Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20499 Discussions

Will my old computer support Windows 10 ? - Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator 3100

BL
Beginner

I'm trying to determine whether my old computer will support @Windows 10. I would be upgrading from Vista! I only need it to support a machine my wife will use for crafts (making vinyl clings, decals, etc.), so hoped to avoid buying a new computer.

My old computer is a Dell Inspiron 1720. The CPU is Intel Core 2 Duo T7100, Clock speed 1.8 GHz, Bus speed 800 MHz, with 2M L2 Cache, and my RAM is 2Gb DDR2 667 MHz. Those specs seem up to the task, but I'm not sure about the graphics.

Windows 10 requires DirectX 9-capable video card with WDDM 1.0 driver. My machine's paper work states I have Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator 3100, but I'm having trouble figuring out whether that meets the Windows 10 minimum.

Does someone here know?

Might need help determining whether I have the 'WDDM 1.0' driver, too!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Your graphics and processor are not supported on Windows 10.

This does not mean that Windows 10 will not run, but you may have problems getting W10 to install, and then upgrading from version to version.

You will be using the Microsoft generic driver, which may meet your needs.

I know you do not want to replace your hardware, but that is the best thing to do. Find yourself a new laptop, or a newer laptop that is currently supported.

Here is a list of processors and graphics that are supported:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006105/processors.html Does My Intel® Processor Support Microsoft Windows® 10?

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005526/graphics-drivers.html Supported Operating Systems for Intel® Graphics Products

Get new(er) hardware. You will be glad you did.

Doc

BL
Beginner

Thanks for the info, and for the quick reply!

0 Kudos