Software Storage Technologies
Virtual RAID, RSTe, and Memory Drive Technology
Announcements
Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

Looking for RAID, VROC? You found the forum to ask questions!

ssd caching with Raid5

oGaut
Beginner

Hi,

I got a raid 5 on a C236 Chipset, i also got on the same motherboard an M2 SSD. I run a Windows Server 2016.

I can't find a version of RSTE with ssd caching. And RST (not e) version i found didn't want to install on my server.

Is there a solution to that problem?

Thank you

0 Kudos
8 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello

Thank you for contacting us.

In order to better assist you, please tell us:

Your system specifications:

OS

Motherboard

RAM

CPU

Storage devices

Please also let us knowr which SSDs are you planning to use.

Once we get this info we will proceed with the next best actions

Kind regards

0 Kudos
oGaut
Beginner

Hi,

Motherboard : ASUS P10S WS S1151 C236

RAM : 16 Go ECC (2* KVR24E17S8)

CPU : CORE I7-7700K 4.20GHZ

Storage devices :

- Raid 5 (3*DBSLA0020H 2TB)

- 2 * 4TB (WD40EZRZ)

- 1 * SSD intel 5400S M2 48 G (SSDSCKKR048) This is the one i want to use as cache

Thank you

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for the prompt response, we will be looking forward on the information to gather a correct answer by the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Team

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello got_fr

In regards to your question

Intel® RSTe supports the ability to enable/disable write back cache through the Intel® RSTe GUI. write back Cache is disabled by default.

Please keep in mind that enabling write back cache will improve the RAID logical drive performance but may cause unwritten cached data loss if power is lost.

You can enable the write back cache feature under advanced tab on the raid configuration

Pleases check page 61 of the Intel® RSTe User Guide https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/motherboards/server/sb/g40440_005_rste_swug_r1_5.pdf here

If this is not the feature that you are looking for you can also take advantage of the Intel® Smart Response Technology that comes with Intel® RST, you can find more information https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/smart-response-technology.html here

Best Regards

Luis H
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello got_fr,

We are following on your post status since we provided you with advise on your question, however we haven't received a reply yet.

Please let us know if you require further assistance

Best Regards

Luis H
0 Kudos
oGaut
Beginner

Hello

Write back cache isn t what i want. I want to use an m2 ssd as cache.

Rst isn t an option my system didn't accept it.

Thank you

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello got_fr,

We would like to inform you that Intel® RSTe doesn't have a feature to setup an SSD as cache device.

In your case our best recommendation will be to take advantage of the Intel® Cache Acceleration Software which is a software that Intel has developed in order to use SSD's as cache devices. You can check more information about the software https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/software/intel-cache-acceleration-software-performance.html here

Regards

Luis H
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello got_fr,

Thanks for your time and we're sending you this message as a follow-up to your question and to see if the information that we've provided you was useful for your situation.

Please remember that if you require more assistance or want to add additional details, we'll be glad to assist you

Regards,

Chris
0 Kudos