Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14508 Discussions

Changelog for Spectre/Meltdown Microcode update

DChil2
Beginner

Intel has released a new version of the processor microcode that is available here.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27431/Linux-Processor-Microcode-Data-File Download Linux* Processor Microcode Data File

However, it does not include a changelog and the release notes are basically useless. Can you please provide an explanation as to what is included in this microcode update. What exactly has changed. Anecdotal evidence points to the fact that this microcode update helps mitigate meltdown and spectre, but as these are binary files I have no way of determining what they do or how they do it. Please provide a useful changelog that documents what has changed along with what these changes help mitigate against. Additionally explaining best practices on how to utilize these changes would also be helpful.

This is important because I'm part of the Linux Development Community, and I'm trying to figure out what other parts are necessary in the kernel and elsewhere in order to mitigate these security vulnerabilities for end users.

If this information is already available somewhere consider fixing your sitewide search such that a search for spectre or meltdown actually returns something.

Thank you,

0 Kudos
1 Reply
idata
Employee

Hello npoc,

Thank you for contacting Intel® Communities Support.

We will do our best to provide the information you are looking for.

Currently we are doing further research on this subject, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Stephen C.
0 Kudos