1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2018 12:49 PM by Intel Corporation

NUC7I5BNH problems with 10-bit / HDR

Nuckelback

I have a NUC7I5BNH miniPC (Win 10, 64 bit, Fall Creators update, latest Windows updates, latest BIOS, latest drivers, latest HDMI firmware as of 24 Jan 2018) that was until recently connected to a Sony KDL-52Z5800 TV (1080p TV).

Last week, I exchanged my TV with a Sony KD-65A1 4K OLED HDR TV.

I connected the NUC with the HDMI 2 input of the Sony KD-65A1, using an Ultra HD 2160p 60Hz 18 Gbit/s HDMI 2.0b specified cable (tried 2 different ones!).

On the Sony TV, I enabled 'HDMI Enhanced mode' which allows to view 4K or HDR pictures at 18 Gbps according to http://sony-eur-eu-en-web--eur.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/136957/~/how-to-set-up-your-sony-4k-tv-for-a-uhd-%2F-4k-%2F-hdcp-2.2-compliant-hdmi

The NUC is set to 3840 x 2160 at 60Hz in the Intel Graphics Control Panel. Colour input range is set to 'Use driver setting' > 'Full range'.

I have 2 problems:

1. Colour banding: indeed, when checking in Windows in 'HDR and advanced colour settings', the colour depth is 8-bit and the colour format is YCbCr420. I don't get the NUC to output 10-bit, whereas both the NUC and the Sony TV should be compatible with this colour depth.
      2. HDR: in Windows in 'Display' the 'HDR and advanced color' toggle is visible but after I try to turn it on and confirm the new settings, the toggle is again on 'Off'. In the 'Video playback' settings page, the toggle 'Stream HDR Video' is greyed out.

Any help in sorting out those 2 issues would be greatly appreciated. According to my understanding, but the NUC7I5BNH and the KD-65A1 should be able to handle 10-bit / HDR.

Please find the necessary support files attached.

• 1. Re: NUC7I5BNH problems with 10-bit / HDR
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Nuckelback, 

I could see that you have been facing some graphics issues related to the HDR and Color Depth, let me apologize for this inconvenience and help you out with this in order to figure out the root of the issue and fix this once for all. 

I understood that you have a Sony KD-65A1 4K OLED HDR TV using the resolution 3840 x 2160 at 60Hz. 

According to the first issue; 
          I was doing some research in my end and I would like to share with you a table information that will include all the resolution, color depth and bit that your current set up will support, please check the table information below:

Table Information.

As you could see your current set up will support  YCbCr420 in 8 bit only. 

Related to the second issue; 
          I was checking the DxDiag information that you already provided to us and I noticed that you have installed the Graphics Driver Version: 23.20.16.4877. Nevertheless, There is a new version available for you. 

I would like to recommend you to install the latest Intel® Graphics Driver Version in order to make sure that your system will have the compatibility with the feature HDR. 

Please check the link below in order to download the driver. 

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27412/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-60-?product=98911

Please let me know your outcome and I will be more than happy to assist you with something else. 

Best Regards, 
          Emeth M

• 2. Re: NUC7I5BNH problems with 10-bit / HDR
            Nuckelback

Hi Emeth,

Just to make sure, I first deinstalled Intel SGX and Intel ME. I then reinstalled Intel ME and Intel SGX. In the BIOS, Intel SGX is enabled, with 128M memory as recommended in the Intel SGX readme file. I then completely deinstalled the graphics driver and reinstalled the lastest graphic driver for which you provided a link.

Regarding the first issue, I'm aware of that table and of the table at hdmi.org:

HDMI.jpg

So, putting these 2 tables together, I should be able to output 10-bit with any of the following settings:

• 3840/60p RGB 4:2:0
            • 3840/30p RGB 4:4:4
            • 3840/30p YCbCr 4:2:2

So, my question is: how do I set any of these configurations?

By the way, when I set 3840/30p with the Intel Graphic Control panel, I'm still stuck with 8-bit, this time with RGB (4:4:4, I suppose?) color space, see image attached. How come that it is still not 10-bit ???

Regarding the HDR issue, no change with the new driver. I can't still not turn it on (not with 3840p60 and not with 3840p30).

In other words, I'm not a step closer.

• 3. Re: NUC7I5BNH problems with 10-bit / HDR
              Intel Corporation

Hi, 

I understood your point, I was checking your system information and I see that you are currently using 3840 x 2160 at 60Hz.

I would like to recommend you to set up a different resolution such as;  4096 × 2160 that is a 4K Native resolution. As a matter of fact, your current resolution is Ultra-HD. 

Once you already change the resolution please try to use the 10 bit. 

As well, please let me do some research on my end in order to recreate the scenario related to the HDR issue. 

Best regards, 

Emeth M. 

• 4. Re: NUC7I5BNH problems with 10-bit / HDR
                Nuckelback

Hi,

Sorry, 4096 × 2160 is a no-go as this PC is used as a home theater PC and should use the native resolution of my TV (which is 3840 x 2160 at 60Hz) and not the other way around.

In the meantime, I had some progress: I disconnected and reconnected the TV from the power socket and thus forced the Android operating system of the TV to restart. After having done this, if I set the PC to 3840 x 2160 at 30Hz, I get 10-bit output with RGB color space (see image 2160p30.jpg) and the HDR toggle can be switched on.

As the native resolution of my TV is 3840 x 2160 at 60Hz, and taking into account the bandwith limitations of HDMI 2.0, I assume the best option for the PC settings would be 3840 x 2160 at 60Hz, 10-bit with RGB 4:2:0.

From the moment I change the PC settings to 60Hz, I fall back to 8-bit color depth (see image 2160p60). In order to stay at 10-bit color depth, which settings should I set in the Intel Graphics Control panel to achieve RGB chroma resolution 4:2:0?

As you can see in this thread https://communities.intel.com/thread/111279 , I'm by far not the only one asking that question !!

• 5. Re: NUC7I5BNH problems with 10-bit / HDR
                  Intel Corporation

Hi, 

I was doing some research on my end and I tested the same NUC model on a 4K HDR TV. 

I used the HDMI 2.0a cable and I could be able to recreate the scenario successfully.

As a matter of fact, I was able to enable the HDR feature in Windows 10 64 bit in YCbCr420 in 10 bit on  4096 x 2160 and as well on 3840 x 2160.

4096 x 2160 / 64Hz / 10-bit / YCbCr420.
                  3840 x 2160 / 60Hz / 10-bit / YCbCr420.

I would like to suggest you test your NUC with a different HDMI 2.0 Cable and if you have the possibility to use a different video port such as Type-C just to make sure would help in order to figure out more information even though if you have the chance to test a different 4K HDR TV just in order to double check your environment would be great. 

Best Regards,

Emeth M. 

• 6. Re: NUC7I5BNH problems with 10-bit / HDR
                    Nuckelback

Hi,

I tried several HDMI 2.0a cables, without success.

At 3840 x 2160 / 60Hz I get 8-bit RGB (this would be 4:4:4, because I can read all lines of the test image (attached)). Enabling YCbCr in the Intel Graphics Control Panel doesn't change this, the PC remains in RGB (also when restarting the TV and/or PC).

At 3840 x 2160 / 30Hz I get 10-bit RGB (again, this would be 4:4:4, because I can read all lines of the test image (attached)).

So, I repeat my question: in order to stay at 10-bit color depth at 60Hz, which settings should I set in the Intel Graphics Control panel (or anywhere else in Windows 10) to achieve RGB 4:2:0 or YCbCr 4:2:0 ???

• 7. Re: NUC7I5BNH problems with 10-bit / HDR
                      Intel Corporation

Hi, 

According to this table if you would like to have set up in your system 10 bit at 60Hz. 

You should have this resolution: 4096 x 2160.

4096 x 2160 / 60Hz / 10-bit / YCbCr420

HDMI

Best regards, 

• 8. Re: NUC7I5BNH problems with 10-bit / HDR
                        Nuckelback

I'm losing my patience here:

1. I've previously told you that 4096 x 2160 is not an option; I need to set it to the native resolution of my TV which is 3840 x 2160 / 60Hz
                        2. In your previous message, you mentioned yourself that you were able to get an output of 3840 x 2160 / 60Hz / 10-bit / YCbCr420
                        3. Despite of me putting my question in bold in my previous message, and thus impossible to overlook, you STILL haven't answered my plain and simple question: which settings should I set in the Intel Graphics Control panel (or anywhere else in Windows 10) to achieve 3840 x 2160 / 60Hz / 10-bit RGB 4:2:0 or YCbCr 4:2:0, AN OUTPUT WHICH YOU APPARENTLY WERE ABLE TO ACHIEVE IN YOUR SETUP, SEE POINT No. 2
                        • 9. Re: NUC7I5BNH problems with 10-bit / HDR
                          Intel Corporation

Hi, 

I understood your point and I really do apologize for the inconvenience that you have been facing moreover when I recreated the issue in our labs I was able to set up the resolution 3840 x 2160 / 60Hz / 10-bit / YCbCr 4:2:0 that you are looking for without any trouble.

In this case, I am considering that there is a lag in your system related to the TV/Monitor that is not allowing you to have that configuration. 

As a matter of fact, I recreated the issue today just to make sure that I was not missing something. Let me share with you all the details that I gathered from our labs. 

Regards,
                          Emeth M. 

• 10. Re: NUC7I5BNH problems with 10-bit / HDR
                            Intel Corporation

Hi, 

You will see in this picture on your left side the HDR and advanced color settings. 
                            On your right side, you will see the Display information such as Device and Driver Information. 

Regards,
                            Emeth M

• 11. Re: NUC7I5BNH problems with 10-bit / HDR
                              Intel Corporation

Hi, 

This picture that I am sharing with you will provide you that I was able as well to set up the HDR using the resolution 3840 x 2160 and also it will show you the system information of the NUC that I used.

Regards,
                              Emeth M. 

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: NUC7I5BNH problems with 10-bit / HDR
                                Intel Corporation

Hi, 

I would like to share with you as well the DxDiag of the system. 

Regards, 
                                Emeth M. 

• 13. Re: NUC7I5BNH problems with 10-bit / HDR
                                  Intel Corporation

Hi, 

Finally, I would like to share with you the Intel Graphics Information from the system that I used.

Regards, 
                                  Emeth M. 

• 14. Re: NUC7I5BNH problems with 10-bit / HDR
                                    Intel Corporation

Hi, 

I am wondering if you have any other questions or if you still need more assistance with this issue. 

Regards,  
                                    Emeth M

1 2 Previous Next