6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2018 11:29 AM by georg69

how can i power on the nuc without the power button?

yuesing

My nuc7i3 is behind the screen, It's hard to touch the power button.

So,if the NUC is completely off when the power cord is plugged in, how can i turn it on without the power button?

• 1. Re: how can i power on the nuc without the power button?
          N.Scott.Pearson

What you need to do is enable wake on power restore.

During a power on or a reboot, when the BIOS ("Intel NUC") splash screen appears, press F2 to request entry into BIOS Setup (the Visual BIOS program). Click on Advanced and then Power. In the Secondary Power Settings window on the right, set parameter After Power Failure to Power On. This setting says that, when power is restored, the NUC should automatically boot up. When you exit from Visual BIOS (either by pressing F10 or clicking on the circled "X" in the upper right-hand corner of the screen), remember to save the BIOS configuration so that this parameter change persists.

Hope this helps,

...S

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: how can i power on the nuc without the power button?
            yuesing

Thank you very much for your help. English is not my native language, so maybe there was some mistakes in my word.

My table lamp and the nuc are share one plug board, somgtimes the power is restored just because i want to use the lamp not the nuc.

So i don't think your advise fit me. Is there any mathods to instead of touching the power button?

I hope my expression is clear. Thank you for your attention agin.

• 3. Re: how can i power on the nuc without the power button?
              N.Scott.Pearson

Sorry, that's your only choice. Figure out a different way to handle power.

• 5. Re: how can i power on the nuc without the power button?
                lw1948

There may be another solution for you – Consumer Infrared Remote Control. You can use any standard remote control which complies with Microsoft Consumer Infrared usage models (RC-6). For example https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-RC1154013-Infrared-Following-Computers/dp/B0045JSZ54 .

Or any of Intel tested Remote Controls: http://compatibleproducts.intel.com/ProductDetails/ExportPeripheralInfo?moduleName=Intel%C2%AE%20NUC&productType=Kits&productName=Intel%C2%AE%20NUC%20Kit%20NUC7i3BNH

You need enable Enhanced Consumer IR function in Bios setting Advanced->Devices.

In addition, enable function: Wake from S4 and S5 vis CIR (in Advanced->Power).

In the beginning, the NUC shall be powered ON by the Power Button. Only now you can use the Remote Control to switch it OFF and ON.

Leon

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 6. Re: how can i power on the nuc without the power button?
                  georg69

I normally switch on (from a fully switched-off NUC) and off (not simply "sleep" or "hibernate") my NUC with IR remote control (RC-06 type). without  ever using power button

but , in addition to the steps correctly exposed by leon,

you have to :

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\Change when the computer sleeps\Change advanced power settings\Power buttons and lid\Sleep button action\Setting:

don't have the "Shut Down" option.

Possible solution:

Run: Regedit

Open: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Power\PowerSettings

Then, click on every folder until you find one folder that contains the "FriendlyName": @%SystemRoot%\system32\powrprof.dll,-251,Power buttons settings

mine is the folder: 4f971e89-eebd-4455-a8de-9e59040e7347

when you find it, open it and search for the forder that contais the "FriendlyName": @%SystemRoot%\system32\powrprof.dll,-255,sleep button action

mine is the folder: 96996bc0-ad50-47ec-923b-6f41874dd9eb

then, open the forlder: DefaultPowerSchemeValues

you will find 3 folders. For each folder you will have 3 "files". You need to change the value of the files (in every one of the 3 folders):

AcSettingIndex: to 3 (it is by default to 1)

DcSettingIndex: to 3 (it is by default to 1)

Then, you go back to the Control Panel:

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\Change when the computer sleeps\

and click on: Restore default settings for this plan

I have found this guide somewhere on the web, sometime ago..you have to follow it exactly step by step

it works great with any version of windows (7-8-10)