Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7365 Discussions

AC-3165 Speed Issues

FMant
Beginner

I have an HP laptop with the AC-3165 wireless adapter. I will do a speed test and it will get about 25-30 mbits, if I turn off the adapter, give it a few seconds and turn it back on it will get my full speed of 100 mbits. Has anyone else had this issue? Running Windows 10 64-bit latest drivers installed.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello CiscoTN71,

We understand you're experiencing sporadic performance issues on your laptop using the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165.

In order to better assist you, please share the following:

1. Please generate a report of your system using the Intel® System Support Utility.

1. Download the latest https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293 Intel® SSU.

2. While connected to your WiFi, select to run the scan for "everything."

3. Save and name the report.

2. Please generate a WLAN Report.

1. Right click on your start menu and select Command Prompt (Admin).

2. Type: netsh wlan show wlanreport

3. Go to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WlanReport\ and locate the wlan-report-latest.html

Note: To enable attachments, please make sure to use the advanced editor while replying.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
ЕКорч
Beginner

I have exact same issue. I have dell 7657 laptop with Intel AC 3165 on board. When i turn on it has 4 Mbps on speedtest. Then i turn it off/on in device manager and speedtest shows 75 Mbps. It happens every time. Here my SSU Report and Wlan report

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello joedraiser,

Thanks for providing these logs. We have some additional questions for you:

- Does the issue only happen when you first turn on the computer? Or can it happen after coming back from sleep?

- Was there a time when the adapter worked normal? (previous driver, or before updating to Fall Creators Update).

- Have you tried using this computer connected to a different network, if so, does the issue follow your system?

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
ЕКорч
Beginner

1. Issue happens every time laptop boots up with wifi network connected. If i disconnect wifi spot before i shutdown laptop and uncheck box "automatic connect" in wifi network settings then laptop boots up with no wifi network connected. In this case there is no issues and laptop has normal wifi perfomance.

I have hibernation/sleep modes turned off and i can test these lately.

2. Seems to be there were no issue before Fall Creators update becouse I had done windows recovery and problem gone for some time. But I'm not sure.

3. Issue following on all networks with no difference.

One of the solution i found is to uncheck box "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" in driver power management properties

Sorry for my bad english

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello joedraiser,

Thanks for the detailed answers.

If you were to leave the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" unchecked and restart your system, would you still get 100 Mbps connection on the speed tests results?

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
ЕКорч
Beginner

Yes. If i leave "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" box unchecked issue is gone.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello joedraiser,

Thanks for sharing this solution.

CiscoTN71, please go to the adapter Power Settings at Device Manager and remove the check from "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" .

Please let us know if this solves the issue for you as well.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos