6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2018 2:15 PM by lw1948

NUC7i3 BIOS 61 Windows 10 start menu not to be open

NilsM

Since the update to BIOS v061 my Windows 10 1709 Home Premium is not working fine. The system starts normally, after logging in sometimes all icons in the taskbar incl. start menu are not clickable. Shortcuts like Win + X do not work either. Icons on the desktop are clickable. The error affects all configured users. After one or more restarts it will work again.

NUC7i3BNH

Windows 10 1709 Home Premium 64 bit

Avast AntiVirus Free

Windows patch level currently

Driver and BIOS level currently

Who can help?

• 1. Re: NUC7i3 BIOS 61 Windows 10 start menu not to be open
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello NilsM,

Thank you for bringing this matter to the Community. I am sorry to hear you are having issues with this BIOS version.

For testing purposes, can you please roll back to the previous BIOS version and share your results?

BIOS 0057: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27347/BIOS-Update-BNKBL357-86A-?product=95066  

Recovery instructions: BIOS Recovery Update Instructions for Intel® NUC 

Regards,

Amy C.

• 2. Re: NUC7i3 BIOS 61 Windows 10 start menu not to be open
            lw1948

Hello NilsM

This is not BIOS problem, rather this is Windows 10 update problem. To fix this open Settings -> Accounts _> Sign-in options and switch OFF the option: 'Use my sign–in info to automatically finish setting up my device after an update or restart'  under Privacy.  See the attached image.

Leon

• 3. Re: NUC7i3 BIOS 61 Windows 10 start menu not to be open
              NilsM

Recovery is not possible because Power Button Menu won´t start. The other option I can´t test.

After a change in Windows privacy settings everything is fine.

• 4. Re: NUC7i3 BIOS 61 Windows 10 start menu not to be open
                NilsM

Seems to work. No error left after change.

• 5. Re: NUC7i3 BIOS 61 Windows 10 start menu not to be open
                  N.Scott.Pearson

Just for future reference...

If the power button is held down for 4 seconds, regardless of what the system is doing, it will automatically be powered off. This is a hardware feature implemented in the PCH component and cannot be overridden by software or firmware (BIOS). For the Power Button Menu, you need to power on the NUC by pressing and holding the power button down for 3 full seconds and then releasing it. The Power Button Menu will subsequently appear (it can take a few second to do so). If you hold it down for too long (i.e. 4 seconds), the unit will power back off. Just try again in this case.

Hope this helps,

...S

• 6. Re: NUC7i3 BIOS 61 Windows 10 start menu not to be open
                    lw1948

Yes I wanted to write you exactly what Scott have written about of using the Power Button Menu. I'll add some additional information which can help you in the future if you will need to use this menu - you should release the Power Button soon as the power led changes color from blue to amber. NUC will reboot into Power Button Menu. With the USB containing the latest bios file, press F4 and the recovery shall start.

So, you agree that the Start Menu lockout was not caused by the BIOS, but it was Windows problem.

One think more. Try to perform hot restart of your Windows (i.e. press Restart instead of Shutdown). Check if after Windows is back the Start Menu is still working. If you will find that it is locked, follow this steps to solve this problem too:

1- Right click on start menu and click on Run.

2- Write the command regedit and click Enter.

3- Go to path [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WpnUserService].

4- Double click on Start from the right side.

5- Change the value data to 4 then OK.

The above registry change will be stop (disable) WpnUserService (Windows Push Notifications User Service) service during startup. You will see some error in Event Log but the Windows will work.  The Windows Push Notification Services (WNS) enables third-party developers to send toast, tile, badge, and raw updates from their own cloud service. This provides a mechanism to deliver new updates to your users in a power-efficient and dependable way. 

Leon