Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

i7-8700K failed on first power on!

idata
Employee

I built a configuration with a MSI Z370 Carbon motherboard and an i7-8700K. On the first power on the screen remained blank and I quickly found out that the CPU Failed LED was on. I don't have any other motherboard to verify that the issue is the processor but the diagnostic seems obvious!

Did anyone face such a radical problem with a CPU which is supposed to be the higher end of this Intel family?

References are:

i7-8700K

SR3QR 3.7GHZ

L745D012

Considering the number of those processors out there I guess I'm just a very very unlucky one, and the most unfortunate is that I have to wait a couple of week to go back to the place where I bought it.

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AlHill
Super User

And, how certain are you that you installed the paste and processor correctly?

How certain are you that the motherboard socket and motherboard itself is known good?

Let us not jump to conclusions about the processor. Much more testing and information is needed.

Doc

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I agree with Al; there is a far, far higher likelihood of the issue being with the board than there is of it being with the processor. In order to complete their configuration, every single processor has to go through a thorough set of tests. It was working perfectly when it went into the packaging. On the other side, you don't really think that the boards coming out of China are all tested, do you? [If you do, I have some swampland I want to sell you at a really great price!]

...S

0 Kudos
VGema
Novice

what is your power supply and how did you configured it?

0 Kudos