Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Intel HD620 graphics driver bug

AAncu1
Beginner

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

watching twitch.tv streams at 1080p@60fps, fullscreen freezes chrome and windows in a matter of seconds

watching task manager, the frequency of the CPU goes to 3.1GHZ (maximum turbo) and CPU usage seems a bit higher: ~25-30% compared to ~20-25% with the OEM driver

watching chrome's chrome://gpu page, hardware decoding seems to be ok:

Graphics Feature Status
  • Canvas: Hardware accelerated
  • CheckerImaging: Disabled
  • Flash: Hardware accelerated
  • Flash Stage3D: Hardware accelerated
  • Flash Stage3D Baseline profile: Hardware accelerated
  • Compositing: Hardware accelerated
  • Multiple Raster Threads: Enabled
  • Native GpuMemoryBuffers: Software only. Hardware acceleration disabled
  • Rasterization: Hardware accelerated
  • Video Decode: Hardware accelerated
  • Video Encode: Hardware accelerated
  • WebGL: Hardware accelerated
  • WebGL2: Hardware accelerated

this issue was NOT present with the OEM driver that came preinstalled (21.20.16.4550). Also, the version 21.20.16.4627 which is the latest found by Windows Update is behaving normally.

Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")<p> 

Always (100%):

Often (51-99%): X

Sporadic (20-50%):

Very Sporadic (<20%):

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

<td style...
0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello AndreiA,

Thank you for contacting Intel Support,

I understand that you are having freezing problems when streaming twitch at 1080p 60fps, I apologize for any inconvenience this may be causing.

Regarding this problem, we believe it could be an incompatibility between the computer which is an Asus computer and the generic Intel® Driver. If well our drivers are made for the integrated graphics it is best to use the ones that have already been customized by the different OEMs, Asus for example.

We supply generic versions of graphics drivers for general purposes. Computer manufacturers can change the features, incorporate customization, or make other changes to the graphics driver software or software packaging. To avoid potential installation incompatibilities, we recommend that you first check with your computer manufacturer and use the driver software provided.

We suggest you use the driver provided by Asus in order to avoid problems.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello AndreiA,

I am following-up with your case and I see that we have not heard back from you,

Is there anything else I can help you with?

Were you able to solve your issue?

Do not hesitate to reply to this for further help!

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
AAncu1
Beginner

Hello,

I have rolled back to the old driver provided by windows update, since that seems to be the only solution.

I am pretty upset about using a (very) outdated driver, but at least it is a working one..

I still haven't managed to get the new driver to work, and I was waiting and hoping that a new version would fix it.. I would love to benefit from the improvements of the new drivers.

Thank you for the follow-up!
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello AndreiA,

Thank you for your response,

I apologize for any inconvenience, you can refer to the following link to download the latest drivers for your system. With the information provided I was able to find it:

https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ASUS-ZenBook-UX430UA/HelpDesk_Download/

It should contain the latest driver for your system provided by the manufacturer, please attempt to download and install it.

Please let us know the outcome, I hope you find this helpful.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
AAncu1
Beginner

Hello,

I know I can download drivers from Asus, but the drivers there are severely outdated compared to the generic drivers (version 21.20.16.4627.02) and I doubt Asus will ever update them again. That is why I was hoping for a fix in the generic drivers..

0 Kudos
AAncu1
Beginner

Hello again,

My issue seems to be resolved after installing the BIOS update Asus released on 17/01/2018. Now I am able to run the latest generic drivers without issues.

Thank you for the support,

Andrei

0 Kudos