11 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2018 12:23 PM by Intel Corporation

Newer drivers broke OpenGL support for the HD Graphics 620

Trevor_Z

I have a Lenovo Yoga 520, with an Intel HD 620 GPU and i5 7200u CPU, using Windows 10 version 1709 build 16299.248.

Every driver version after 21.20.16.4627 results in OpenGL applications crashing on start, the only way to run them is to roll back to that earlier version. I have tried versions 22.20.16.4749 (distributed by Lenovo) and 23.20.16.4944 (downloaded straight from Intel).

One specific application, Blender 2.8 (downloaded from here: Grease Pencil 2.8 Branch (WIP) - GraphicAll.org ), requires OpenGL 3.3 and mentions the file ig9icd64.dll when it crashes.

• 1. Re: Newer drivers broke OpenGL support for the HD Graphics 620
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Trevor_Z,

Thank you for contacting us regarding the issue that you are experiencing with the last version of drivers (23.20.16.4944) for your Intel HD 620 GPU, I understand that you are having issues with applications that use OpenGL such as Grease Pencil 2.8 Branch.
          Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience that this may cause.
          In order to help you better I would like to gather more information about the configuration you have in the computer.  Please attach to this thread the .txt file the Intel System Support Utility will generate through https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility
          To attach a file, you must click •Use Advanced Editor” on the upper right hand corner of the response box, then the “attach” option will appear on the bottom right hand corner of the response box.
          On the meantime I want to let you know that we are performing further research in order to help you out on this matter, so as soon as we have any update or new information we will reach you.
          I hope to hear from you soon,

Best Regards,
           Diego S

• 2. Re: Newer drivers broke OpenGL support for the HD Graphics 620
            Trevor_Z

Don´t know if it makes a difference or which one to send, so here is both the file for when 21.20.16.4627 is installed, in which OpenGL apps work normally, and for 23.20.16.4944, when all OpenGL apps crash on initialization.

Also, a screenshot of Blender´s error message.

Thanks for the attention to this issue.

• 3. Re: Newer drivers broke OpenGL support for the HD Graphics 620
              Intel Corporation

Hello Trevor_Z

Thank you for your response.
              The information provided was extremely helpful in order to replicate your issue, we really appreciate your commitment.
              We are escalating the case to higher management so they can take a look to the issue and the results of the tests that we performed. As soon as we have an answer we will reach you out.
              On the meantime, let me ask, have you tried a  Grease Pencil version Prior to the 2.8 branch, just for troubleshooting purposes?
              I really hope to hear from you soon.
              Best regards,
              Diego S.

• 4. Re: Newer drivers broke OpenGL support for the HD Graphics 620
                Trevor_Z

Just a correction, the name of the app is Blender.

"2.8 Grease Pencil branch" is the version I was running.

Yes, I just tested the prior version, Blender 2.79 (downloaded from here: https://www.blender.org/download/) and it also crashes with the latest driver.

If this is of relevance, Blender 2.79 required OpenGL 2.1, and Blender 2.80 now requires OpenGL 3.3.

• 5. Re: Newer drivers broke OpenGL support for the HD Graphics 620
                  Intel Corporation

Hello Trevor_Z

Thank you for your reply.
                  I really appreciate the information provided, as shared before we sent the case in order to be handled and studied by another team while we are trying to replicate your environment.
                  I will reach you out as soon as we have an answer.
                  Best regards,

Diego S.

• 6. Re: Newer drivers broke OpenGL support for the HD Graphics 620
                    Intel Corporation

Hello Trevor_Z,
                    Thank you for your patience, I truly appreciate it.
                    We received the results from the tests of the issue that you have been experiencing.
                    We have not been able to reproduce this issue with both Grease Pencil 2.8 Branch (WIP) and Blender 2.79b and 2.80
                     When running these apps with HD Graphics 620 and driver 15.65.4944 both launched correctly, no errors.
                    We uploaded the one of the tests here:
                     https://youtu.be/Qe-jfty2mKo
                    Since the drivers are working fine, the issue could be with the application itself. We strongly suggest  you contacting the application support for further assistance.
                    However please let us know if there is something missing from our tests or if there is any update on your case, we are here to serve.
                    I Hope to hear from you soon.
                    Best Regards,
                    Diego S.

• 7. Re: Newer drivers broke OpenGL support for the HD Graphics 620
                      Intel Corporation

Hello  Trevor_Z ,
                      I was taking a look to your case and I wanted to know if you need further assistance?
                      Please do not hesitate on contacting us back if you have any other question or concern.
                      Best Regards,
                      Diego S.

• 8. Re: Newer drivers broke OpenGL support for the HD Graphics 620
                        WernerSlabon

Hello Diego,

I want to join this - almost- dead topic.

I'm developing an application which is also using OpenGL to visualize some 3D graphics.

In the past years (the application is now 20ys old - but still under active development) I often experienced problems with Intel Graphics and OpenGL (never with AMD or Nvidea).

Mostly the problems "disappeared" - probably because the customers gave up or found some solution (one was to deactivate the Intel GPU on computers with an additional Nvidea/AMD GPU)  ...

Now the issue is back - actually it came up a couple of times in the past year - from from notebooks around the world).

Today I received a notebook for the next time to follow up the issue and to find a solution.

So far the story - and now my observations:

1. I build a small OpenGL application with Visual Studio 2017. I used the "mouse.c" windows sample from OpenGL.org

2. Running the application on the notebook (Lenovo T470 with Intel HD Graphics 520) caused an immediate crash on startup wglMakeCurrent(...) - at the same address as my application.

Trying around with the code and reading blog posts didn't help UNLESS I read this topic on this forum (from last year):OpenGL driver crash as USER but not as ADMIN

OpenGL driver crash as USER but not as ADMIN

Ok, I gave it a try ...

After activating the Administrator account, I logged in and executed the application: IT'S RUNNING!

Then I tried my application: IT'S RUNNING

Then I created a local user account with Administrators group membership: IT'S RUNNING

Then I removed the local user account from the Administrators group: IT'S (STILL) RUNNING

Then I tried the USER DOMAIN ACCOUNT (with local admin membership): IT'S CRASHING

Then I tried the USER DOMAIN ACCOUNT (without local admin membership): IT'S CRASHING

Note:

On my personal convertible (Lenovo Yoga 900 Intel Graphics 520 on Windows 10). I don't experience any problems.

My conclusion:

... is that user/admin rights don't seem to be the problem.

... But probably Windows 7 with domain accounts or domain account settings / group policies ?

Attachments:

* I've attached the Visual Studio 2017 solution/source for the test application.

* Depending on the actual Graphics 520 driver the application crashed immediately or when resizing the window.

15.45.23.4860 - Crash on startup

15.40.14.4325 - Windows apears and work until resizing the window

* Test machine

Lenovo T470 (Notebook)

Windows 7 Enterprise

Intel Graphics 520 with drivers mentioned above

* In the x64\Release folder you can find

-> The compiled standalone executable (no VS libraries required) including the PDB file

-> A screenshot of Visual Studio Debugger (showing stack trace, source line, modules and disassembly of crash address)

-> A minidump with heap for own diagnostic (if you have your drivers PDB you [a developer] should be able to restore the whole stack trace and function names)

If you need more information / assistance please contact me.

I'm very interested to solve the issue - and have access to a notebook to reproduce the error for the next 2-3 weeks.

Best regards

Werner Slabon

• 9. Re: Newer drivers broke OpenGL support for the HD Graphics 620
                          Intel Corporation

Hello WernerSlabon,

We really appreciate all the information that you provided.

Based on the information that you shared with us, we will need you to create a new ticket through the right path of support.

You can access our developing forums here:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/developing-games-and-graphics-on-intel

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Diego S.

• 10. Re: Newer drivers broke OpenGL support for the HD Graphics 620
                            WernerSlabon

Hello Diego,

I posted this issue on the other forum as you requested.

But there's NO activity / response even no "hello", we take care about this issue!!! :-(

Two days ago we were able to find the Windows setting responsible for these crashes:

-> If a user account is set to use the "Classic" theme the driver crashes when starting an OpenGL application.

-> If the user account is changed to "Windows 7" theme the crash disappears and the applications work.

Best regards

Werner Slabon

• 11. Re: Newer drivers broke OpenGL support for the HD Graphics 620
                              Intel Corporation

Hello WernerSlabon,
                              I am very glad to hear that you were able to find the Windows* setting that causes the driver to crash.
                              I'll let the developing team know about the issue and forward your post.
                              We expect a longer-term solution from the issue, but Intel* does not know when that will be available.
                              Best Regards,
                              Diego S.