3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2018 8:53 AM by Intel Corporation

Intel Chipset inf update fails with unable to copy files msg

renata43

Good Evening.

Have an ASUS G76 ROG laptop that won't wake up/power up after being disconnected from external power.  It is totally off, and pressing the power button does nothing.

This started as a similar problem, but upon reconnecting it to power, it went into a repair mode (don't recall details).  It no longer does that, but restarts cleanly.

This laptop spends most of its time plugged in, and only occasionally forays into the outside world, away from its power lifeline.

Contacted ASUS in November when this first happened, and again today.

They had me "uninstall" something (there was a multi-step process that I don't recall at all) and attempt to "replace" it with the following: Chipset_Intel_Win81_64_VER9401027.zip.

Finally, the chipset question:

I extract the files, and run the setup.exe as Admin in the Command Prompt.  It opens a couple of dialog boxes, but then fails with the message that it was unable to copy files.

Online searches and ASUS tech support has led nowhere for my specific problem..

Anyone know how to resolve this unable to copy files thing, in this particular case?

Thanx
      Renata

• 1. Re: Intel Chipset inf update fails with unable to copy files msg
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello renata43,

Thank you for contacting us regarding the issues that you have been experiencing with your ASUS G76 ROG laptop, it will be more than a pleasure to help you out with this.
          In order to help you better I would like to gather more information about the configuration you have in the computer.  Please attach to this thread the .txt file the Intel System Support Utility will generate through
           https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility
          To attach a file, you must click •Use Advanced Editor” on the upper right hand corner of the response box, then the “attach” option will appear on the bottom right hand corner of the response box.
          As well I noticed that based on your brief description, they asked you to download the file Chipset_Intel_Win81_64_VER9401027.zip. for reasons unknown at the moment.
          In this case I need to ask you, where did you download the file?
          That specific file belongs to our Intel® Chipset Device Software (INF Update Utility) and it does not seem to be the latest one.
          On this link you will find the latest .Zip file , so please feel free to download it if you have Windows 10, 8, or 7 and let us know the results:
          https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/20775/Intel-Chipset-Device-Software-INF-Update-Utility-
          (You may need to copy and paste the links provided into a separate tab in case that you have issues when clicking on them)

I hope to hear from you soon.

Kind Regards,
          Diego S.

• 2. Re: Intel Chipset inf update fails with unable to copy files msg
            renata43

Thank you Diego.

I ran the SSU and the output is attached.

The Chipset_Intel_Win81_64_VER9401027.zip download file was sent to me as a link by their tech during my chat session w/ASUS. 

In summary:

• In November, I had a problem with ASUS laptop wake up when disconnected from external power.  (always would reboot in self repair mode)
            • ASUS' (during a chat session) offered solution was:
              •      perform a procedure that IIRC, removed the chipset inf files.  (I don't recall the steps taken)
              •      install their supplied, older Intel chipset inf files.
                •           which failed with file copy error.
                •           attempts to resolve the error failed and I (temporarily) dropped the issue
            • 'Today' the problem is that the laptop will not even power on after going to sleep when the external power is disconnected.
              • attempted to install older chipset files (same error)

I've also run the Intel inf update utility you noted, and it now reports everything as good (all elements are green).

However, I started this reply before I thought to check on the reported problem, so I will do that shortly and get back to you.

Thanx (again)

Renata

• 3. Re: Intel Chipset inf update fails with unable to copy files msg
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello renata43,
              I was checking your thread and I wanted to know if you need further assistance regarding your issue?
              Please do not hesitate on contacting me back through this thread so we can look for the best way to help you.
              Best regards
              Diego S