1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 1, 2018 3:23 PM by N.Scott.Pearson

Dual Display support

bkmullen

How does a NUC support the 2 physical outputs for dual displays?

Are there specific models that have dual HDMI outputs or is this always supported thru 1 x HDMI and 1 x Thunderbolt?

Also - I see some NUCs support 3 displays - how is this achieved?

I want to use NUC in a conference room to support multiple display outputs.

Is there a specific NUC I should be looking at?

Thx

• 1. Re: Dual Display support
          N.Scott.Pearson

Most Intel processors are capable of handling up to three DisplayPort (DP) output streams. A DP-to-HDMI IC converts one of the DP streams to/from HDMI and this feeds the HDMI connector. In the latest NUCs, this IC is capable of supporting a 4K@60Hz monitor. A DP channel is exposed through the USB-C interface, either separately or as part of a Thunderbolt channel. Now, because only a single DP channel is exposed via Thunderbolt, only a single Thunderbolt monitor can be connected and support for 4K@60Hz is present. If you connect a MST Hub to the USB-C connector, however, it is possible to connect two DP or HDMI monitors and these monitors will share the DP channel's throughput. This means that the two monitors can be connected at up to 4K@30Hz (though 1080p@60Hz and 2K@60Hz is also possible).

Bottom line,

• If the desire is to support 4K@60Hz monitors, you may connect up to two of these monitors. One monitor requires a straight-thru HDMI cable. The other monitor requires a USB-C-to-HDMI or USB-C-to-DP cable (or adapter and straight-thru HDMI cable).

• If the desire is to support three monitors, you can do so with one operating at 4K@60Hz and two operating at 4K@30Hz. This requires a MST Hub that splits the DP output into two DP or HDMI outputs.

Cables must be DP 1.4 or HDMI 2.0a compliant.

Clear as mud?

...S