1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 19, 2018 4:20 PM by Intel Corporation

[NUC5i5MYBE] Microphone not working on Ubuntu 16.04

Hi experts,

On an Intel NUC5i5MYBE board running Ubuntu 16.04 OS, I want to run voice recording and playback applications (with ALSA module). I use a standard headset connected to the front panel jack port.

On Windows 10, I have installed the Realtek High Definition Audio Driver delivered by Intel.  After that, the headset (microphone and headphone) work fine. This means the issue is not due to hardware mismatch between the headset and the jack port.

On Ubuntu 16.04 and Ubuntu 17.05, only aplay works as expected. The microphone doesn't seem to be detected. Although it appears as Built-In Audio in PulseAudio, changing the input volume doesn't affect the input level, always 0. The sound card is visible in /proc/asound/card1 and uses the Codec ALC283. Alsamixer shows 'Mic Boost', 'Capture' devices. When devices are set to 100% volume and 'Capture' is set as recording, arecord only gets null packets.

I followed the steps explained in HdaIntelSoundHowto - Community Help Wiki, section 'Extra Hints to Get Sound Working' without success. Adding the line 'options snd-hda-intel model=auto' to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf didn't solve the problem.

Are there a specific ALSA configuration to set for the ALC283 module or a driver installation for Ubuntu that I missed?