3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2018 4:29 AM by BingoMad

Is there a preferred order when installing drivers ?

BingoMad

I'm thinking of re-installing Windows 10 onto my NUC but wanted to know if there's a preferred order when installing the Intel drivers ?
      Does it matter which order you install them ?
      Is it best to reboot between each install or only if the installer asks you to ?

Is it best to use the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant or download each one directly ?

• 1. Re: Is there a preferred order when installing drivers ?
          lw1948

1. In my opinion, the driver shall be downloaded from Intel's site and then installed manually. In this forum I saw many cases of false alarms wile installing drivers with the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant.

2. First install the Chipset Driver and Management Engine driver and reboot the computer. Now install all the other drivers (sequence of installation is not important). You may reboot your NUC only once, after the last driver is installed (the installer is asking to reboot after each driver but this is not necessary).

Leon

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Is there a preferred order when installing drivers ?
            N.Scott.Pearson

It is best to install the Chipset Software package first. For WiFi, install Bluetooth package before Wireless package. Other than that, it doesn't matter; I typically do it in alphabetical order.

I reboot only once after installing all packages. During each package install, simply say no if it asks for a reboot.

I have always done it manually. IDSA is getting better and better, but there are some fundamental issues in a number of packages that prevent the process from working cleanly.

Hope this helps,

...S

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Is there a preferred order when installing drivers ?
              BingoMad

Many thanks to you both.
              I wasn't sure if the IDSA was robust enough yet, I'll download them manually.