10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2018 1:10 PM by gorbick

connect NUC to monitor with DVI-D and DisplayPort inputs

gorbick

Hello,

I am trying to connect my NUC6CAYH to HP Z23i Monitor. The problem is my NUC has hdmi (and vga) outputs. But the monitor has DVI-D or DisplayPort inputs (and vga). One simple solution would be to use a VGA cable, but I thought I would benefit from using more advanced digital video protocols.

I purchased on Amazon a hdmi->DVI cable. I tested it on my laptop with hdmi output, and it connects to my monitor without any problems.

Also, I was able to connect my NUC to HDTV via hdmi cable - it all works fine.

However, if I try to connect my nuc to my monitor with this hdmi->DVI cable - there is no signal.

I have a feeling that I need a better hdmi->DVI cable, perhaps it should support certain version of hdmi (1.4? 2.0?), but I am not sure.

I wonder if anyone knows a solution?

• 1. Re: connect NUC to monitor with DVI-D and DisplayPort inputs
          leonmerts

Hi gorbick,

Do you have more information about the HDMI -> DVI cable?

DVI comes in a few models; DVI-I, DVI-D and DVI-A where DVI-I & DVI-D can also be single link or dual link.

Besides the difference in connector type the only difference I can think of is that DVI uses RGB and HDMI can also support YCbCr 4:4:4 & 4:2:2

Regards,

Leon merts

• 2. Re: connect NUC to monitor with DVI-D and DisplayPort inputs
            gorbick

unfortunately, there is no much info about the cable. Here is the link on amazon:

LinkinPerk HDMI to DVI Cable, Glod-Plated High Speed: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Basically, all it says is: "Easily connects [...] from HDMI source devices such as Blu-ray player, computer, Apple TV, Roku streaming media player, Play Station 3/4, Xbox One/360, or Nintendo Wii to monitors with DVI input"

• 3. Re: connect NUC to monitor with DVI-D and DisplayPort inputs
              leonmerts

In the second picture it looks like DVI-D dual link, but it also looks a little bit like there is a shadow of two pins below the horizontal flat pin (those pins, if there, are for analog signals, but are not used because the other end is HDMI / Digital only).

Do you happen to have a second connection (VGA / DP) connected to the HP monitor? If yes, the input selection may default to one of the other connection instead then the DVI-D connector on your monitor. you can try and change that is the OSD (On-Screen Display) settings.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Leon Merts

• 4. Re: connect NUC to monitor with DVI-D and DisplayPort inputs
                gorbick

there is nothing else connected to the monitor. I also attempted to use OSD setting and manually force it to DVI input - but there was no signal.

My first thought was that the hdmi->DVI cable is probably damaged/not working. But then I plugged it into my laptop hdmi output, and it connected to the monitor without any troubles.

And that's why my second thought was that NUC hdmi out is somehow different (higher protocol?) from my few years old laptop hdmi out. I even attempted to fiddle with BIOS settings. But the only thing I found with relation to hdmi is to enable/disable CEC. I disabled that, but it had no effect.

• 5. Re: connect NUC to monitor with DVI-D and DisplayPort inputs
                  leonmerts

Check in the bios what the first display output is (and change if needed). I know from my NUC717BNH that I can select which output is primary and which one is secondary. Maybe HDMI is the secondary output by default?

• 6. Re: connect NUC to monitor with DVI-D and DisplayPort inputs
                    Intel Corporation
                    This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello, everyone.

gorbick: I understand you are not able to connect your NUC6CAYH to an HP Z23i Monitor. Allow me to help you regarding this issue you are facing.

By the Amazon link you provided of the HDMI to DVI cable I was able to see that the DVI connector is a Dual Link one which is not supported by the Intel® NUC. The Intel® NUC will only support DVI Single Link so, with the configuration you are using right now, the connection between the NUC and the monitor will not be possible.

We have a couple of options now: You can try using an HDMI® to Display Port cable. Please bear in mind that the results may vary using this connection since you are converting HDMI® which has less bandwidth than DP.
                    You can also try using a single link to dual link connector and, once again, this can and can not work properly.
                    Additionally, you can try as well using a VGA to DP cable but, the results of the conversion of an analog to digital is a little bit risky and the results may vary. 
                    Finally, you can consider changing the monitor in order to reach an HDMI® to HDMI® connection or VGA to VGA connection and avoid any connection problem.

I hope this answers all your questions.

Antony S.

• 7. Re: connect NUC to monitor with DVI-D and DisplayPort inputs
                      leonmerts

Hi Antony,

Thanks for the extra insights. I never would have guessed a single / dual link DVI connection would make a difference.

@ gorbick if you still can return / replace the cable for a correct version DVI-D / single link cable, that would be great.

Regards,

Leon Merts

• 8. Re: connect NUC to monitor with DVI-D and DisplayPort inputs
                        gorbick

Hello Antony and Leon,

Thank you very much for your replies. It's good to know about this important difference between single-link and dual-link connections. From what I can read in internet, dual-link DVI have some additional pins in the centre of the connector. Is this how I shall identify whether or not the cable is dual-link?

Anyway, I now connected my NUC to the monitor via standard VGA cable. The picture quality is fine, so perhaps I just stick to it, as there is no point investing more money into digital link, if there is no difference. Just need to make sure my new monitor has hdmi input, when I decide to upgrade it

Regards,

Andrey

• 9. Re: connect NUC to monitor with DVI-D and DisplayPort inputs
                          leonmerts

Hi gorbick,

The difference is indeed the additional pins in the center that define single or dual link. As shown here: Digital Visual Interface - Wikipedia

Regards,

Leon Merts

• 10. Re: connect NUC to monitor with DVI-D and DisplayPort inputs
                            gorbick

Hi again,

Just to update: I have purchased a different hdmi->dvi cable today, and this time I checked this is a single link DVI (18+1 pin, instead of 24+1 pin). And it works fine! Thank you for your help!

regards,

Andrey