2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2018 6:30 AM by Intel Corporation

Android

Luca_Samiolo

Hello,

my name is Luca. I would like to know if it is possible install android on a NUC; if yes, on what NUC version?

Thank you very much.

Best regards,

Luca

• 1. Re: Android
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Luca_Samiolo

Thank you for contacting us.
          I noticed that you have questions regarding our Intel NUC Devices and the OS compatibility on them. It will be more than a pleasure to provide you with all the details about it.

Essentially, all Intel processors, like the ones installed in our Intel NUC Kits are OS independent, meaning that you could install any OS on them; however there will be few limitations or roadblocks when you try to install an OS on the unit, such as drivers and the embedded graphics on the CPU.
          A quick example will be an Intel® Core™ i7-7700K which is part of our 7th Generation of processors. Even if the processor is OS independent the graphics embedded on the unit will only support Linux and Windows 10 (64-bit only). Here you will find the compatibility list depending on the graphics of the processor that you own:
          https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005526/graphics-drivers.html
          Now, when it comes about our Intel NUC Kits, even if you install an OS that is not supported by the embedded graphics, you may experience issues when it comes about drivers (graphic, peripherals, etc.)  Here you will find all the information regarding our Intel NUC Kits and the OS compatible with them:
          https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005628/mini-pcs.html
          On the link you will find two types of OS:
          -Intel validated operating systems
          -Customer-reported operating systems
          The Customer-reported operating systems are operating system versions that were reported as compatible by owners of Intel® NUC Boards and Kits. Intel hasn't validated these operating systems. Android as you can see is not on the list of OS that were reported or validated. So in this case you could try to install it but depending on its requirements, we do not guarantee that is going to work.
          We encourage you to share the results if you try it, in case that you have success we will be more than glad to add it to the list of Customer-reported operating systems.

I hope this information comes handy to you.

Please let me know if you have any other question or concern, I am here to serve.

Best Regards,
          Diego S.

• 2. Re: Android
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Luca_Samiolo

I was taking a look to your case and just wanted to verify if you need further assistance?
            Please don’t hesitate on replying this thread back in case that you have any other question or concern.

Best Regards,
            Diego S.