12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2018 4:00 PM by N.Scott.Pearson

NUC6CAYH no Hdmi signal Latest bios & latest HDMI firmware

SST

Hello,

The HDMI signal is not there, I have to plug a VGA monitor into VGA port, reboot system & signal is received?

I need to know if I should return this unit.

I updated the bios to latest version along with the HDMI firmware as the NUC had sporadic  or no signals to any monitor when I received the unit.

I've tried 3 different HDMI cables all same results & these cables work on other PCs running same OS

I have a VGA basic monitor connected, the VGA works fine on any connected monitor I have.

The TV is a 2010 LED Samsung. only way to get the HDMI signal is to reboot & hope.  native max resolution is 1080p

From a cold boot no signal no bios splash.

Any advice on what to do would be appreciated.

I'm happy using it on VGA but will at some point need HDMI. Can it be a firmware problem with my TV? all other hdmi capable computers I have work perfectly on this tv.

I've attached my detailed system report

Thanks in advance need to reboot now & see if I can use the NUC on the TV.

• 1. Re: NUC6CAYH no Hdmi signal Latest bios & latest HDMI firmware
          SST

The Memory I'm using 2 x 4GB Crucial CT51264BF160BJ

• 2. Re: NUC6CAYH no Hdmi signal Latest bios & latest HDMI firmware
            lw1948

Try this settings in BIOS:

Advanced -> Devices -> IDG Primary Video Port  set to HDMI

Leon

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: NUC6CAYH no Hdmi signal Latest bios & latest HDMI firmware
              SST

Thanks that has worked. I've done 5 restarts & 5 shutdowns all successful with NUC splash & bios options showing each time on the TV with no VGA monitor used.  I hope when in a longer period of shutdown (overnight) it will not reproduce the issue. Setting to Auto I guess its trying to sense newer types of TV screens than one I have.

Audio would not work I think its down to the HDMI cables I have, one says its a high speed cable ( audio  didn't work) the other HDMI cable Im using  is a single link Dvi cable & audio is working on this cable.

once again thanks

• 4. Re: NUC6CAYH no Hdmi signal Latest bios & latest HDMI firmware
                lw1948

To enable audio check in BIOS the following:

Advanced -> Devices -> HDMI/Display Port Audio mark "V" in checkbox

To save the settings and exit press F10 followed by "Y"

Leon

• 5. Re: NUC6CAYH no Hdmi signal Latest bios & latest HDMI firmware
                  SST

Okay so its happened again this morning after leaving NUC overnight in shutdown state, same issue has happened no signal to HDMI I had to plug the VGA monitor in so I could reboot NUC to get HDMI back, two reboots & the signal was back. I then shutdown disconnected VGA & booted with HDMI.

I need to test this on a newer TV screen & see if the same happens. Will be doing that today.

Shall I send the NUC back if the same issues happen on newer TVs? its only been 5 days since I got it.

I don't see any audio over HDMI check box option in bios I'm on the latest version.

Only Audio option in bios is the on board audio check box. but the audio over HDMI dose work well with another cable.

I get no bios post beep either dose the NUC have an on-board speaker for bios post sound or do I need to plug a speaker into the front audio port?

• 6. Re: NUC6CAYH no Hdmi signal Latest bios & latest HDMI firmware
                    lw1948

1. I can't decide for you if you shall send you computer back. Any way you have 3 years warranty for you NUC. Try using other HDMI input in your TV.

2. I'm attaching image from BIOS showing the HDMI Audio settings. In Devices you shall open Onboard Devices.

3. There is no internal speaker in NUC. If you want hearing a beep you shall connect amplified speaker to the front jack and enable Keyboard Ready Beep or Startup sound in BIOS Boot Configuration options.

Leon

• 7. Re: NUC6CAYH no Hdmi signal Latest bios & latest HDMI firmware
                      SST

I've attached screen shot of the same section shows no HDMI audio in mine & a screen shot of the bios version. Is that the correct section I'm supposed to be looking? its nowhere else. Doses a HDMI cable need to be connected for the option to show?

Yes of course I know I can send it back , but if its not a hardware issue I would rather keep on using the NUC & avoid the hassle of sending it back.

• 8. Re: NUC6CAYH no Hdmi signal Latest bios & latest HDMI firmware
                        lw1948

Yes you are right. I've have taken image of BIOS in my NUC (which is NUC6i5SYH).  I can see that in BIOS on your NUC there is no option for HDMI Audio, However I can see other option that is worth to try: HDMI CEC Control .

CEC means Consumer Electronics Control. CEC via HDMI allows bidirectional communication between your NUC and your TV, meaning you can control some functions of your Intel NUC with your TV remote. This may be will give some signal to NUC to send a video trough HDMI?

I hope that some body else will give you in short time that will help you better.

Leon

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: NUC6CAYH no Hdmi signal Latest bios & latest HDMI firmware
                          SST

i changed to another HDMI port on tv using  my 'high speed' HDMI cable that gave no audio last night & now audio is functioning as normal.

i enabled CEC features in bios & tv sees NUC in its own CEC settings section.

powering TV on boots the NUC & same for powering off great feature. no signal loss. so far.

thanks for the advice & help , il test this set up for a few days.

p.s my samsung tv has a source list. Names for each HDMI port  can be changed example: HDMI1 can be DVI, DVI PC,  bluray , games console etc.

Maybe this was/is my problem ? & not the NUC , theres is a list of device types i am able to select for each Hdmi port or leave it blank. I've set all ports to blank no device type & that seems to have made the CEC features  run surprisingly well

• 10. Re: NUC6CAYH no Hdmi signal Latest bios & latest HDMI firmware
                            SST

Sorry if my posts text looks larger i am using my mobile device.

Tested NUC over the weekend with CEC enabled in the bios. Works great BUT i still have loss of hdmi signal on a cold boot or if i put NUC into sleep. Vga needs plugging in & 2 reboots or more to see Hdmi.

The Hdmi cable is new & works on other devices on same tv. 

using diffrent Hdmi ports & cables on tv give same results & turning CEC on or off in Bios gives the same result , i honestly thought its my Tv but when connecting other pcs to same Tv and getting instant  HDMI signal point me in thinking the NUC is defective?

I have a new Vga/hdmi monitor arriving soon & il test NUC  with that. 

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated

• 11. Re: NUC6CAYH no Hdmi signal Latest bios & latest HDMI firmware
                              SST

Bios version 0047 is what I have updated too,  its no longer available on the download site it says latest version is 0045 ? can some one explain that? & should I update to the current version AYAPLCEL.86A.0045.EB.  or stay on 0047 which seems to be the higher version.

• 12. Re: NUC6CAYH no Hdmi signal Latest bios & latest HDMI firmware
                                N.Scott.Pearson

To avoid any issues with the buggy Spectre microcode, it is recommended that you downgrade to BIOS 45. If you stay with this version, my understanding is that you may see spontaneous reboots occurring.

...S