Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2045 Discussions

Does Intel discontinue to support Intel Smart Response Technology(ISRT) for 8th Coffeelake family?

MIwas
Beginner

Hello everyone,

I understand that system of up to 7th Gen CPU(Kabylake),chips and Motherboards support ISRT.

I built up my new machine configured as follows;

i5-8400

gigabyte Z370N-wifi

m.2: SamsungEVO960 NVMe (OS installed)

m.2: Intel Optane memory(32GB)

SATA: HGST HDD & crucialSSD

Then just tried to accelerate SATA data disk using Optane memory as cash in same manner of 7th Kabylake system

but I couldn't activate Opatane memory in window of Intel Rapid Storage procedure(activating button isn't clickable).

Looking forward your advise

Regards,

nao

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello, nao

I understand you are having some questions regarding the Smart Response Technology and the acceleration of a SATA data disk using the Optane memory. Allow me to help you regarding this issue.

Just for you to know, the Intel® Smart Response Technology (ISRT) is a feature that the 8th generation of processors have.

Furthermore, regarding your question about accelerate a SATA data disk; I was able to find in the manual of you motherboard, page 41, that "An Optane™ memory cannot be used to accelerate an M.2 PCIe SSD". Here you have the link where I found this document for you to double check it and find more information about this issues you are facing: http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_z370n-wifi_e.pdf http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_z370n-wifi_e.pdf

I hope this answers all your questions.

Antony S.

0 Kudos
MIwas
Beginner

Hello, Antony S

Tons of thanks for your reply and kindness.

I read manual you mentioned,

and I understand that ISRT can't target M.2 PCIe SSD to be accelerated.

But my issue is how to accelerate SATA disk using M.2 PCIe SSD.

I tried another way,

use SATA SSD as cash to accelerate SATA HDD in old manner but failed.

So complicated and confused…

Possibly it's better to wait some time or to reinstall completely

Anyhow

Thanks again for your advise

Regards,

nao

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, nao

Thank you very much for your reply.

In this specific case, I will highly recommend you to get in touch with the manufacturer of your Motherboard to verify if there is any restriction for you to achieve this.

Antony S.

0 Kudos