6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2018 4:00 PM by Intel Corporation

NUC NUC5i3RYH BIOS Version 0368 Slow down

StanP50

Saw there was a BIOS update for the NUC NUC5i3RYH issued on 12/22 for security, figured it was the patch related to the CPU vulnerability. As I always try to maintain the most current drivers, firmware etc for the box, I upgraded from 0367, the upgrade went without issue, however, when the system came back up it was so slow, it took almost 3 to 6 minutes to reach the desktop at login, previously it was just seconds. The system as a whole was extremely unresponsive at best. Decided to attempt a revert back to 0367, and was succuessful (thank god) now everything is instant and as it was. Not sure what 0368 is supposed to fix or correct, but I would not advise upgrading to it.

• 1. Re: NUC NUC5i3RYH BIOS Version 0368 Slow down
          georg69

damn!. that bios is necessary to fully protect  (together with 3 january windows patch) from meltdown and spectre vulnerabilities our PCs

intel , please, help us !

• 2. Re: NUC NUC5i3RYH BIOS Version 0368 Slow down
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Thank you very much for contacting the Intel® NUC communities. We will do our best assist you with this scenario.

Based on your report, we will do further research on this matter, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,
            Alberto R

• 3. Re: NUC NUC5i3RYH BIOS Version 0368 Slow down
              joyrider

i can confirm i'm seeing the same thing on my NUC 5i5RYH i have the windows updates and just applied the bios update from 05/01/2018 being also version 0368 and system performance is bad, not to mention i hear the fan more now than before the update.  My nuc has 8 gig ram and a sata SSD where windows is installed on (not m.2 slot). I do have a lot running on the system like apache webserver + mysql for emoncms (electric monitoring), home assistant, home assistant dashboard, 4 times self created wemoinsightemoncs which gets power value from a wemo (insight) switch and post it's to emoncms like every 5 seconds, 4 times another alike system for reading and posting power values from another power switch, burst coin mining (due note burstcoin is POC, and uses hard disks to mine not constant cpu powers, look it up so it's no the same as bitcoin mining). So my nuc was running heavily already before the bios update.

Although what i notice the most is that booting windows and starting all the applications above automatically at system start takes a hell of a lot more time than before, i also notice it when just running taskmanager when it had not run before you can see slowdowns and i also see it with burstcoin mining, it needs more time to read the plot files from all my disks attached using usb 3.0 (remember burstcoin uses harddisk space and it's not like mining bitcoin, it's one of a kind coin atm). Once everything is running it does work but impact is noticeable with me as well

I do understand the microcode update needed to mitigate the problems has an impact on system performance, but it's definatly noticeable and i'm also thinking about reverting back to the previous bios version.

anyway just wanted to point out i'm seeing it on NUC5i5RYH as well so i can only imagine it's worse on a NUC5i3RYH

edit: went back to previous bios version. the windows patch patches meltdown anyway and i only use this nuc for the things i mentioned above, the chances of me running in that specific spectre exploit are slim so i'd rather take the risk and keep the performance. I haven't decided if i will install it on my main pc. Have to wait for lenovo to release bios update and test / feel myselve the impact before deciding i'm keeping it

• 4. Re: NUC NUC5i3RYH BIOS Version 0368 Slow down
                Intel Corporation

I just received an update on this matter and we were unable to reproduce the issue. In fact, in our lab, after BIOS update from 367 to 368 a small improvement was reported.

Screenshots with performance tests:

BIOS 367:

BIOS 368

Any questions, please let me know.

: If you need further assistance on this matter, please submit your inquiry on a new thread, the reason for this is that every scenario is different even if the same product is being used, so for us to better assist you and in order to try to fix the problem, please submit a new thread:
                https://communities.intel.com/community/tech

Let me apologize for any inconvenience.

Regards,
                Alberto R

• 5. Re: NUC NUC5i3RYH BIOS Version 0368 Slow down
                  joyrider

The test results above show my problem, file i/o is worse with 0368 (lower diskmark score 1437 in 367 vs 1301 in 368 = 9.46416% difference) i especially notice this with burstcoin mining which is poc not pow and does a lot of file i/o like reading hashes from file not cpu calculations. The reading off all my usb 3.0 disks which are not ssd's during burstcoin mining is much slower compared to 0367, i also notice this in program and windows startup (because i autostart a lot of programs). To give an idea i use (currently) 20TB yes 20000 gigabyte for burstcoin mining spread over 8 disks of diffrent variaty (one is even usb 2.0) some are old pc disks in a sata to usb 3.0 enclosure and then some powered and not powered (mobile) usb 3.0 disk during a single block it reads 1/4096th - approximately 0.024% of that 20 TB  which is about 4,8 gigabyte to be read each time and the time it takes to do this takes longer in 368 compared to 367

I'm staying on 0367 as i dont think it would give me the same speeds ever again with 0368 and above and more importantly because i don't use the nuc as a my main computer so the chances of me into running a spectre based exploit are slim or at least i think so i'm also very cautious and sceptical with all things pc

• 6. Re: NUC NUC5i3RYH BIOS Version 0368 Slow down
                    Intel Corporation

Thank you very much for sharing that information. In this case if you need further assistance on this matter please submit a new thread.
                    https://communities.intel.com/community/tech

Let me apologize for any inconvenience.

Regards,
                    Alberto R