4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2018 3:23 AM by Ibex

NUC7i5BNK NUC memory query

Ibex

I recently ordered a Intel NUC7i5BNK NUC, and was deciding on compatible RAM.

I have Crucial 16GB Kit (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 SODIMM Memory for Mac | CT2C8G4S24AM | Crucial UK  and was wondering if a) it'd be compatible, and b) what are the consequences (realistically).

I looked at System Memory for Intel® NUC Kits NUC7i[x]BN and read other related queries and have learned that apparently it'd affect the life span of the processor? How much would it affect it by (relatively speaking and what assumptions)?

Thanks

Edit:

I was comparing my CT8G4S24AM stick with CT8G4SFS824A (from the approved list CMTL > Search > Tested Motherboard > Results) and I couldn't see any obvious differences, but yet their compatibility tool stated that CT8G4S24AM would not work.

I contacted the Crucial live support querying this and they said that it was and I quote "designed for mac". Can anyone expand on this?

• 1. Re: NUC7i5BNK NUC memory query
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Ibex,

Thank you for joining the Intel® NUC Community. I can sure help with your question.

This model of Intel® NUC only supports DDR4-2133 1.2V SO-DIMM only, the part memory in question will not work. We do not have specific data on how using unsupported memory affect the life span of the processor, we know it will affected but we do not have time-life. We only test our products with the specs they were designed for.

I checked with Crucial compatibility tool and it also states is not compatible, see the attachment. For your Crucial question referring to Mac, only Crucial can comment on that.

You can check http://compatibleproducts.intel.com/ProductDetails/ExportPeripheralInfo?moduleName=Intel%C2%AE%20NUC&productType=Kits&pr… for tested part numbers on this unit.

Regards,

Amy C.

• 2. Re: NUC7i5BNK NUC memory query
            Ibex

Hello Amy,

Thank you for your reply. I see that it "supports" DDR4-2133, but according to the listing in OP, Intel have also tested certain DDR4-2400 and have the NUC system fully operational. The one in question has almost identical specs to one Intel have confirmed to work, but Crucial claims it does not. One would assume DDR4-x to be a standard, so how would this specific version be different and "only work for Macs"?

I know this forum isn't the place to be comparing Mac vs standard hardware, but my main question is, has it been tested and confirmed that it does not work, or is it an assumption yet to be confirmed (as the RAM still appears to be quite new)

• 3. Re: NUC7i5BNK NUC memory query
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Ibex,

I wish I could help you with that specific inquiry, but that is out of our scope. From my end, we provide the specification but I do not have any piece of information that could justify why that memory only work for Macs.

Regards,

Amy C.

• 4. Re: NUC7i5BNK NUC memory query
                Ibex

I can confirm that the specified RAM does indeed work, regardless of the claim on Crucial's tool. Did some memory tests, BIOS recognised it fine.