Answers (N/A if not applicable)
Provide a detailed description of the issue
Audio dropout in Ableton Live 10 when switching windows using Win+Tab in single channel memory configuration
Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")
Always (100%): X
Very Sporadic (<20%):
Brand and Model of the system.
Lenovo ThinkPad E570p
Hybrid or switchable graphics system?
ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?
Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below).
LFP = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)
EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)
1920x1080 IPS Laptop Panel
How much memory [RAM] in the system (see note2 below).
2 x 16 GB memory modules. To reproduce issue, remove one memory module so that Intel graphics is bottlenecked by reduced memory bandwidth in single channel configuration.
Provide any other hardware needed to replicate the issue.
ie: Cables&brand, cable type [vga, hdmi, DP, etc], dock, dongles/adapters, etc
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 2nd Gen
Hardware Stepping (see note1 below).
Operating System version (see note2 below).
10.0.16299 Build 16299
VBIOS (video BIOS) version. This can be found in “information page” of CUI (right click on Desktop and select “Graphics Properties”.
Graphics Driver version; for both integrated Intel and 3rd party vendors (see note2 below).
SW or Apps version used to replicate the issue.
Single display, clone, or extended (see note2 below).
Display resolution & refresh rate setting of each display (see note2 below).
1920x1080 60 Hz
AC or DC mode, i.e. is power cable plugged in or not?
How to repro
Please provide steps to replicate the issue. These steps are very crucial to finding the root cause and fix.
A screenshot to illustrate the issue is a huge plus. A video of the failure is even better! Attach to the post or provide the YouTube link.
- Remove one 16 GB memory modules so memory is changed from dual-channel to single-channel
- Install Focusrite USB ASIO Driver 4.36.5 from focusrite.com
- Connect Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 2nd Gen interface
- Install Ableton Live 10 trial from www.ableton.com
- Start Ableton Live 10
- Click Options > Preferences > Audio tab
- Set Driver Type to ASIO
- Set Audio Device to Focusrite USB ASIO
- Set In/Out Sample Rate to 44100
- Click Hardware Setup, set Buffer Size to 64 and Close
- Close Preferences
- Open C:\ProgramData\Ableton\Live 10 Trial\Resources\Core Library\Lessons\Demo Songs\Live 10 Suite Demo Song.als
- Activate Loop Switch icon at top of window
- Click Play button
- Press win+e 50 times to open 50 explorer windows
- Repeatedly press win+tab quickly until audio dropout occurs (you will hear the audio skip)
- Power off the system, reinstall second 16 GB memory module, repeat steps 5-16. Notice the issue no longer occurs.
Thank you so much for contacting us regarding the issue that you are experiencing with your system, it will be more than a pleasure to assist you.
I really appreciate all the information provided; it is extremely helpful in order to find a solution/fix to your problem.
I am currently verifying your case in order to try to replicate the issue and to provide an accurate answer since it is something totally out of our regular basis support.
This may cause a brief delay between our answers so I really appreciate your patience in advance.
I will reach you out as soon as we have any update on the case.
Thank you for your patience, I really appreciate it.
We determined that this issue requires specialized and proprietary equipment, thus the best approach is reporting this issue to the component manufacturer (that way they can reproduce and debug, if it is determined to be Intel issue they can report it directly to us with debug results)
Checking the product site, it appears the manufacturer does recommend several things in order to optimize the performance (i.e. single-channel vs dual-channel memory mode):
We strongly recommend you to get in touch with the system manufacturer for assistance on this matter.
I hope this helps,
It occurs with USB audio interfaces from several manufacturers.
All of them have this issue with ASIO audio dropouts caused by Intel graphics load.
The ones I tested were:
- Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 2nd Gen (Driver Version: 4.36.5)
- Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 (Driver Version: 4.2.0)
- Propellerhead Balance (Driver Version: 1.1.0)
- RME Babyface Pro (Driver Version: 1.0.99)
I totally understand.
I will go ahead an escalate your case to higher management to face further review, I cannot promise any resolution or ET but I will make sure that it will be reviewed.
As soon as I have news, I will reach you out.