11 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2010 1:57 PM by Domain

Intel DX58SO 5112 bios update

tex2xx

Wednesday, March 31, 2010,

Intel has released a new bios update for it's top of the line Extreme Motherboard, the DX58SO.

Here's the link.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18868&ProdId=3018&lang=eng

Care should be taken when updating a motherboard bios to prevent failures.

Enjoy.

Tex.

• 1. Re: Intel DX58SO 5112 bios update
          Domain

Here we go again...

This one shares the same symptoms as 4598/5020... with a twist.  IFLASH (w/ force defaults) results in i7-920 (D0 Stepping) being set to 133MHz BCLK on first boot, and multiplier is 25.  First time you try to configure performance options, BLCK gets set to 135, and now instead of hanging when setting it back to 133MHz, it just refuses to let you lower it below 135MHz.  Time will tell if it has the same shutdown/reboot hang/no-boot that the previous version exhibited.

Considering that Intel representatives won't respond to my question regarding warranty coverage when the board is forcing the system to run outside of specifications, I really have to wonder who is writing / testing these BIOS releases... perhaps it is outsourced (hence dismal QA) like everything else lately.

• 2. Re: Intel DX58SO 5112 bios update
            tex2xx

After updating two Dx58so motherboards, it appears the 135mhz clock speed issue may be fixed.

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/18868/eng/SO_5112_ReleaseNotes.pdf

Check out the release notes.  Pdf reader required.

I used the .bio file / usb / F7 method myself.

Enjoy.

Tex.

PS The string " Intel Emerge Microcode" in the .bio file is misspelled,

• 3. Re: Intel DX58SO 5112 bios update
              Domain

Hmm, perhaps there are variations  in behavior between the AA revisions of this board.  Release notes state that 133MHz issue is solved, problem is I can't even force the board to 133MHz any longer (in 5020 I could, but that resulted in failed boot).  Still doesn't explain why system tries to default to 25 turbo multiplier either. Hasn't totally hung on reboot/shutdown as of yet (crossing my fingers for now).

• 4. Re: Intel DX58SO 5112 bios update
                tex2xx

I updated two mb's to 5112, one a ex965 c0, AAE-29331-503

and a Core i7 920 c0 stepping, AAE-29331-404.

Power down restarts keep the 133mhz clock.

I turned off the newly defaulted c idle states.

Tex.

• 5. Re: Intel DX58SO 5112 bios update
                  Domain

Hmmm not sure there... DX58SO is E29331-503, and Processor is i7-920 D0.  Shy of pulling the CMOS battery, the only behavior I can get with this configuration is 133 w/ 25 Turbo Multiplier (this is default state board boots in after loading defaults), or 135 w/ 22 Turbo Multiplier (this is state after going into performance settings and not changing anything)... problem being neither of these are "correct".

• 6. Re: Intel DX58SO 5112 bios update
                    tex2xx

Wild card - I used the optional defaults to start?

Tex.

• 7. Re: Intel DX58SO 5112 bios update
                      RJL190365

I just installed this BIOS. It still defaults to 135MHz BCLK when I load the Setup Defaults. But now I can manually reset the BCLK to the stock 133MHz and not have the system hang during POST. With the previous 5020 BIOS version, every time I manually set 133MHz the system would hang on POST, forcing me to reset the CMOS by momentarily pulling out the battery.

And yes, the default maximum turbo speed seems to be set at 25x when the defaults are loaded, but automatically resets to the proper 22x when I restarted the system.

As such, the 5112 BIOS is acceptable, but could still be better. I used the "recovery" method of updating the BIOS (using a USB pen drive), and then once updated I momentarily pulled the battery to reset the CMOS. This helped.

My board's AA revision number is E29331-701 (the first revision with the redesigned edge-mounted internal SATA ports). My system's processor is an i7-920 D0.

• 8. Re: Intel DX58SO 5112 bios update
                        Nico

no change on my board either. rev 501 i got. bclk still defaults to 135. no problem anyway.

• 9. Re: Intel DX58SO 5112 bios update
                          Domain

Hmm, we'll haven't had any non-post issues still (*crosses fingers*).  I did experiment with the BIOS somewhat though.  Load Defaults/CMOS clear seems to always result in 25 multiplier on first boot afterwards, and 133MHz BCLK.  Attempting to change board performance settings results in BCLK automatically being pushed to 135MHz, and proposed multiplier to 22.  However, I can adjust BCLK down to 133... if and only if I never enter the memory settings screen.  Once I enter that screen, BCLK is locked to 135MHz for the remainder of BIOS configuration session (i.e. you can raise it, but it refuses to be lowered below 135).

Very very strange...

• 10. Re: Intel DX58SO 5112 bios update
                            Nico

i would use a bios that sets the right bclk or that you can set right. otherwise, the implicit memory clock raise (135*8=1080) may lead to instability and/or damage to your RAM. that being said, most ram can handle that slight increase with no problem.

• 11. Re: Intel DX58SO 5112 bios update
                              Domain

Finally had some time off to sit down and play with 5112 throughly.  Like 5020 (and 4598 before that), BCLK default is 135, for whatever reason.  Multiplier is some fluke on first boot, as the other poster said, first time you reboot it reverts to 22.  Entering Memory configuration locks board to 135... but only for that session.  So, load defaults, set everything up, change memory settings (in my case XMP DDR3-1600) save and exit. Next boot, go back in, *do not* enter memory screen, change BCLK to 133, save and exit again.  On third boot go back in and validate that all settings are at their correct values.

Either way the slight overclock isn't going to do anything... but all I really want out of this system is stability/reliability (and I liked having no legacy components).  I've stuck with Intel boards for this reason for years (going back to VS440FX), but with the poor BIOS code on these boards, I'll probably be looking for another manufacturer for the next systems I build.  Somewhat sad, since Intel used to be lauded for the quality of the code they used to produce... even if their hardware wasn't quite on par feature/performance wise with the competition.