6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2018 8:13 PM by Intel Corporation

XL710 - Traffic Steering. Can I please request clarification on hardware capability

Can I please ask clarifications on XL710 on VLAN steering. I have few questions regarding it on top of what was asked before. Really appreciate for your valuable input please

1. "VEB/VEPA Switching Algorithm" states that filtering happens by MAC+VLAN. It is impossible to perform filtering by VLAN only, as I understand it is HW limitation.

XL710 has something called " S-comp Forwarding Algorithm" which looks like exactly what we want. It does forwarding of packets to specific VSI based on S-tag. S-tag is a part of " Add VSI (0x0210)" command. I guess we can configure several VSIs for expected S-tags. Can you help us understand how to use this algorithm please?

As I understood "port virtualizer" ( "Cascaded VEB and port virtualizers") supposed to be configured to use this switching algorithm. In i40e driver (kernel or DPDK) I do not see anything related to configuration of "port virtualizers", except "i40e_aq_add_pvirt" function which is not used anywhere.

Is it possible to configure "port virtualizer" with existing latest i40e driver?

Another question is about "i40e_aq_set_vsi_uc_promisc_on_vlan" function in i40e driver ( "Set VSI Promiscuous Modes"). It enables promiscuous mode for unicast packets with specific VLAN, so all packets with that VLAN will be replicated to configured VSI. In XL710 datasheet I`ve found that it works only in "Cloud VEB algorithm" ( Can we somehow enable this algorithm with existing i40e drivers?

Thannk you so much