13 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2018 2:51 PM by Intel Corporation

Hp 15n098sa Intel Management engine interface Windows 10 1709 error

Shadow13

I have installed a clean Windows 10 Microsoft download ISO 1709 Windows creators disk dated 9/27/2017 64 bit version from the official Microsoft website.

I have let Windows complete a clean install on a new disk GPT partition after removing all partitions.

I have initially not connected to the internet and all the drivers from HP 15-N098sa page but encountered a few problems, besides the intel engine management sp62419.exe version 9.5.2.1489 unit not working. so I have tried old versions of the chipset and graphics driver in many combintations.

Start agin another new installation:

I then re did a clean install again using above Windows ISO deleting all partitions created by Windows 10 on startup and allowed it to install the drivers required and updates please see below with Lan connected.

Another note Windows defender reports the problem and tries to fix it

It then reports it cannot identify the problem.

I have gone into the device manager, deleted the Intel engine management unit installed by Windows version 1105. I then then rebooted and allowed the same driver to be installed by checking for updates.

I then deleted the driver and software again reset windows update to stop installed the Intel Chipset Installation Utility and Driver sp66956.exe version9.4.0.1026 Rev.B and the Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI) Driver sp62419.exe version 9.5.2.1489 and have the same problem. I have also tried Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI) Driver 9.52.1709 and various versions of 11 besides the Windows 10 initial installed one of 11.00.1146 including 11.8.50.3426

CPU and chipset information:

Intel Core i5-4200U (1.6 GHz, 3 MB cache, 2 cores)

Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4600.

Memory 8GB 2  simms

Motherboard passes HP 6.5.0.0 extensive system test no error.

Can anyone please help.

• 1. Re: Hp 15n098sa Intel Management engine interface Windows 10 1709 error
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Shadow13,

I understand that you are having problems with the Intel® Management Engine, I apologize for any inconvenience.

Regarding this problem I was actually researching about it and was able to find that it seems to be an incompatibility between the Intel® Management Engine and the Windows 10 update 1709 (Fall Creators).

This problem however, may have been addressed by the respective BIOS developers at HP. My recommendation is to contact HP and inquire about a BIOS update and so this way they can also check the error message provided by the Device Manager since this seem to point at the compatibility or hardware problem.

Regards,
          David V

• 2. Re: Hp 15n098sa Intel Management engine interface Windows 10 1709 error
            Shadow13

David many thanks for the reply, this really helps, should I do a lean install of 1703 or 1607 64 bit version? Or what do you suggest?

Thanks

Nick

• 3. Re: Hp 15n098sa Intel Management engine interface Windows 10 1709 error
              Shadow13

David I have tried Windows 10 creators 1703 disc set again with a clean hard drive and a totally new installation of windows 64bit , I have installed the Imei various versions with no joy,  9.5.2.1489 revA and 1790, also tried 11.00.1146 and 11.8.50.3426 all have same probelm the intel management engine interface has error. "status device power failure code 10"

I am looking for my 1607 disk set, which I cannot find  at present but have tried 1511 which has same error.

I have checked the motherboard with the latest HP system diagnostics extensive test and it passes fine

Regards

Nick

• 4. Re: Hp 15n098sa Intel Management engine interface Windows 10 1709 error
                Shadow13

David good morning , I have tried windows 10 64 bit 1703 and 1511 disk setcannot find 1607 at the momnet.

I have tried 9.5.2.1489 and have the same problem. I have also tried Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI) Driver 9.52.1709 and  11.00.1146 including 11.8.50.3426. All have code 10 error "status device power failure"

It seem it may be more like a bios issue!! I am on the current version but unable to rool back as the hp/insyde utily fails to allow me to do it! any more suggestions?

Regards

Nick

• 5. Re: Hp 15n098sa Intel Management engine interface Windows 10 1709 error
                  Intel Corporation

Hello Shadow13,

Thank you for your response,

I understand your situation and since it actually seems to be a BIOS issue the best would be to contact the manufacturer to see if they can attempt to fix the problem. 

In this case, issues related with the Intel® MEI are handled by your motherboard manufacturer which in this case it would be HP.

I apologize for any inconvenience. 

Regards,
                  David V

• 6. Re: Hp 15n098sa Intel Management engine interface Windows 10 1709 error
                    Intel Corporation

Hello Shadow13,

I am following-up with your case and see that we have not heard back from you.

Is there anything else I can do for you?

Do not hesitate to reply for any further help.

Regards,
                    David V

• 7. Re: Hp 15n098sa Intel Management engine interface Windows 10 1709 error
                      Shadow13

David hello, I have tried to get HP to supply old Bios's which are bootable from a USB as they the spxxxx.exe's on there driver site do not contain a boot option., This has taken me 10 days to convince them that they are talking rubbish.

I have also tried to install an old Bios using the Hp Diagnostics but these all fail with an error Bios signature file missing.

Nobody has been able to offer any solutions, I am told that it maybe related to Meltdown Specrte!!! ( Iknow ) I am also told an engineer from HP will contact me in the 4-5 days. No one admits anything or offers a  solution.

Please can you kick some one and get them to help?

Regards

Nick

• 8. Re: Hp 15n098sa Intel Management engine interface Windows 10 1709 error
                        supert

I'm also encountering similar trouble on all of my HP machines. The problem started about a week ago. I'm trying to reproduce it but it's been streaking through my company and taking out workstations like dominoes. They all exhibit the same issue, Intel Management Engine STATUS_DEVICE_POWER_FAILURE along with a broken Intel Wi-FI adapter and a broken High Definition Audio Controller.

Oddly, my Lenovo ThinkCentres have not had this issue despite using the same Intel Platform (Skylake + AMT).

Reinstalling any of the device drivers does not help. I have tried to use DISM and SFC to fix any corruptions, but they don't do anything. I'm on the most recent BIOS for all of my devices.

To make matters worse, these HPs, despite being EliteDesks (HP's top of class Business desktop) have issues with turning off Intel Management. When I reported the problem to HP, they said it's how Intel designed AMT and the boot errors I receive when disabling AMT are deliberate. They claimed AMT is not intended to be turned off.

I'm also going to start a support request with HP. Something is fishy and the stench is coming from the Intel/Spectre/Meltdown/HP pile. I'll report back with any solutions I find.

• 9. Re: Hp 15n098sa Intel Management engine interface Windows 10 1709 error
                          Shadow13

Supert

Many thanks for your comments, a bit of history might help. I like a laptop that works, if it is not broken do not try and fix it.

All drivers taken from Hp 15n098sa driver’s page https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-15-n000-notebook-pc-series/5401225/model/6454651

Just over 18 months ago with Bios 68 from sp73288.exe I was not able to get Windows 10 1511 , to work unless you rolled back the Engine management unit to 9.5.42.1489 and then hide the engine management updates, this has worked fine but due to a number or other issues I needed to upgrade the memory on the a couple of machines to 8gb and so thought logically that as there was a new Bios 71 released on 24th march 2017  sp79456.exe I should install this and use a clean windows 10 installation starting with a genuine Microsoft 1709 creators fall Iso, god I was wrong and I am so unhappy as for the last month nothing I do works.

I have been pulling my hair out, either to roll the bios back or really get a new fix getting a new Bios (is like getting hens teeth), rolling the Bios back has not been possible as none of the 7  HP Bios spxxxx.exe packs contain the bootable USB software even though the option is in the install program and runs successfully  saying it has made a bootable USB but when you check with diskpart it is not bootable,  for the last 10 days Hp have struggled in understanding that. They have suggested use the HP diagnostics 6.50.0.0 Uefi , which I have installed but this has the problem that says it cannot find the Bios signature file even when you copy it to the same directory, again not working.

With Bios 71 none of the temporary fixes work with windows 10 1511 or 1607 I even resorted to installing HP Support Assistant, I have even tried a clean Windows 8.1 installation and windows 7 all have the engine management error code 10 using Bios 71.

Any help  is really appreciated

Regards and thanks

Nick

• 10. Re: Hp 15n098sa Intel Management engine interface Windows 10 1709 error
                            Shadow13

Hi everyone just wondering if anyone has any more ideas as this issue is still open for me.

• 11. Re: Hp 15n098sa Intel Management engine interface Windows 10 1709 error
                              Intel Corporation

Hello Shadow13

We provide the technology to be implemented by the different OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturers) and since that is the case they are the ones who manage how they are used, activated or updated. I really apologize for any inconvenience.

Regards,
                              David V

• 12. Re: Hp 15n098sa Intel Management engine interface Windows 10 1709 error
                                supert

Shadow13,

It turns out my issue stemmed from a regression introduced in Windows 10 1709 related to Group Policy Object that pertained to DMA devices and BitLocker. After I disabled the group policy, my issue went away.

As far as your problem goes, the HP business class machines have an update BIOS from USB function where the USB does not need to be bootable. It should be an option inside of the BIOS. To use this feature the USB drive does indeed need to have the correct folder structure and appropriate .bin file for the BIOS. Format the USB drive with a GPT partition and create the following folder structure: E:\EFI\HP\BIOS\New\. Place your BIOS bin file in there (not the EXE, but the .BIN file inside of the SoftPaq exe). Beyond that, you can look at these instructions: HP Notebook PCs - Updating the BIOS | HP® Customer Support .

I should also note certain versions of the AMT Firmware the the HP BIOSes cannot be reverted to an earlier version.

• 13. Re: Hp 15n098sa Intel Management engine interface Windows 10 1709 error
                                  Intel Corporation

Hello Shadow13,

I am following up with your case and see that we have not heard back from you.

If you need more assistance do not hesitate to reply.

Regards,
                                  David V