1 2 Previous Next 27 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2018 2:24 PM by Badelhas

NUC6CAYS Spdif Toslink out not working in 5.1

Badelhas

Hi there.

I bought the NUC6CAYS two days ago, to use it has a HTPC, but I´ve been having multiple issues. One of the reasons I bought this was because it has a SPDIF Toslink Optical port, so I though I could connect it to my Home Cinema and have 5.1 digital sound but that doesn't happen, I can only get PCM (stereo) sound. I have all Intel drivers installed, can someone please help?

I also been having much trouble updating Windows 10 to the Fall Creators Update since it says I dont have enough space, which is incredible.

Cheers

• 1. Re: NUC6CAYS Spdif Toslink out not working in 5.1
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Badelhas,

Thank you for joining the Intel® NUC Community. I am sorry to hear you are having issues with this matter. 

Can you please share your current set up? Please also provide the following report; Download Intel® System Support Utility for Windows* 

To attach a file, the "attach" option will appear in the bottom right corner of the response box.

Regards,

Amy C. 

• 2. Re: NUC6CAYS Spdif Toslink out not working in 5.1
            Badelhas

Thanks for your reply

I have the NUC connected to a projector with a hdmi cable and a toslink optical cable connected to my sony home cinema. In my main computer I have a Asus DX soundcard and when I connect the optical cable the home cinema works in 5.1 and a "Digital" text appears on it, instead of "PCM", like the NUC does.

I am starting to believe that the SPDIF out port in this Intel NUC only works in stereo, which makes no sense, can that be true?

Attached you will find the file of Intel Report you asked.

I looks forward to hearing from you soon. Best regards,

André Mendes

• 3. Re: NUC6CAYS Spdif Toslink out not working in 5.1
              Intel Corporation

Thank you André.

Please let us review this behavior, I will update the thread as soon as possible.

Regards,

Amy C.

• 4. Re: NUC6CAYS Spdif Toslink out not working in 5.1
                Intel Corporation

André,

Can you please confirm the model of your Sony Cinema system?

Thank you.

Regards,

Amy C.

• 5. Re: NUC6CAYS Spdif Toslink out not working in 5.1
                  Badelhas

I'll tell you in a bit but if you don't mind my honesty it looks like your just making a question a day to make my 14 days time-frame in which I can return the Intel NUC pass. What does the model of the home cinema have to do with it if I already told you that in my main pc digital 5.1 sound works perfectly with the toslink optical cable? Did you actually check in this NUC specs if Dolby digital 5.1 AAC sound works through the spdif port? This is all I want you guys to confirm...

Cheers

• 6. Re: NUC6CAYS Spdif Toslink out not working in 5.1
                    Badelhas

The home cinema is a Sony DAV-S550.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Cheers

• 7. Re: NUC6CAYS Spdif Toslink out not working in 5.1
                      Intel Corporation

Sure, I understand your concern.

I requested that information since we want run some tests with Intel® NUC and possibly the same model of the home cinema you have, since you mentioned that it works fine with your other set-up it makes us curious on what is happening with the Intel® NUC set up specially if you are running the latest drivers and BIOS. I was not aware that have the option 14 days period return. Regarding your second question, we checked the specification of the Intel® NUC and this is just a another reason why we are requesting this information. If you would like to return the Intel® NUC feel free since is an option for you, from my end we are interested in knowing what is causing the behavior so we will proceed to review this with the new piece of information.

Regards,

Amy C.

• 8. Re: NUC6CAYS Spdif Toslink out not working in 5.1
                        Badelhas

Thanks for your answer. But you still haven't answered my question directly: should this NUC be working in 5.1 sound output when connected by the optical cable? Is this supported by the NUC?

Cheers

• 9. Re: NUC6CAYS Spdif Toslink out not working in 5.1
                          N.Scott.Pearson

In the TPS' feature summary:

Compressed 5.1/7.1 digital audio through a mini-TOSLINK jack on the back panel.

But, in the TPS' description of the mini-TOSLINK Interface:

The 3.5 mm audio jack also provides TOSLINK optical digital audio output.

• Mini-TOSLINK interface (back panel) plus analog audio out
                              • PCM datastream support
                              • S/PDIF datastream support
                              • Mini-TOSLINK adaptor (not included) necessary to connect to standard TOSLINK cable
                              • Stereo audio out

The last bullet is the strange one. It could mean that, overall, only stereo output is supported. Alternatively, it could mean that, for just analog audio output, only stereo is supported.

If I had to guess, I would think - and hope - that 5.1/7.1 output is possible with the right cable...

...S

• 10. Re: NUC6CAYS Spdif Toslink out not working in 5.1
                            Badelhas

Amy, can you please help me?

• 11. Re: NUC6CAYS Spdif Toslink out not working in 5.1
                              Martin_HM

Hi Andre, I'm not Intel staff, but maybe I can help just a little bit:

I'm running my NUC6CAYH in a similar setup, video via HDMI to the TV and audio either via HDMI as well or via SPDIF to the receiver.

In layman terms, SPDIF basically is a optical system, which can transmit either 2-channel PCM or encoded multi-channel AC-3 = Dolby Digital.

Regarding Scott's note: This has nothing to do with the spec of the  3.5 mm jack. This jack houses both an electrical analog stereo output AND an optical Mini TOS-LINK output. To access the TOS-Link, you need a special Mini-TOS-LINK connector, which mechanically looks like a 3.5mm stereo connector.

Whether you see (I should say: hear) 2-channel PCM or 5.1 Dolby Digital depends on the settings of the HTPC software you are running on the NUC and on the system settings of the SPDIF output.

I assume you are running Kodi or PLEX? Then look under audio settings.

You must not let the software decode the audio signal. If the software decodes the signal, then it will send a PCM stream via SPDIF, and since SPDIF if specified for 2 channel only, this will be a stereo downmix.

Let the software send the un-decoded signal. In Kodi, this is called Passthrough. In this case the encoded (and compressed) multi-channel signal is sent to the receiver (i.e. your Sony Home Cinema) and the receiver will do the decoding, and show "Dolby Digital" in the display.

The only time this doesnt work is when the audio is DTS-HD, since uncompressed HD audio (not to be confused with HD video) can only be transmitted via HDMI.

• 12. Re: NUC6CAYS Spdif Toslink out not working in 5.1
                                Martin_HM

Regarding "Fall Creators Update since it says I dont have enough space":

If my interpretation of your setup-file is correct, then your Windows drive is a 32GB Sandisk SSD with only 8GB of free space.

This may in fact be not enough space. afaik you need about 20GB free space for the update.

You should be able to perform a new install, but better have that confirmed in a Microsoft- or Windows forum.

Windows 10 System Requirements & Specifications | Microsoft

(hope it's ok to post this link in this forum)

• 13. Re: NUC6CAYS Spdif Toslink out not working in 5.1
                                  Badelhas

Hi Martin_HM, and thanks a lot for your answer since you helped more than Intel staff themselfs, which asked me several questions but did not provide me with any answer yet. Regarding the Update I was able to perform it using a external drive since I didnt have space, the windows update itself asked for it so that part it solved.

Regarding the DIGITAL 5.1 sound I am not using Kodi, I am using BsPlayer to watch moves, I as always have . On my main PC, when I had a Creative Soundblaster Audigy 5.1 card and with my current Asus DX Card I dont have to do anything on the player I use to watch the media, the moment I selected DIGITAL instead of PCM on the sound-card settings (see my attached print screen) the sound was being transmitted by DIGITAL only. Then, if the movie had 5.1 sound the 6 speakers would work, if the movie only had stereo sound, it would work in stereo.

I dont understand why this realtek codec is any different and what I have to do to make it work. If I choose realtek spdif in the windows sound out settings, why dosent it just work in DIGITAL?!

Cheers

• 14. Re: NUC6CAYS Spdif Toslink out not working in 5.1
                                    Badelhas

Just an update: in windows sound options I was able to test Dolby Digital and DTS Audio and heard sounds coming from all the speakers, and the Home Cinema said "DIGITAL" while Bsplayer or Media Player Classic it dosent work, just stereo PCM. I followed this tutorial https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/boardsandkits/Configure-Surround-Sound.pdf  for the correct settings on Media Player Classic but the movie (Which I assure you was encoded in AC3 Dolby 5.1 sound) only works in stereo. I DONT UNDERSTAND THIS! PLEASE HELP!

Cheers

1 2 Previous Next