1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2018 4:28 AM by Smokehead

Allen & Heath QU-16 Audio-Distortion - xHCI - Isochronous Transfer Mode

Smokehead

Hi,

i have a lot of audio-distortion with the Allen & Heath QU-16 via USB Recording. I'm experiencing very extreme distortions while recording and playback.

The system(s) i use:

Both: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Thinkpad 13 (2nd Gen 2017):

• Intel i7-7500u
      • 8 GB RAM
      • 512 GB NVMe SSD

MSI GS70 2PC Stealth (2014):

• Intel i7-4720 HQ
      • 8 GB RAM
      • 1TB HDD
      • 128 GB SSD

All the drivers are up to date and the device firmware is up to date also.

After some research i found out, that the source of the problems is that the device uses the Isochronous Transfer Mode. This mode seems to be not supported by Intel chipsets (xHCI, USB 3) anymore even when USB 3 is said to be fully backward compatible. If that is the case, it is not. Are there any drivers available to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance for your answers and help.

Best regards,

Jan

• 1. Re: Allen & Heath QU-16 Audio-Distortion - xHCI - Isochronous Transfer Mode
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Smokehead,

Thank you for contacting us regarding the audio issues that you have been experiencing, please accept our apologies for the inconvenience this may be causing.
          I understand that you are using 2 systems as specified before; both of them are having the same issue with your Allen & Heath QU-16.
          Since at the moment we do not have any specific driver related to the Isochronous Transfer Mode I am sending your case to another group of support that will help us by performing deeper research about it.
          This process may delay my answer between 24 to 48 hrs, so as soon as I have a reply I will gladly get in touch with you.
          On the meantime I would like to gather more information about the configuration you have in the computer (Both).  Please attach to this thread the .txt file the Intel System Support Utility will generate though
          https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility
          To attach a file, you must click •Use Advanced Editor” on the upper right hand corner of the response box, then the “attach” option will appear on the bottom right hand corner of the response box.
          (You may need to copy and paste the links provided into a separate tab in case that you have issues when clicking on them)

I hope to hear from you soon.
          Best Regards,
          Diego S.

• 2. Re: Allen & Heath QU-16 Audio-Distortion - xHCI - Isochronous Transfer Mode
            Smokehead

Hello Diego S.,

i've attached the .txt file from my MSI GS70 machine because i currently have no access to the thinkpad notebook. I'll upload the thinkpad-document as early as i can.

Thank you for your quick answer!

Best regards,

Jan

• 3. Re: Allen & Heath QU-16 Audio-Distortion - xHCI - Isochronous Transfer Mode
              Smokehead

Hi,

did you get some news yet?

I'll send you the informations about the second system next wednesday. Then i'm back home.

Best Regards,

Jan

• 4. Re: Allen & Heath QU-16 Audio-Distortion - xHCI - Isochronous Transfer Mode
                Intel Corporation

Hello Smokehead,
                Thank you for your patience, I really appreciate it.
                We just receive the update from the team that is in charge of your case, along with the results of the research that we performed. To answer your question about the drivers, Intel does not provide XHCI drivers for Windows 10, since is developed by Microsoft we strongly suggest you to get in touch with them for support (Driver-wise)
                Here you will find the direct link:
                https://support.microsoft.com/en-us

As a workaround, you can either disable the USB 3.0 ports or try install Windows 7 with the Sky Lake Platform (as a troubleshooting step in order to isolate the issue) so you can verify if it is a hardware or software problem.
                Hope this helps,
                Best regards,
                Diego S.

• 5. Re: Allen & Heath QU-16 Audio-Distortion - xHCI - Isochronous Transfer Mode
                  Smokehead

After some research i found an explanation from Intel regarding an the 7-Series/C216 Chipset Family.

On page 15 of this document it says that this issue is known and it could only be reproduced in synthetic testenvironments and there are no plans to fix this issue. I've appended the document to this post.

Now it isn't a problem which only occures in synthetic environments but in real environments. I'm not the only one facing this problem. Are there some plans to fix the issue?

• 6. Re: Allen & Heath QU-16 Audio-Distortion - xHCI - Isochronous Transfer Mode
                    Smokehead

Hello Diego,

finally i'm back at home and have access to the other computer.

I've appended the second system information file here.

I hope it helps!

Best regards,

Jan

• 7. Re: Allen & Heath QU-16 Audio-Distortion - xHCI - Isochronous Transfer Mode
                      Intel Corporation

Hello Smokehead,

Thank you for your response, the information attached to the account was extremely helpful, we really appreciate it.
                      In this case as shared before the best recommendation will be to get in touch with both Microsoft and Allen & Heath for support in terms of drivers since Intel does not provide XHCI drivers for Windows 10.
                      Another option will be to disable the USB 3.0 ports so you can use the 2.0 ports or to try to install Windows 7 in order to isolate the issue so you can verify if it is a hardware or software problem.
                      As a last option we can send this case to higher management to face further review; however I can’t promise an ETA or a solution, since the case will be handled by another department, as soon as I have an answer I will reach you out through this same thread.

Please let me know if I can proceed,

Best Regards,
                       Diego S

• 8. Re: Allen & Heath QU-16 Audio-Distortion - xHCI - Isochronous Transfer Mode
                        Smokehead

I've tried to disable the xHCI via BIOS on the MSI GS70 and it seems to work.

The Thinkpad doesn't have this option. The problem is that the error occures on two different, non-related devices when using USB3. So my feeling is that more computers based on these or similar Intel Chipsets will have the same error. I've read online that this error even occured on sime Macs so it doesn't seem to be Windows.

For future use it should be resolved in general so people can use Intel devices. I would really appreciate it when this issue would be forwarded to some higher instance and your tech departement.

Many thanks,

Jan

• 9. Re: Allen & Heath QU-16 Audio-Distortion - xHCI - Isochronous Transfer Mode
                          Made2Create

Hi everyone,

I am also experiencing the same issue with my Qu-32. Allen & Heath is seemingly unable to help as it does seem to be a problem with my Intel based system. To troubleshoot I have tried using the audio interface with my Mac without any issues. It is important to me that this gets resolved, as otherwise it will render the $1000 machine I just purchased for this purpose useless! I am not able to disable my USB 3.0 ports as I need them for other equipment such as external HD's and various controllers. If there is a way to revert the 3.0 ports to 2.0 ports somehow, this may be an temporary solution, but I have not found any further info regarding this.

This is an issue that is effecting many users in the pro audio community not only with A&H products. I love the Intel support team and I am hoping we can find a solution quickly!

I have attached my system report below as well in hopes that it will help.

Thank you!
                          Collin

• 10. Re: Allen & Heath QU-16 Audio-Distortion - xHCI - Isochronous Transfer Mode
                            Intel Corporation

Hello MikeTango,

Thank you for contacting us, I understand that you are experiencing the same issue with your Allen & Heath device.
                            I really appreciate the information provided through the SSU report. In this case as shared before Intel does not provide XHCI drivers for Windows 10, meaning that our best recommendations will be:
                            - To get in touch with both Microsoft and Allen & Heath for support in terms of drivers.
                            - you can either disable the USB 3.0 ports or try install Windows 7 with the Sky Lake Platform
                            I totally understand that disabling the USB ports may affect some other duties and tasks that you need to accomplish, so based on Smokehead’s experience another option will be to contact your OEM computer manufacturer in order to disable the xHCI via BIOS of your machine.

I hope this helps

Best regards,
                            Diego S.

• 11. Re: Allen & Heath QU-16 Audio-Distortion - xHCI - Isochronous Transfer Mode
                              Smokehead

Hi,

i just wanted to know if you have some news or solutions for me/us.

I've tested the A&H QU-16 on two different Windows-Systems and Linux-Systems. All systems will have the same errors. It's not a OS-driver based problem. It's a problem regarding the Intel-Chipsets.

On an AMD-Based System everything works fine (all combinations).

Could you please give us a working solution for these chipsets including this issue?

Best regards,

Jan

• 12. Re: Allen & Heath QU-16 Audio-Distortion - xHCI - Isochronous Transfer Mode
                                Intel Corporation

Hello Smokehead,
                                Thank you for contacting us; it will be more than a pleasure to assist you again.
                                In order for me to assist you better, and to forward your information to the proper department, please let us know if:
                                You were able to contact both Allen & Heath and Microsoft regarding the issue.
                                You were able to disable the USB 3.0 ports so you can use the 2.0 ports or to try to install Windows 7 with the Sky Lake Platform in order to isolate the issue so you can verify if it is a hardware or software problem.
                                I hope to hear from you soon.
                                 Best Regards,
                                Diego S.

• 13. Re: Allen & Heath QU-16 Audio-Distortion - xHCI - Isochronous Transfer Mode
                                  Smokehead

Hello Diego,

thank you for your answer.

I was able to contact as well Allen & Heath and Microsoft. Allen & Heath told me that this is a known issue and they have open a ticket at Intel and they are waiting for a solution.

I was able to disable the xHCI on the MSI Notebook and it works. As well on Windows as on Linux. I even tried Linux on the Thinkpad but got the same error.

I don't have a possibility to install Windows 7 anymore because i don't have the key anymore.

My conclusion is that it's a hardware problem of the chipset and/or the architecture because it works on both operating systems when disabled the functionality in BIOS.

I can't imagine that as well Apple, Windows and the linux community aren't able to develop a suitable driver which solves this problem.

Thank you for your answer.

Best Regards,

Jan

• 14. Re: Allen & Heath QU-16 Audio-Distortion - xHCI - Isochronous Transfer Mode
                                    Intel Corporation

Hello Smokehead,
                                    I really appreciate your answer and your patience.
                                    I am forwarding your case to higher management again so it can be reviewed.
                                    I'll do my best to reach you out as soon as we have an answer.
                                    Regards,
                                    Diego S.

1 2 Previous Next