Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14405 Discussions

CPU Temp of I3 540 is 82c at idle!!!

idata
Employee

I just installed an I3 540 on as Asrock H55DE3 motherboard. Everything seems to be running OK but I noticed that the CPU Temp is 82 degrees C at idle!! That ?seems high. I am using the stock Intel cooller but should it be running that high at idle? I have not overclocked at all and I am using Kingston Vaule Ram at 1.5 volts.

Any comments or insight is appreciated.

12 Replies
idata
Employee

this is a problem of heathsink I think.

also check thermal paste.

0 Kudos
RDas4
Beginner

i'm using i3 540 for 4 years now.. and just a few days ago and ongoing I saw lags on my desktop performance. I checked my cpu temp using intel desktop utilities which says that cpu temp is 104 in celsius ... what shall i do..plz reply asap

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

go buy other cpu cooler, your stock hsf is maybe defective

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Same happened to me as well. I just completed the build and I noticed that my core i3 540 cpu is running between 78 C and upto80 C at idle. I didn't realize till I looked at BIOS not more that 1 hour in. All fans are running so I did not suspect this high temp. I read that these processors can handle over 80 C max load, but I also believe it is stock heatsink problem. I just upgraded to a better heatsink fan which I will install later today.

0 Kudos
DSilv11
Valued Contributor III

Check the heat sink.

The screws may be damaged and not tightening down.

Likely the cpu is throttling so your not getting max performance either.

Good news is that the because the CPU throttles it is not likely that you have done any damage to the processor yet.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

can u rec a heatsink fan?

0 Kudos
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

Coursair Makes a real nice H2O Kit for about $75.00. Good unit I have two . READ the INFO , look at newegg , Model ( H-50 ).

0 Kudos
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

AT Idle you should see 35c to 40c .

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Make sure you have the "latest" BIOS.

Make sure your heatsink is fully seated.

0 Kudos
IUman
Honored Contributor II

Download http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/processors/000005567.html Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool to test if your processor is working correctly.

What is the RAM part number you are using?

Is your system slow or it is working fine?

Does your system shutdown or do you get any bsod?

Also, here are some tips that you can follow:

• Check the Fan/Heatsink. Is it properly installed?
  • Are the push pins in the correct position and is the heatsink securely attached to the socket/motherboard?
  • Are you using the recommended fan/heatsink for your boxed processor?
  • If you are using the fan/heatsink that came in the box with your Intel® Boxed Processor, you have the correct one.
  • Is there Thermal Interface Material (TIM) on the bottom of the heatsink?
  • Intel heatsinks have thermal material on them from the factory. If you need additional Thermal Interface Material, and have a boxed processor that is still within the warranty period of three years, contact Intel® customer support for TIM.
  • http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/processors/000005576.html Procedure to replace Thermal Interface Material (TIM).

Airflow is not blocked. Move cables or other hardware that may block airflow.

Do not use more fans than are required for your chassis. More is not better.

Update the BIOS. Verify you have the latest BIOS and update it if needed.

Correct Chassis. Do you have the correct chassis for the processor? http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/processors/000006970.html See How to recognize a Thermally Advantaged Chassis.

Regards,

Ivan

RDas4
Beginner

it seemed that there was some software issue as after reinstaliing the cpu fan though the temperature decreaded a bit but it was still above 80 most times..so i formated my system and now everything is stable..thnx for ur assistance

0 Kudos
IUman
Honored Contributor II

I'm glad that your system is now working fine and thank you for taking your time to let us know how you solved the problem.

Best wishes,

Ivan

0 Kudos