Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

intel wireless ac 8265 slow upload/download

AMacP1
Beginner

Evening,

So I recently purchased an Asus ZenBook UX430UA-DH74 and the wifi is terrible. When I first boot the machine or enable the wifi I get my usual speeds (300Mbps down 100Mbps up screenshot attached) and within several minutes of usage (or if the computer goes to sleep or the lid is closed and re-opepend) upload and download drop, sometimes to low double digits (say 15/10 screenshot attached). Proximity to the router doesn't matter, I have no QoS on my Google Wifi router enabled. I can kick every device off the router so it's just this laptop and same thing. I've tried several drivers, I heard rolling back to 19.50 could work, no change. Tried 19.70, 20.something, and now 20.10.2.2 and also no change. I've attached the SSU log in hopes of getting some advice? It's quite frustrating as this wasn't a cheap machine... Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello anthonymacp,

We understand you're experiencing a very unstable connection on your new ASUS* laptop using the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265.

Based on your description and the files attached, there is definitely something unusual occurring. In the SSU report attached, we can see that despite having the correct settings for 802.11ac, your system is connecting to 802.11n at only 144.4 Mbps.

For this adapter, we should see the following connection rates:

Using 802.11ac, on the 2.4 GHz band (20 MHz Channel Width): 433 Mbps

Using 802.11ac, on the 5 GHz band (40/80 MHz Channel Width): 867 Mbps

It's important to mention that your connection rate is always greater than the numbers shown in a download speed test, as your connection rate is the raw number at which your PC and your router are communicating. Download speeds don't account for network overhead such as routing, encryption, environmental factors (RF interference), etc. https://blogs.intel.com/technology/2014/06/throughput-stupid/ More info.

In this case, the simplest way to narrow down the troubleshooting will be to connect to a different network, and see if the issue follows your computer. If you connect to a different router and there is no issue, odd as it may seem, there is something going on between your PC and your router.

If you connect to a different router/network, and the issue occurs just the same, it could indicate a hardware issue (since you've already tested a variety of driver versions). Your adapter could be defective, loose adapter or antennas, short circuiting somehow, etc. In this case you may need to engage your computer manufacturer for warranty support.

Does your router have the option to broadcast the 2.4 and 5 GHz frequencies using different SSIDs? If so, you can also try to see if the issue occurs while connecting to the 5 GHz band.

Let us know if any of this helps.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello anthonymacp,

We have not heard back from you in a while, has your issue been resolved?

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
AMacP1
Beginner

Evening! As it turns out it was in fact hardware related. Asus processed an RMA, replaced the chip and all is great now!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello anthonymacp,

Glad to hear that your issue is all resolved now (even if it wasn't us that fixed it).

If there's anything else we can help you with, please don't hesitate to let us know.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos