Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

MFSYS25V2 All power supplies show as Unknown Device

JThom28
Beginner

Hello

Our MFSYS25V2 is reporting that all four of the power supplies are "Unknown Devices" and the chassis is refusing to power up any of the servers with the error message "There is insufficient power available to power all the servers in the chassis. If all power supplies are powered and functioning properly, add additional power supplies.". Here are the steps that we have taken so far:

1. Powered all servers off, disconnected power from all four power supplies, waited 30 seconds, reconnected power and rebooted chassis
  2. Removed power, unseated and re-seated all four of the power supplies in sequence
  3. Reset and rebooted the CMM
  4. Unseated and re-seated the following, each in sequence:
    1. Front fan module
    2. All servers
    3. Both storage control modules
    4. Both SWM
  5. Replaced one of the power supplies with a known good spare

Three of the servers were powered on and accessible when I discovered this issue, so the power supplies are clearly functioning correctly, at least to a certain extent. It would be nice to get this chassis working again but if that is not possible, I'd really like to be able to at least temporarily force the servers to power on so that I can export the virtual machines that are running on them.

Does anyone have any ideas?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Jared,

Please help us providing some additional information:

Does the system was working before?

Have you tried testing power supplies of a higher wattage?

Can you please provide us the wattage of your current power supplies?

Best regards,

Sergio S.
0 Kudos
JThom28
Beginner

Hi Sergio

Answers to your questions, in order:

1. The system was working fine before this happened. Three of the six blades were running when this happened and they were functional after the problem started, but once I powered them off, they refuse to power back on.
  2. The only power supplies that we have available are all the same make and model: Delta DPS-1000DB-A.
  3. The power supplies are all listed as 1050W max

Thanks,

Jared

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Jared,

As an additional recommendation, try to use different power supplies, preferably with a higher wattage and also you can test your system with the minimal configuration and check if the problem continues.

Best regards,

Sergio S.
0 Kudos
JThom28
Beginner

HI Sergio

We have already tried replacing power supplies without success which strongly indicates to me that the issue is not with the power supplies themselves. I don't have permission from my supervisor to purchase additional parts for this system unless we have a very clear diagnostic result indicating that a particular part has failed and given that all of these power supplies were working fine up until last week and were providing sufficient power for the servers, I definitely have not met that criterion.

I have attached a screenshot from the management UI; it is listing all four of the power supplies as "unknown device". What mechanism or component evaluates these power supplies? It seems pretty clear that is where the problem lies.

When you say "minimal configuration", what do you mean?

Thanks for your help with this,

Jared

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Jared,

This issue can be related with the midplane of the unit that might be defective. You can find more information https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/motherboards/server/mfsys25/sb/mfs5520vi_tps_r1_5.pdf here, page 3.

At this point, we have exhausted all possible items and this is part of the process of elimination.

Finally, please keep in mind this your product is on end of interactive support status.

Best regards,

Sergio S.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Jared,

We are following up your question and we would like to know if you need further assistance. Please feel free to contact us back anytime.

Best regards,

Sergio S.
0 Kudos
JThom28
Beginner

Hi Sergio

I appreciate your time and assistance with this issue but I haven't come away from this any closer to a solution than when we started. There is no way to force the servers to power on despite the power supplies being "unknown"? They work fine and have been providing more than enough power for these servers up until now. I understand that the device is relatively outdated and out of support which is why I am posting here rather than escalating a case.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi rbt_jared,

I do understand your position and I was hoping we could provide enough feedback to assist you better.

I will contact you directly to see if you could gather the logs of the unit to further investigate this. Based on the information we have so far it seems that the issue is with the midplane.

I noticed you mentioned you have rebooted the unit and re seated some of the components. Could you try to power cycle the chassis and then just have 1 PSU inserted, then reconnect the management module and see how PSU1 is detected. If it is, then add one power supply at the time.

Best regards,

David A.
0 Kudos
JThom28
Beginner

Hi David

Thank you very much for your help with this issue, your suggestion resolved the issues! Here are the steps that I took:

1. removed all four PSUs from power
  2. unseated the MM
  3. reinstalled one of the PSUs and let the chassis power back up
  4. after 10 minutes or so, re-seated the MM
  5. got in to the management interface and confirmed that the PSU was showing as green
  6. re-inserted the other three PSUs and reconnected to power

Best Regards,

Jared

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Jared,

Thanks for the update. Great to ready everything is working fine! Thank you for the opportunity of assisting you.

Feel free to reach out to our team if you need anything else.

David A.
0 Kudos