5 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2018 12:50 PM by Rwashington

Proactive Microsoft Windows Server 2016 support NUC family of products

StefanoG

I would like to request from Intel to allow a toolbox of server support for the NUC family

All Nucs not some...

The NUC family provides with an excellent platform for development and research local server, virtualization and cloud integration.

NUC is the perfect toolbox...Please help us make your product better!

Please support the largest OS manufacturer Microsoft and its Windows and Server platform...

• 1. Re: Proactive Microsoft Windows Server 2016 support NUC family of products
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Thank you very much for contacting the Intel® NUC communities. Thank you for sharing that information.

In regard to your suggestion, I just wanted to let you know that Intel really appreciates all the feedback provided by all of the peers in our communities. I will send your suggestion to the proper department so they can be aware of your comments.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,
          Alberto R

• 2. Re: Proactive Microsoft Windows Server 2016 support NUC family of products
            nudzo

No progress on this for months.

To be honest it is quite a shame when such a basal thing as ethernet adapter is not supported by NUC vs. Windows2016 family and only option is to buy USB-to-LAN dongle to get wired network.

When will be working ethernet driver available?

Regards...

• 3. Re: Proactive Microsoft Windows Server 2016 support NUC family of products
              N.Scott.Pearson

On those platforms where Windows Server 2016 support is being provided, the appropriate drivers are being provided and supported. Regarding your original question, support for Windows Server 2016 is being provided on a case by case basis. On those platforms where the decision has been made to not support this O/S, I rather doubt that this decision will change -- though you are always welcome to attempt to influence this decision-making.

Decisions like this are going to be made based upon a formal cost-benefit analysis. Each NUC is targeted at specific usage models and the features supported - including O/S(s) - will be based upon these usage models. Similarly, the estimated sales volumes will also be based upon these usage models and the TAM for them. Now, each O/S that is supported incurs a very significant cost to validate and maintain all of the necessary driver packages, etc. These costs have to be incorporated into the overall cost for the product and the per-unit cost will be based upon expected sales volumes. Thinking about this rationally -- and these are my own opinions -- I rather doubt that the (many, many) folks who, based upon their usage models, have absolutely no interest in this O/S (or even this class of O/S) are going to be willing to pay extra for a product just so the (incredibly few) folks who do have an interest are going to be supported. Just saying.

You are welcome to take the driver packages that are provided for supported platforms and attempt to use them on those platforms that are unsupported. If they work, great. If not, well, you are on your own.

...S

• 4. Re: Proactive Microsoft Windows Server 2016 support NUC family of products
                nudzo

For this particular case I'm talking about, it is just botched driver package. I've got WiFi running and Bluetooth too on NUC and Server2016, but ethernet can not detect device. Network devices are on NDIS API distinguished by NDIS version in general and Windows 10-1607 and Windows Server 2016 both use 6.60 version. Intel provides one driver package for all E100Pro family network adapters. So it is not about writing new driver, most probably just .inf files do have some PCI IDs mismatch for NUC boards or what. Also no surprise if E100Pro desktop model is deliberately banned for server OS... by Intel or by Microsoft.

Regards...

• 5. Re: Proactive Microsoft Windows Server 2016 support NUC family of products
                  Rwashington

Its great to hear that you are very much a fan of the NUC product line and its many varied uses.

Server support on the network adapter is unfortunately not likely to be up to the NUC team.

If the NUC product uses a i219-V then server is not going to be supported short of hacking apart the driver inf to shoehorn in the NIC.

Some of the NUC products may have partial or full support of server through the usage of the i21x-LM based adapters these include:  NUC8i7HV (specifically server drivers require RS3 versions of server as the radeon gpu requires 1709), NUC7ixDN, NUC6i7KYK, and NUC5ixMY.