7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2018 11:46 PM by KeithJackson

NUC7i5BNH firmware update 0052 to 0061 safe to do?

KeithJackson

I have a NUC7i5BNH using firmware 0052 and it appears to be working fine.  I see the latest firmware is 0061

but I see references in some forums to issues with firmware 0061 after updating.  This makes me a little gun-shy

about updating the BIOS though normally this would be a good idea to pick up security fixes and and other hardware

support improvements.  But this 0061 sounds a little questionable.

Can anyone comment on this?  Is it safe to update the BIOS to this version or is there hardware compatibility issues with

this BIOS update?

What is the community consensus on this?  Update or don't update?

• 1. Re: NUC7i5BNH firmware update 0052 to 0061 safe to do?
          N.Scott.Pearson

Unless one of the specific issues being raised is problematic for you, I would update...

...S

• 2. Re: NUC7i5BNH firmware update 0052 to 0061 safe to do?
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi, 

I could see that you would like to update the BIOS of your NUC7i5BNH.
            Moreover, you are not completely sure if the update will affect your system. I would like to help you out with this and figure out a possible solution of this.

I will do some research about this on my end but I would like to know more information about those issue of the BIOS update that you read in those forums.  

I will be waiting for your outcome in order to provide you the most accurate information on this. 

Best regards, 

Emeth O. 

• 3. Re: NUC7i5BNH firmware update 0052 to 0061 safe to do?
              Intel Corporation

Hello, KeithJackson.

I would like to double check if you still need assistance regarding the BIOS update inquiry you have.

Antony S.

• 4. Re: NUC7i5BNH firmware update 0052 to 0061 safe to do?
                KeithJackson

Actually, I have just attempted to update the BIOS from 0052 to 0062 using the Express BIOS update exe with Windows 10 Pro.  The update started and most of the components it updated said "done".  Then there was one that failed. The update process finished and the NUC rebooted and the window for the update utility said the update completed successfuly.   Windows 10 Pro was running.

I rebooted and pressed F2 to enter the BIOS and check.   According to it, it says my BIOS version is still BNKBL357.86A.0052.2017.0918.1346.  So still 0052.  But under the processor information I see it says the microcode update revision is 00000062.  Does this mean the NUC is partially updated to 0062?   Oh also the event log says "flash update failed (2)"  so presumably, two items near the end encountered issues.  I don't have the details of what those were as I didn't write them down while they were still on the screen.

I have not powered the system off yet but it seems to reboot successfully each time I restart the system.

How do I deal with this situation?

Can I repeat the BIOS update and see if it completes properly?

Should I repeat a BIOS update using the F7 method rather than the express update from within Windows?  Or must I do the uncomfortable option of doing a BIOS recovery?

Keith 

• 5. Re: NUC7i5BNH firmware update 0052 to 0061 safe to do?
                  Intel Corporation

Hello, KeithJackson.

It seems that not all the components of the BIOS were updated on your system. Please complete the installation of the 0062 version using the F7 method, you should not have any problem repeating the process. Please share with us the results.

Antony S.

• 6. Re: NUC7i5BNH firmware update 0052 to 0061 safe to do?
                    Intel Corporation

Hello, KeithJackson.

I would like to double check if you were able to perform the troubleshooting steps that I attached to the post above and the results.

Antony S.

• 7. Re: NUC7i5BNH firmware update 0052 to 0061 safe to do?
                      KeithJackson

Sorry to be so long since my post above.  Later that same afternoon, I decided to run the F7 update using the file for that method. It became obvious as I watched the update take place that what I had seen before was the prep steps indicating they were done but when the point at which it actually was to do the update occurred it must have simply failed on the first item.  So using the update via Windows 10 actually never took place.  It failed.

However, when I ran the update using the F7 method the update was entirely successful so the NUC is now using the latest BIOS for this model of NUC (version 0062).  Again, sorry to be so long getting back and replying.  My recommendation for anyone doing this update would be not to use the Windows 10 method of the update since there is the possibility the update will simply fail.  Better to use the F7 method which does not have Windows involved.  This was a NUC7i5BNH model that I had bought "bare bones" and added 16 GB of RAM and 1 TB SSD and 512 GB M.2 SSD. This additional hardware was all from Crucial.

Keith