4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2018 2:05 PM by NU2018

Loading and Running Applications and Scripts on Galileo Gen 2 Boards

NU2018

I am interested in loading network applications, like iPerf and NttTCP, onto the Galileo 2 boards and write some custom scripts, in Perl or Python, to execute the application and generate reports and make them available to a server elsewhere or setup a webserver on one of the Galileo 2 board (but have all the other Galileo dump their results to that one).  I have successfully done this with Raspberry Pi.  I'm assuming the Galileo can do the same.  But I just haven't been able to figure out how to install applications on it.  I can ssh to the board, but that is about the extend (beside pushing LED blinking script).  Can someone point me to instructions on how to do this?  There doesn't seems like there is a repository of applications where I can install iPerf or NttTCP or the like.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Loading and Running Applications and Scripts on Galileo Gen 2 Boards
          NU2018

Additionally, is it possible to just install Debian Linux onto the boards and use the apps repository and scripting language that come with Debian?  That will solve my whole "problem".  If so, how do I load Debian onto the board?  Thanks again.

• 2. Re: Loading and Running Applications and Scripts on Galileo Gen 2 Boards
            FGT

Hi NU2018,

I am interested in loading network applications, like iPerf and NttTCP, onto the Galileo 2 boards and write some custom scripts, in Perl or Python,

I think you will have problems for installing tools like iPerf and NttTCP, basically because Intel Galileo is intended for embedded systems and it does not handle "general purpose" tools like those ones... Python is installed by default in the Linux-yocto image provided by Intel, I've not checked about perl, but maybe it's installed too.

Maybe you'll be able to install netstat... Install Netstat on Galileo

I have successfully done this with Raspberry Pi.  I'm assuming the Galileo can do the same.

I don't think considering Intel Galileo as similar to Raspberry Pi is a good idea, because they were designed with different goals: a) Raspberry Pi as a general purpose low cost computer and b) Intel Galileo for embedded systems (e.g. it does not directly handle graphic displays, mouse, keyboard, you have to "make them work" if needed).

There doesn't seems like there is a repository of applications

Application installation and repository are (maybe briefly) explained at OPKG problems with new image release

HTH,

Fernando.

• 3. Re: Loading and Running Applications and Scripts on Galileo Gen 2 Boards
              FGT

Hi again, NU2018,

Intel does not provide any OS other than Linux yocto. Having said that, there have been several reports of people/groups providing port/s of other OSs such as that of Debian, Galileo Debian v1.2 image. Maybe you are able to follow their instructions/ask the author/s about it. I've not tried any other OS, just the Linux yocto provided by Inbtel.

HTH,

Fernando.

• 4. Re: Loading and Running Applications and Scripts on Galileo Gen 2 Boards
                NU2018

Thanks FGT.  I have been downloading the SDKs and SD image from the "Debian on Galileo" project all day long.  Only a few more to go.  Ideally, once I get it working, I will ship out the Galileo boards to sites to hookup without even needing a mouse, keyboard or monitor even again.  But I do understand what you mean between a general computer system vs. an embedded systems.  But I think the way I'm using it can be consider "embedded".  I will certainly try to making my way through this "Debian on Galileo" setup and see how it goes.  Thanks.