10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2018 10:55 AM by Ronald_Intel

NUC Hades Canyon - worth to wait?

NTechi

Hi all,

I would like to know if it is worth to wait for the coming NUC Hades Canyon. From specs like the combined Intel Prozessor/AMD gpu it looks like it could do basic video optimization using madvr which is nice.

My question is if old problems with NUCs will be solved in this new generation like:
      1.) 3D mvc incompatibility via HDMI 2.0 since it requires HDMI 1.4 and somehow current NUC 2.0 HDMIs have not been downwards compatible (e.g. see thread https://communities.intel.com/thread/112109?start=255&tstart=0 )
      2.) HDR support for video playback as well as streaming services like Netflix/Amazon?
      3.) With the new processor/gpu combination will players still be able to use 4k hardware acceleration?

NoTechi

• 1. Re: NUC Hades Canyon - worth to wait?
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello NTechi,

I understand that you want to know if it is worth waiting for the release of the Intel ® NUC Hades Canyon.

Regarding this, the unit has not yet been launched and for this we do not have the information to be able to provide you with details or properly answer your questions. I can recommend you to refer to the Intel ® Newsroom for details and updates of the unit.

Regards,
          David V

• 2. Re: NUC Hades Canyon - worth to wait?
            NTechi

Thank you David.

I guess I will just have to be a bit more patient. Really hoping especially the 3D HDMI topic is fixed since that would be my buy/not buy criteria

NoTechi

• 3. Re: NUC Hades Canyon - worth to wait?
              NTechi

Hi David,

since NUC Hades Canyon has been launched now do you know if 3D mvc is working via HDMI on the new NUCs?

NoTechi

• 4. Re: NUC Hades Canyon - worth to wait?
                Intel Corporation

Hello NTechi,
                Thank you for contacting us regarding the question that you have about our new Intel ® NUC Hades Canyon series; it will be more than pleasure to provide you with assistance on this matter.
                I am currently sending this case to the team in charge, so they will provide an answer in order to verify all the information regarding your compatibility question.
                This may cause a brief delay (23/48 hours) in between our messages; I appreciate your patience in advance.
                I will reach you out as soon as I receive a reply.
                I hope this helps.
                Best Regards,
                Diego S.

• 5. Re: NUC Hades Canyon - worth to wait?
                  Intel Corporation

Hello NTechi,
                  Thank you for your patience.
                  I regret to inform you that we had issues with our laboratory when testing the specified unit in order to find if it supports 3D MVC and we are asking to another department to proceed with tests.

We will return with an answer as soon as possible.
                  I appreciate your patience.
                  Best Regards, 
                  Diego S.

• 6. Re: NUC Hades Canyon - worth to wait?
                    NTechi

Diego,

thanks for keeping me (us) updated

Frederik

• 7. Re: NUC Hades Canyon - worth to wait?
                      Ronald_Intel

Hello NTechi,

I am from the Graphics support team, and recently the NUC support team asked me to test HDR and 3D MVC functionalities on the Hades Canyon. My test bench consisted on said NUC connected over HDMI 2.0 to an LG OLED55E6P.

First I need to clarify that the Hades Canyon hasn't been officially released as of today, and as such, I was working with an engineering sample (i.e. unofficial BIOS and drivers), and while I don't expect things to change with the Production units, please take these results as preliminary only.

As for my test results, I am glad to confirm that HDR functionality works without issues.

I was also able to test S3D MVC funcionality (1920x1080p only) and got it to work relatively easy. This was done using Kodi 17.6 MSDK MVC and using one of the MVC test clips available here.

I hope this information helps.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

• 8. Re: NUC Hades Canyon - worth to wait?
                        NTechi

Ronald,

great many thanks that was the answer I was hoping for!

I wasn't aware that it is not released since there are some reviews out there already but I guess it will not be much longer.

NoTechi

• 9. Re: NUC Hades Canyon - worth to wait?
                          movie78

@Ronald_Intel

Can you show us some demo?

• 10. Re: NUC Hades Canyon - worth to wait?
                            Ronald_Intel

Hello movie78,

It is tricky to show S3D MVC over recorded video, thus I believe doing a demo would not serve it justice. Most importantly this is still an unreleased product, and as such we'll need to wait for it to be officially released.

Let's be on the lookout for official marketing material once the NUC8i7HxK is released, and if we can't find relevant information related to S3D MVC, then I'll return to this thread and try to post something for all of you.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.