1 2 Previous Next 25 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2018 10:34 AM by Intel Corporation

Depth error

Teeter

Dear Intel,

For my application, I have a D435 mounted about 2 meters high pointing towards the ground at about a 45 degree angle. The application reads depth data (no RGB) from the D435 and converts it into a point cloud. The point cloud is visualized as in the image below. This image shows me with my hand about 0.5 meters above the ground.

disconnected.jpg

This next image shows me with my hand slightly lower to the ground. Notice that the point cloud shows that my hand and the ground are connected even though they are not touching. In general, I've seen this issue in other scenarios where the depth visualization shows two objects connected even though they are not touching in reality.

What could be causing this problem? Does the D435 apply some kind of smoothing or regularization that could be causing two disjoint objects to appear connected?

connected.jpg

• 1. Re: Depth error
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Teeter,

Can you try the same experiment using the Depth Quality tool from the SDK 2.0?  I tested your scenario and I saw a clear differentiation from my foot to the ground.

Regards,
          Jesus 
          Intel Customer Support

• 2. Re: Depth error
            Teeter

Hello Jesus,

Are you referring to the rs-depth-quality tool? Doesn't that application only work when facing a flat surface like a wall? If you are using the tool to visualize depth, we can also use realsense-viewer to do the same thing. It is more difficult to see the problem with both of these tools because they colorize the point cloud with RGB or gray data, but I can demonstrate the problem with both tools too.

Let me illustrate my setup with a diagram. In the diagram, the D435 is pointing at the surface at about a 45 degree angle. You must transform the point cloud so that you have a good view of the area between the object and the surface. Then move the object closer or further away from the surface. As the object approaches the surface, you will see spurious points appear in between the object and the surface.

Diagram.jpg

I've seen this problem in many cases. Below are two screenshots from realsense-viewer. As I pointed out earlier, the RGB colorization makes it hard to see the problem, so it may take a bit of imagination for you to see it. The first image shows me holding a magazine above a table. The second image shows me holding the magazine closer to the table and the red arrows show the spurious points between the magazine and the table. I suggest you download both images, and switch between them quickly to see the difference in the area that I pointed to.

far.jpg

near.jpg

It is easier to see this problem if the point cloud is plain gray. I didn't find any tool in the SDK that visualizes the point cloud in this way. If you provide me with such a tool, I'm happy to run it and show you the results.

Let me know if there is any other information I can provide. Thanks.

• 3. Re: Depth error
              Intel Corporation

Hello Teeter,

I received some guidance from one of our developers.

Pre-sets may help you. The asic in the D400 can do tradeoffs between fill rate < -- > z-accuracy  < ---  > xy-accuracy.
              When you sacrifice xy-accuracy, it will fill up the missing depth from neighbors.

Included presets have the potential to improve this situation. Also, whenever looking at depth quality in the Viewer or the DQT it is important to disable post-processing. By default when you use the SDK from code the filters are disabled, but in the tools they are enabled.

Experiment with the pre-set configurations and let us know if it helps.

Regards,
              Jesus
              Intel Customer Support

• 4. Re: Depth error
                Teeter

Hello Jesus,

Thanks for your reply. I've got several follow-up comments and questions.

1. I've played with the presets. The "High Accuracy" and "Hand" presets reduce the number of spurious points (does not completely eliminate it) but I also see more holes in areas where depth was interpolated correctly previously.

2. The presets change a large combination of controls in the Advanced Mode section. Can you explain what each control does? That would help me fine-tune these controls in an attempt to find a combination that works better for my application.

3. While running realsense-viewer, how do I disable/enable post processing? I don't see a control that is labeled "post processing".

4. My colleague has used the ZR300 with SDK 1.x. With his app, I've seen the point cloud created using that hardware/SDK combination and it does NOT exhibit this problem under the same scenario (camera pointing at 45 degrees to the surface and object). It would seem like this is a new issue with the D430/D435. Is there some mode option that I could set to better mimic the ZR300's behavior in this scenario?

Thanks.

• 5. Re: Depth error
                  Intel Corporation

Hi,

1. You will see more holes with High Accuracy because the High Accuracy setting reports only on very high confidence pixels.
                  2. We do not have documentation on the Advanced Mode controls. We have given the feedback to engineering that more documentation is needed.
                  3. The Post Processing option is at the bottom of the Depth controls area in the RealSense Viewer.
                  4. I will ask engineering for more direction.

Regards,
                  Jesus
                  Intel Customer Support

• 6. Re: Depth error
                    Teeter

Hi Jesus,

Thanks for your reply. This is an important issue for our application, so please let me know when you have more information about how to improve the accuracy, especially with reference to how the ZR300 performed.

In the meantime, I've attached a screenshot of the Depth Control area. I'm not seeing an option that is called Post Processing. I may be missing something. Please point out what I should be adjusting to disable or enable post processing. Thanks!

Screenshot from 2018-01-24 15-19-48.png

• 7. Re: Depth error
                      Intel Corporation

Hi, attached is a screenshot showing the Post Processing section. My apologies, it is at the bottom of the Stereo Module section.

Regards,
                      Jesus

• 8. Re: Depth error
                        Teeter

Hello Jesus,

I was running v2.8.2, which I discovered doesn't have post processing. I upgraded to v2.9.1, which has the post processing options. Disabling these options produces a result similar to what I was seeing in v2.8.2, so the observations I made previously are still valid.

realsense-viewer v2.9.1 allows me to visualize the point cloud in 3D without RGB colorization. With post processing disabled,  I set this option:

Depth Visualization > Color Scheme > White to Black

In 3D visualization mode, I rotated the viewpoint to produce a 3D display very similar to what my app produces. In this mode, It is easy to see the problem I reported.

Please let me know when engineering has any further information regarding how to reduce this error. Thanks.

• 9. Re: Depth error
                          BjarneG

Not my intention to hijack your thread    but I have similar issues related to density of the depthmap and in particular how to influence it.  See e.g. threads

D415 in Advanced Mode

Value of unknown pixels in depth-map

Precision in depth-map

Perhaps someone from Intel can summarize relevant information and threads on this topic and put it somewhere easily available? I have a feeling this topic is (and will be) relevant to many people.

Regards,

- Bjarne

• 10. Re: Depth error
                            Intel Corporation

Hello Teeter,

Does the post-processing reduce the observed error? You can find more information on post-processing by viewing the header file at https://github.com/IntelRealSense/librealsense/blob/ba01147d65db16fdf4da36a3e718fe81c8421034/include/librealsense2/h/rs_processing.h.

You can also do a search for "post-processing" in https://github.com/IntelRealSense/librealsense and you will find where and how it is used.

If this helps, it is your best bet for improving the results.

Regards,
                            Jesus
                            Intel Customer Support

• 11. Re: Depth error
                              Teeter

Hello Jesus,

Sorry, but the post processing does not help with this problem that I reported.

I'm hoping that your engineering team can compare the ZR300 vs the D435. They may be able to figure out why the ZR300 does not exhibit this particular problem while the D435 does.

Thanks!

• 12. Re: Depth error
                                Intel Corporation

Teeter,

While I gather more info from engineering, you may want to read this new article on the pre-sets in the RealSense Viewer: https://github.com/IntelRealSense/librealsense/wiki/D400-Series-Visual-Presets

Regards,
                                Jesus

• 13. Re: Depth error
                                  Teeter

Hello Jesus,

Thanks for the article. It's helpful in understanding the differences between the presets.

Do you have information about what the "Vacuum Cleaner" and "Body Scan" presets do?

What does "point cloud spraying" in the article mean?

Thanks.

• 14. Re: Depth error
                                    Intel Corporation

Hello Teeter,

Point cloud spraying refers to the fuzziness that sometimes occurs around edges of objects. If you look at the pictures for the Default Preset, you will notice clean, sharp edges (especially around the mannequin).

There is a bug in Default Preset_435 - there is an extra "," at the end of the last parameter, which causes an error when loading.

The Vacuum Cleaner preset is optimized for looking close to the floor.

Body Scan is optimized for doing 3D scans of a human body.

Does this help?

Regards,
                                    Jesus

1 2 Previous Next