11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2018 12:58 PM by Guilouz

NUC7i7BNH - Many issue with HDMI

Guilouz

Hi,

I just bought a NUC7i7BNH (I have also a NUC5i5RYH and everything worked well ...) and I admit to be extremely disappointed with my purchase ...

To begin, I have updated BIOS to latest 0060 and HDMI 2.0 firmware to 1.72.

I have display issue, I have periodic black screen / flickering with HDMI port with 3840/4096 × 2160 @ 60Hz resolution, no issue with 1920x1080. On Windows, LibreELEC and this issue appears also in BIOS screen.

My TV is Samsung UE55HU8500 joined with a HDMI Monster Cable to my NUC.

I have also another issue, when I plug my NUC to my AVR impossible to have audio passthrough with DTS-HD, Dolby True HD and Dolby Digital Plus, ok with DTS and Dolby Digital, my AVR Denon AVR-2809 does not receive any audio channel.

I use Kodi 18 with LibreELEC builds with patch for Apollo Lake / Kaby Lake processors.

I specify that I have none of these problems with my NUC5i5RYH.

How I can solve this ?

• 1. Re: NUC7i7BNH - Many issue with HDMI
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Guilouz,

I noticed your thread and I understand that you are having HDMI issues with your NUC7i7BNH. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may be causing.
          In order to help you better I would like to gather more information about the configuration you have in both NUCs.  Please attach to this thread the .txt file the Intel System Support Utility will generate https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility
          To attach a file, you must click •Use Advanced Editor” on the upper right hand corner of the response box, then the “attach” option will appear on the bottom right hand corner of the response box.
          Once that we have the two reports we will proceed to try to replicate your issue.
          Have you tested different cables on your set up?

Regarding the audio issue have you tried to test the audio without connecting the unit to the AVR?

I hope to hear from you soon.

Best regards.
          Diego S.

• 2. Re: NUC7i7BNH - Many issue with HDMI
            Guilouz

It's impossible for me to use Intel System Support Utility because I'm not on Windows. I have just install a windows build to install latest BIOS and latest HDMI 2.0 firmware then I have installed LibreELEC with Kodi.

Yes I have tested many HDMI cables, they are Monster Cable Black Platinium.

For video issue I have try with or without AVR

For Audio issue, that's happens only in passthrough, same hardware (TV, AVR, cables) working with my NUC5i5RYH.

Passthrough mode is working only with AV receiver, so impossible to try without connecting to AVR... but I have sound when I disable passthrough but not in DTS-HD, True HD or Dolby Digital, just in PCM multi channels.

My Setup :

- TV Samsung UE55HU8500 (HDMI 2.0) : http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/UE55HU8500TXXU

- AVR Denon AVR-2809 : "Official" Denon AVR 2809CI/989 Thread - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

- I have also AVR Onkyo TX-RZ820 : Receivers | A/V Receiver | Stereo Receiver | AVR | TX-RZ810 | Onkyo USA

- HDMI cables Monster Cable UltraHD Black Platinium : https://www.monsterproducts.com/Black-Platinum-UltraHD-HDMI-Cable-Ethernet-Performance-Indicators

• 3. Re: NUC7i7BNH - Many issue with HDMI
              Guilouz

I have fixed video issue with new HDMI Cable, so it's ok now.

But I have always audio passthrough issue :

With my Denon AVR : DTS-HD MA, DTS-HD High Res, Dolby True HD and Dolby Digital Plus are not working in passthrough. No sound.

With my Onkyo AVR :

- Some DTS-HD MA are working, some have only DTS core but no sound

- DTS-HD High Res not working, only DTS core but no sound

- Dolby True HD working

- Dolby Digital Plus working

All tested files are working fine with my other NUC NUC5i5RYH.

Really not terrible this NUC7i7BNH...

• 4. Re: NUC7i7BNH - Many issue with HDMI
                Intel Corporation

Hello Guilouz,

Thank you for your reply.

During these past days we were able to perform a deeper research about you issue.
                We actually found information that might be pretty helpful.
                Your NUC7i7BNH is still suffering audio issues while the NUC5i5RYH is not (based on your description)
                Between the lists of operating systems that are compatible with our NUCs we found a huge difference regarding the models that you own: the supported operating systems.
                Basically the NUC5i5RYH is fully compatible with the following OS list:
                Windows 10 (32-bit and 64-bit)
                Windows 8.1 (32-bit and 64-bit)
                Windows 7 (32-bit and 64-bit)

And as well it has been customer reported with the following OS list:

ArchLinux
                Debian
                Fedora
                Linux Mint
                OpenBSD
                Ubuntu
                Xubuntu
                As you can see, the unit does work smoothly with Linux Based Operating systems.
                On the other hand we performed a research about the other model (NUC7i7BNH) and due to its components such as its CPU, will be only compatible with Windows® 10, 64-bit.

This is basically leading us to the fact that you may have hardware and software issues with your current unit (such as drivers) and is causing your unit to fail when playing the audio files.
                In this case I strongly recommend you to get in touch with Linux (LibreELEC) Communities in order to get assistance regarding the issue.

Hope this helps

Best regards,
                Diego S.

• 5. Re: NUC7i7BNH - Many issue with HDMI
                  Guilouz

How do you explain then that DTS-HD MA or Dolby True HD files are working ?

There is only issue with DTS-HD HRA files.

Try this file, you will see issue : DTS-HRA5.1_VC1-23.976.mkv - Google Drive

I made contact with LibreELEC developers and they said me they have already apply v2 HBR and ELD patches from Intel.

• 6. Re: NUC7i7BNH - Many issue with HDMI
                    Intel Corporation

Hello Guilouz,
                    Thank you for your response.

In this case in order to answer your question (How do you explain then that DTS-HD MA or Dolby True HD files are working? ) the reason why you may have issues only with very specific files while other audio files are working properly is basically ,as we shared before, the fact that your unit has limitations (regarding OS ) that do not guarantee that all the features regarding an operating system that is not supported will work.
                    Here you will find the supported operating systems for all Intel NUC kits:
                    https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005628/mini-pcs.html
                    (You may need to copy and paste the links provided into a separate tab in case that you have issues when clicking on them)
                    I strongly recommend you to reach LibreELEC and submit a ticket if necessary in order to get your issue fixed.
                    I do apologize for all the inconvenience that this may cause.

Hope this helps.
                    Best Regards,
                    Diego S.

• 7. Re: NUC7i7BNH - Many issue with HDMI
                      Guilouz

So... I have installed Windows 10 - 64 bits, updated all drivers and I have same issue with DTS-HRA audio in passthrough. Only DTS core is received by my AVR and sound is very low and degraded.

I have tested many files without sucess...

So that's confirm it's not an issue with LibreELEC... and there is a real issue with NUC7i7BNH...

I have attached .txt file from Intel System Support Utility.

• 8. Re: NUC7i7BNH - Many issue with HDMI
                        Guilouz

I forgot to add that I tested with Kodi, VLC and MPC-HC.

• 9. Re: NUC7i7BNH - Many issue with HDMI
                          Intel Corporation

Hello Guilouz,

Thank you so much for your reply.
                          I really appreciate all the information attached to your account.
                          Since you Installed Windows 10 and provided us with the SSU report about your current issue, we are sending your case to higher management in order to receive support from them.
                          This may cause a brief delay between our answers (24-48 hours) so as soon as we have a reply / solution I will reach you back though this thread.
                          Thank you for your patience.
                          Best Regards,
                          Diego S.

• 10. Re: NUC7i7BNH - Many issue with HDMI
                            rguevara

Hello Guilouz,

As mentioned before we have not validated or tested Linux* operating systems on this platform. We don’t provide drivers either but we do collaborate with Operating Systems developers to make drivers available for reference, I would recommend that you visit the following web site: https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloads/2017q4-intel-graphics-stack-recipe

This web site provides the latest 2017Q4 INTEL GRAPHICS STACK RECIPE created in collaboration with Intel but we do not provide support for it.

I hope this helps with the issue that you have, I believe it may be related to drivers.

On the other hand, It is not clear to whether the flickering is happening at the BIOS level, during Windows or only when running Linux, can you please confirm?

Regards,

Ronny G

• 11. Re: NUC7i7BNH - Many issue with HDMI
                              Guilouz

Flickering issue is fixed with another HDMI cable.

The only issue I have is for DTS-HD HRA in passthrough...

DTS -> OK

DTS-HD MA -> OK

DTS-HD HRA -> NOT WORKING, only DTS core is received by AVR (tested with two AVR : Denon and Onkyo) and sound is low and degraded

Dolby Digital -> OK

Dolby Digital Plus -> OK

Dolby True HD -> OK

Issue on Linux operating system (like LibreELEC) but also on Windows 10 - 64 bits, tested on HDMI port and also on USB-C.