8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2018 1:00 PM by Hammernet

NUC6CAY and 9260 Wifi isn‘t recognized

Hammernet

Hey Intel,

I recently bought 2 new Intel 9260 Wifi-cards which are intented to be used in my 2 NUC6CAYH and therefore gain more throughput wifiwise.

The problem I ran into is the fact, that the new wifi-cards aren‘t even detected within the UEFI. The tab „pci devices„ only lists them with the vendor and device id ffff:ffff. Is there any white or blacklist integrated? Using a spare 7265 wificard works just fine.

The installed BIOS is the latest and the 9260 cards are new genuine retail.

I‘m thanking you for looking into the problem.

Regards,

Manuel

• 1. Re: NUC6CAY and 9260 Wifi isn‘t recognized
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello obrejanp,

Thank you for contacting us.
          I was reading your thread and I understand that you are having issues with the installation of an Intel 9260 Wifi-card.  Please accept my apologies for the issue that this may be causing.
          While performing some research about your issue I noticed that you may be facing compatibility issues.
          By checking the specifications of the unit that you own (NUC6CAYH) we noticed that the unit that the Wi-Fi card that you own is not on the list of tested peripherals specified here:
          http://compatibleproducts.intel.com/ProductDetails/ExportPeripheralInfo?moduleName=Intel%C2%AE%20NUC&productType=Kits&productName=Intel%C2%AE%20NUC%20Kit%20NUC6CAYH
          We strongly recommend you to use the devices tested here on the list, however I will be more than glad to assist you and to try find a solution for your issue.
          Before we go any further, I need to ask you a couple of questions:
          Are you planning to replace the old one with the new card?
          Or, are you trying to use both at the same time?
          Have you tried to disable the main card first from the BIOS?

I hope to hear from you soon.
          Best Regards,
          Diego S.

• 2. Re: NUC6CAY and 9260 Wifi isn‘t recognized
            Hammernet

Thanks for your fast reply. I`m sure you`ve already checked, that in fact the mentioned NUC doen`t have a soldered down wifi-adapter. So yes, I`ve intended to swap out the included wifi-adapter for droping in the new 9260 cards. So disabling the new card within the BIOS should be contraproductive in this case.

So I hope you can help out with the problem thru escalating it to the BIOS-Team in the hope that they will take care of it.

As I mentioned before, a spare 7265 from my Thinkpad X250 is working fine (not to mention that it is on the list of compatibility). When I get my hand on a 8265 (which is not on the compatibilitylist), I will also test it and see if it runs (which I hope) and report back ASAP.

Lets assume the facts: The bundled Intel 316X card is a m.2 2230 PCI-e x1 with USB for BT. My testes Intel 7265 card is a m.2 2230 PCI-e x1 with USB for BT and it works just fine. The new Intel 9260 card is a m.2 2230 PCI-e x1 with usb for BT and it is not working where I see no point why it shouldn`t.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Manuel

• 3. Re: NUC6CAY and 9260 Wifi isn‘t recognized
              N.Scott.Pearson

What I can tell you is that there are no blacklists or whitelists implemented in the BIOS. A problem I see is that the BIOS wants to initialize the Bluetooth interface, so that it can support BT Keyboards for BIOS Setup. Since the solution you are installing is not a "known" solution (i believe that the BIOS only has support for the 3, 7 and 8 series cards), the card may end up in a strange state as a result and routing, etc. may not be complete.

This is definitely one that is going to have to go back to both the Marketing folks, who will have to make a decision regarding 9 series card support, and to the BIOS folks, who will need to implement support.

...S

• 4. Re: NUC6CAY and 9260 Wifi isn‘t recognized
                Hammernet

Thanks for the reply. As I mentioned before, I will test an 8265 as soon as I get my hands on it. An interessting fact is, that you mentioned Series-8-support which isn`t mentioned in the qlv-list.

I hope that the folks will give a positive Feedback. It would be a little shame when a currently selling NUC won`t support a currently selling Wifi-card.  I would love to see 160Mhz-5G wifi for 4K-Streaming.

Greetings,

Manuel

• 5. Re: NUC6CAY and 9260 Wifi isn‘t recognized
                  Intel Corporation
                  This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Hammernet,

Thank you so much for your reply.
                  In this case, since I strongly recommend you to reach our wireless team from Intel Communities.
                  You can find all the support related to your issue through the following link:
                  https://communities.intel.com/community/tech/wireless
                  (You may need to copy and paste the links provided into a separate tab in case that you have issues when clicking on them)
                  Feel free to submit a ticket using the same information provided in this thread so the team in charge can take care of it.

Hope this helps,
                  Best Regards,
                  Diego S.

• 6. Re: NUC6CAY and 9260 Wifi isn‘t recognized
                    Hammernet

Hey,

i`ve got my hands on the mentioned 8265 yesterday and got a strange behavior. The NIC is fully recognized and working like a charm when powering up the device. If I do a reboot, the NIC disappears. The only way of bringing the NIC back to life is by doing a full shutdown with power-off. Maybe this could also lead to a solution.

I will post the thread to the Wifi-Team. Maybe they have a clue?!

Regards,

Manuel

€dit: Just to post the link: No detection of a 9260 in a NUC6CAYH

• 7. Re: NUC6CAY and 9260 Wifi isn‘t recognized
                      N.Scott.Pearson

Manuel,

I suggest that you try disabling the Windows 10 Fast Startup feature. I have seen similar issues alleviated by disabling this feature.

Hope this helps,

...S

• 8. Re: NUC6CAY and 9260 Wifi isn‘t recognized
                        Hammernet

Hey,

thanks for your advise but I didn`t eanabled Fast Startup at all because I`m using Linux (Libreelec). I`ve found out, that after the reboot, the initaly working 8265 is also beeing recognized as ffff:ffff within the bios like the 9260. After a complete shutdown, it is recognized right and working.

Thanks in advance,

Manuel