4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2018 7:19 PM by Laisseraller

Help with Blue death

Laisseraller

I purchased a new computer in 2016 at Office Max it was a HP laptop.  Its was strange because it had a small hard drive, but the store said, that you can purchase an external hard drive and you should be alright? whiich I did, yet during my last update from windows 10, an error message came up asking me to make room on my computer for windows 10 update, needed 8% available?  so, I said, yes, and the computer was working on making room, well two hours later the screen went blue then dark?  Now it will not boot up?  I contacted the store where I purchased the computer they said, my 12 months warranty had passed but you have purchased an extended warranty thru a 3 party Square Trade!  They suggested I contact them which I did , they had me run a hard drive test which it passed, they said, since it passed their is nothing they can do its a software issue and all they can do is phone support?  Now, I have found a computer guru in my city he said, you might want to replace that hard drive with a bigger one he suggested 2TB one he pointed out some brands and said, if I purchase one bring it along with your computer and we can do business.  Well when I contact the seller infact several sellers, they all said, my serial # & product # said, "NO" not compatable?  So, I decided to contact an expert that installed hard drives for a living,

Hello John,

Your machine has a 32GB eMMC solid state drive in it which are soldered to the

motherboard and are not upgradeable or replaceable...

Gregory

Drive Soluitions

I am working currently on an 2003 HP Desktop with old everything,  I tried to get my computer to load a boot file to get my new computer to start using USB memory stick but cannot get the boot USB to work?  I have exhausted my options, is my computer a paper weight?

The Above computer is an HP with Intel inside! The quality of HP has sure gone down! Perhaps Intel should reconsider

when contracting to put their chip inside first!

Hello John,

Your machine has a 32GB eMMC solid state drive in it which are soldered to the

motherboard and are not upgradeable or replaceable...

Gregory

Drive Soluitions

A BGA package which is bonded totally with the board.

Not user replaceable. Not repair technician upgradeable.

These boards will have components also on the underside, so heating it will make it to detach also chips on the underside.

Traces have no tolerance for reworks, even factories who make them just scrap them when something doesn't solder properly.

The only way to upgrade the device is to swap with a motherboard with another eMMC soldered.

• 1. Re: Help with Blue death
          N.Scott.Pearson

No, you can always reinstall Windows 10 from scratch. You can download the ISO image from Microsoft and they even provide a tool to build the bootable flash disk you need to do the installation process. If you get the image for the latest version of Windows, then you won't have to go through the upgrade process again.

...S

• 2. Re: Help with Blue death
            Laisseraller

Thanks Scott! Great Idea!, do not know what your comments about image has to do with that?  As you can see I do not have a lot of experience in software installs, using USB Memory Sticks? 

• 3. Re: Help with Blue death
              N.Scott.Pearson

Here is the process to follow to accomplish this:

1. On a separate PC,
                1. Download the tool from Microsoft. It is available here: Download Windows 10.
                2. Insert a USB flash drive into your PC. Note: it must be at least 8GB in size.
                3. Start the tool running.
                4. At the What do you want to do? scene, select Create installation media and then press Next.
                5. At the Select language, architecture and edition scene, use the drop-down boxes to select the version of Windows 10 you want to install. The defaults are often exactly what you want.
                6. Uncheck Use the recommended options for this PC and then press Next.
                7. At the Choose which media to use scene, select USB flash drive and then press Next.
                8. Select the appropriate entry in the list that matches your USB flash drive and press Next.
                9. Let the tool proceed to download the image and load it onto this USB flash disk.
                10. Once this is complete, go to the Manufacturer's page for your laptop and download all driver packages that they provide there. You will save these onto the USB flash disk. I usually place them in a folder named "Drivers".
              2. On your laptop,
                1. Insert the USB flash drive and then power on. Do whatever is necessary to boot from the USB flash drive.
                2. Once the Windows installer get to the scene where you pick where to install Windows 10, you want to do the following:
                  1. Delete all partitions on the eMMC drive.
                  2. Select to install to the unpartitioned space on the eMMC drive. This should be the only entry that exists once you delete all existing partitions.
                3. When asked whether you want to download updates, say no (you can download them once the installation is complete).
                4. Complete the installation and boot to it.
                5. Create a new user account or login to your existing account.
                6. Setup a wireless connection.
                7. Browse to the "Drivers" folder on the USB flash disk.
                8. Run the installers for each of the packages you downloaded. Some may require that you reboot the laptop. You can do so.
                9. Once you've installed all of the packages, click on the Windows Start button and then on the Settings icon (which looks like a gear).
                10. Click on Update & Security and then on the Check for updates button. It should find updates and start their download and install. Let it run. Some reboots may be required.

You are now ready to go.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask...

...S

• 4. Re: Help with Blue death
                Laisseraller

Wow! I have never had such a complete reply! with all the steps also!  Thank-you!  I have copied it and will follow! JP