Items with no label
3335 Discussions

Taking photos with d400 series.

JRose14
Beginner

I recently received the d415 camera and have played around with it on my desktop. I have used the realsense-viewer to generate .ply files, and have then imported the .ply files into meshlab in order to measure the dimensions of objects in the photo. It seems pretty accurate thus far.

However, I would like to be able to generate .ply / point cloud data of objects outside, not near my desktop. Is there any way of doing this, and if so, what is the most suitable hardware/software for the job? Are the cameras compatible with a tablet?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hello Jared.rosenberg,

Thanks for contacting the Intel RealSense community.

I am glad to know you have been enjoying to use the new D415. The only hardware requirement for the D400 family to work is a USB 3.0 port therefore some tablets could be suitable for the job but not every tablet is. From the software perspective the you need one of the supported OS in order for the camera software to work properly. The supported operating systems are Windows 10, MacOS and Linux.

Hope this helps to clarify your question.

Best Regards,

Juan N.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Jared.rosenberg,

Thanks for contacting the Intel RealSense community.

I am glad to know you have been enjoying to use the new D415. The only hardware requirement for the D400 family to work is a USB 3.0 port therefore some tablets could be suitable for the job but not every tablet is. From the software perspective the you need one of the supported OS in order for the camera software to work properly. The supported operating systems are Windows 10, MacOS and Linux.

Hope this helps to clarify your question.

Best Regards,

Juan N.
JRose14
Beginner

Are you aware of any Android phones/tablets that have USB 3 compatibility? I did a quick search, and it seems that these devices are hard to find.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Hi Jared, you may have more luck if you expand your search to include devices with a USB 3.0 OTG port. OTG is a mini connector on mobile devices for attaching full USB 3.0 devices via an adapter.

0 Kudos