Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20626 Discussions

Intel HD Graphics 4400 - idle clock stuck at 600MhZ

JColl8
Novice

Hello,

I recently upgraded to Windows Fall Creators update and I think that's when I noticed this slight issue - the IGP in my Intel Core i5-4310U is stuck at 600MhZ (or 599MhZ / 588.8MhZ depending on SW which displays the value) even though the base clock should be 200MhZ, if I am not mistaken. The boost to about 1.1GhZ works OK, although I noticed for some reason it holds these higher frequencies for only a few minutes and then goes to 600MhZ. Temperatures are not a problem, maximum I reached was about 78 °C (while boosted to 1.1GhZ).

I am pretty sure this wasn't the issue before I upgraded to Win10FCU, but I could be wrong. I tried pretty much all versions (about 4 or 5) of driver for the 4400 (of course uninstalling the previous one using DDU). I settled for the Dell issued driver (Intel driver date 10/16/2017, 20.19.15.4835).

Maybe the software doesn't read the values correctly? Although I tried GPU-Z, Intel extreme tuning utility and HWINFO - all the same, so if this is the case, some lower layer doesn't present the values as it should.

The fact that it doesn't underclock to the base frequency is not really something I would notice on day to day basis, but the boosting only lasting for a couple of minutes (again, temperatures are OK and this wasn't an issue like two months ago, before upgrading windows) is more of a problem..

BTW, it happens independently on how many monitors I have connected, it is the same with two external ones as well as with everything disconnected, laptop running from battery only and only the laptop display is on..

The power options in both windows and Intel "graphics settings" are default.

I also attached some screenshots.. What I find interesting is - GPU-Z doesn't report higher frequency even if there is about 25% load on the GPU. But if I try to benchmark or play a game, it goes to 1.1GhZ without problem. It seems like it only displays a different frequency if there is sustained load on the GPU, otherwise it is just stuck at 600MhZ..

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

see above..

Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")<p> 

Always (100%): X

Often (51-99%):

Sporadic (20-50%):

Very Sporadic (<20%):

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Dell Latitude E7440

<td s...
0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hello JeffCollins,

Thank you so much for contacting us regarding the questions and inquiries that you have about your Intel Core i5-4310U, it will be more than a pleasure to help you out with the information that you may need.

I was taking a look at your thread I understand the fact that the unit displays 600MhZ might seem like an issue, but it is actually completely normal, whether the latest Windows 10 FCU updated is installed or not.

We extremely appreciate the information attached to the account; it was extremely helpful in order to replicate your environment.

We tested two machines with the exact same HD Graphics 4000, the difference between the two machines was the latest Windows 10 FCU being present in one of the systems while the other was lacking of updates.

The machines displayed on both scenarios an average of 600MhZ which is caused by the basic protocols from the OS (Loading the operating system, apps on the background, the activity from the peripherals, etc) and it could be forced by using our IPDT tool running on the stress test mode, which made it up to 1.1 GhZ or less for just few seconds and the dropped to 600MhZ again as it is expected on this dynamic feature.

You can actually run a test a monitor the results with the following tool:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

If the unit is not running an actual OS the values can go to the minimum (200 MHz) however since it is a dynamic feature I will decrease for just few seconds (same behavior when it increases)

Please note that use GPU-Z, Intel extreme tuning utility to perform our tests and to determine that the average value will be 600MhZ.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Diego S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Have you looked at the BIOS' configuration of the graphics engine to see whether it is the cause of the limitations?

...S

idata
Employee

Hello JeffCollins,

Thank you so much for contacting us regarding the questions and inquiries that you have about your Intel Core i5-4310U, it will be more than a pleasure to help you out with the information that you may need.

I was taking a look at your thread I understand the fact that the unit displays 600MhZ might seem like an issue, but it is actually completely normal, whether the latest Windows 10 FCU updated is installed or not.

We extremely appreciate the information attached to the account; it was extremely helpful in order to replicate your environment.

We tested two machines with the exact same HD Graphics 4000, the difference between the two machines was the latest Windows 10 FCU being present in one of the systems while the other was lacking of updates.

The machines displayed on both scenarios an average of 600MhZ which is caused by the basic protocols from the OS (Loading the operating system, apps on the background, the activity from the peripherals, etc) and it could be forced by using our IPDT tool running on the stress test mode, which made it up to 1.1 GhZ or less for just few seconds and the dropped to 600MhZ again as it is expected on this dynamic feature.

You can actually run a test a monitor the results with the following tool:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

If the unit is not running an actual OS the values can go to the minimum (200 MHz) however since it is a dynamic feature I will decrease for just few seconds (same behavior when it increases)

Please note that use GPU-Z, Intel extreme tuning utility to perform our tests and to determine that the average value will be 600MhZ.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Diego S

0 Kudos
JColl8
Novice

Thank you for responding so quickly. Based on your answer I suppose this behaviour is to be expected and is not a sign of an error. Good to know, I will mark your answer as the correct one.

Thanks again,

Jeff

0 Kudos
JColl8
Novice

By the way yesterday I solved the second issue regarding performance decrease after a while of high workload on the GPU (after about half an hour in a game for example it would underclock to about 600MHz and the fps would drop). I flashed a BIOS upgrade from Dell, reinstalled my GPU drivers and wiped and reinstalled steam (deleted every possible remains from the old installation - registry and all). One of those things fixed the issue, the chip can now boost to 1