for instance, to a frequency of 500Hz (2 ms) and 50% Duty Cycle (1 ms), the frequency register should be set to a value of, 25,000,000/500 = 50,000 which is 0xC350.

You can find more info about the FPGA on our wiki: https://github.com/intel-aero/meta-intel-aero/wiki/95-(References)-FPGA

The sample application can be used to configure this.

spi_xfer -b 1 -c 1 -d 5097 -w 2      
                  spi_xfer -b 1 -c 1 -d C398 -w 2

Also, the Aero Ready to Fly kit does not come with a battery.
              I only provided you the specs as a reference.  

Regarding your other question, can you please clarify what exactly you want to do through Putty? 
              You can connect the drone to flash it and program it.
              If you're asking about controlling the drone in real time through Putty, I'm not sure that is possible. 

Regards,
              Octavian 
              • 4. Re: Intel Aero 954400 Master
                Lander

Hello Octavian,

Thank you very much for the information.

In relation to the use of PuTTY:

I want to connect the drone and a computer to the same wifi network, and through the PuTTY program (type of connection: SSH) send orders to the drone to get around.

Example:

PC: Sending position command in space XYZ -> (15,20,5)

Dron: Reception of the command -> Move to that position

When the drone reaches the position I will send another position command and thus control it as if I were using the radio control system.

It would not be a control in real time, because at this time I do not need that accuracy but it is a control during the flight of the drone (it could be called flexible real time).

On the other hand, my co-worker when simulating the loss of a propeller (in order to keep the drone in flight), he needs one of the engines to turn in both directions to compensate the lost propeller. Can this be done?

Thank you,

Lander Ortiz

• 5. Re: Intel Aero 954400 Master
                  Intel Corporation

Hello Lander,

Thank you for your reply.

In short, it's possible to program the drone for autonomous flight. You can find samples on our wiki here: https://github.com/intel-aero/meta-intel-aero/wiki/04-Autonomous-drone-programming-in-Python

Regarding your second question, unfortunately, the aero isn't designed to compensate the loss of a propeller to mantain flight. 

Regards,
                  Octavian

• 6. Re: Intel Aero 954400 Master
                    Intel Corporation

Hello Lander,

Do you require any more assistance with this issue?

Regards,
                    Octavian

• 7. Re: Intel Aero 954400 Master
                      Lander

Hello Octavian,

No, thanks. Finally I will look for another option.

Regards,

Lander Ortiz