Software Storage Technologies
Virtual RAID, RSTe, and Memory Drive Technology
Announcements
Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

Looking for RAID, VROC? You found the forum to ask questions!
309 Discussions

Backplane SGPIO not working with Windows Server 2016

SFrom
Beginner

I have a Supermicro X11SPH-nCTPF motherboard and the two iPass SATA ports are going to the first two ports in my SC846 chassis that uses a BPN-SAS-846A backplane. The backplane supports SGPIO and SES through an iPass w/SB cable but under Windows Server 2016 I can not get the drive location lights, red LEDs, to toggle. I'm using the latest RSTe available for this platform, ver. 5.3.0.1413 and it is in AHCI mode. As a test I created a Ubuntu USB boot disk and I was able to toggle the lights using the ledctl utility. I'm assuming this is then a driver issue with the OS. Is there a newer version or a beta version I could try?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello System48,

Thanks for contacting Intel® Rapid Storage Technology enterprise (Intel® RSTe), in regards to your case and to appropriate address on your issue we'll like that you please provide us some more information about the equipment that you're currently using; can you please provide us the following?
  • Processor model:
  • Amount of RAM that you have installed:
  • Number of Storage devices and their capacity (SSDs and HDDs) on your machine:
  • The Drives are used in a RAID (0, 1, 5, 10) configuration?:
Also will be extremely useful that you please provide us with the RSTe Log Files; you can find them on C:\Users\[Name]\Intel\ and also you can send us the LOG files generated by the RSTe User interface by using the Email Notification Feature.

Also, please remember that if you require more assistance or want to add additional details, we'll be glad to assist you

Best regards,

Chris
0 Kudos
SFrom
Beginner

Here's the info.

• Processor model: Xeon Silver 4108
  • Amount of RAM that you have installed: 16GB (2x8GB)
  • Number of Storage devices and their capacity (SSDs and HDDs) on your machine: 6x4TB HDD, 1x 2TB HDD, 2x240GB SSD
  • The Drives are used in a RAID (0, 1, 5, 10) configuration?: The six 4TB drives are on the 2 iPass SATA ports in AHCI, the two 240GB SSDs are connected to the two seperate SATA ports and are in RAID 1 and the one 2TB is on a SAS add-in card in IT mode.

I didn't see any RSTe logs at, C:\Users\[Name]\Intel\, just two ME logs and a chipset driver log. I kicked off a RAID verify to generate an e-mail and attached that.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello System48,

Thanks for your reply with the requested information and we apologize for the delay on our answer, as the first step that you can take; we'll recommend that you please proceed and download the latest supported version of RSTe from your motherboard manufacturer (SuperMicro*) since the OEMs could normally customize or modify the drivers and software of their equipments for compatibility or performance purposes; and they'll normally release on their own websites, versions of the software that has been tested to work on their equipment without issues.

In this case, I'll like to confirm that the following it's your motherboard:

https://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/C620/X11SPH-nCTPF.cfm

Aside from that, we'll investigate what could be causing this difference of drivers behavior under Windows 2016 and Ubuntu; so we can provide you with a solution for the situation you've found.

Also, please remember that if you require more assistance or want to add additional details, we'll be glad to assist you

Regards,

Chris
0 Kudos
SFrom
Beginner

Yes, that is my motherboard. I had started with the Supermicro supplied driver and had moved to the latest Intel driver trying to resolve this issue. To verify I rolled back the driver and RSTe GUI application to the latest available from Supermicro for my motherboard which is version 5.2.2.1022. One other thing, bundled with the Intel provided drivers is a CLI utility, rstcli. If I try to use the locate command with this utility with either the latest Intel drivers or the Supermicro provided drivers, using the utility bundled with v5.2.0.1215, this is what I get.

"rstcli64.exe -M -L 1-1-0-0

SsiPhyLocate phyHandle[0] = 66

Invalid Parameters.

Could not locate phy(s) for specified disk(s)."

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello System48,

Thanks for the information and in regards to your issue we'll investigate what is causing the issue that you're experiencing and why the difference between Linux and Windows; as soon as we have information we'll contact you back; would be fine if we communicate with you using the forum or you'll prefer us to communicate via email?

Regards,

Chris
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello System48,

Thanks for your time and we apologize for the delay in our answer; in regards to the next release of Intel® Rapid Storage Technology enterprise (Intel® RSTe), it's planned to be released in the next weeks to be distributed and validated by the Motherboard OEMs to ensure compatibility with their products.

About the LEDs, Supermicro* implements a LED management process based on recommendations we've provided them, but because of this they could not work as intended, so; our best recommendation it's to contact Supermicro* support directly to have instructions on how to enable properly the LEDs under Windows* Server 2016.

Regards,

Chris
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello System48,

Thanks for your time and we're sending you this message as a follow-up to your post and to see if the information that we've provided you was useful for your situation.

Please remember that if you require more assistance or want to add additional details, we'll be glad to assist you

Best regards,

Chris

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello System48,

Thanks for your time and we're sending you this email as a follow-up to your case and to see if the information that we've provided you was useful for your situation.

Please let us know if you need further assistance

Best regards,

Chris

0 Kudos
billydv
Beginner

So I had to work to track this down, You need to match driver and orom versions, then it works. My stat and sas oroms, you can find versions by hitting ctrl I on boot. Install gui version 4.1 for the drivers, voila it works

0 Kudos