5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2018 1:52 PM by lw1948

NUC6i5SYK BIOS ver. 0065 Problems

rdawson75

Has anyone else installed BIOS update 65 on their NUC6i5SYK , or similar devices and began to have various issues? 

After installing, I was most of time unable to pull up the "Windows Start" menu, unable to type in the Cortana search bar, the application Slack became hung while trying to load and after sleeping the system and waking it back up, my finger print reader stopped working and I could not get to the credential log on screen.  I was able to get into File Explorer via a short cut in my task bar and took the system back to ver. 63 of the BIOS and all is well again.  I should note that I had the Microsoft patch/update from the Meltdown exploit installed for a day or two prior and was not having these issues.  So while it could be a combination of things causing issues, they did not begin until I applied the ver. 65 of the BIOS.

Anyone have any similar experience or is it just me?

• 1. Re: NUC6i5SYK BIOS ver. 0065 Problems
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello rdawson75

Thank you for contacting Intel Support,

I understand that you are having problems with a BIOS version that made your computer behave erratically, I apologize for any inconvenience this may be causing.

Regarding this problem, I would like to replicate it and analyse what the problem can be. For that, I would like you to provide me with more information about the system you are using.

To better assist you with your request, I will need to check some information about your computer.  Please follow these steps:

1. In the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R.
          2. In the Run box please type dxdiag and hit Enter.
          3. Click on Save All Information (save it in your desktop).
          4. Attach to this thread the report.

To attach a file, you must click "Use advanced editor" in the top right and then click the “Attach” option on the bottom right hand the response box.

Regards,
          David V

• 2. Re: NUC6i5SYK BIOS ver. 0065 Problems
            rdawson75

I have attached the request diag output.  Please not that at this time I am still running version 63 of the BIOS. Please let me know if there is anything else I can supply or further testing on my end.

• 3. Re: NUC6i5SYK BIOS ver. 0065 Problems
              Intel Corporation

Hello rdawson75,

Thank you for your response,

With this information I can proceed to replicate the issue and see what could be wrong with the unit and the BIOS version.

Thank you very much for taking the time to send the information, I will be updating you as soon as I am done with the testing and replicating.

Regards,
              David V

• 4. Re: NUC6i5SYK BIOS ver. 0065 Problems
                Intel Corporation

Hello rdawson75,

Thank you for patiently waiting,

I have finished with the replication of the issue, up to this point the BIOS version 0065 was tested and worked properly. 

No problems while typing on the Cortana search and no problems when it came to open the start button. This means that the problem could actually be the Operating System itself. 

The best option would be to attempt to reinstall the Operating System and try again with that BIOS version since the BIOS version works properly.

Please let me know if you were able to try the suggestion.

Regards,
                David V.

• 5. Re: NUC6i5SYK BIOS ver. 0065 Problems
                  lw1948

Hello rdawson75

Since I'm owner of NUC6i5SYH, it was be able to check this problem carefully.

All drivers where updated to the last version. The OS is like yours Windows 10 Pron 64 Bit Version 1709 Build 16299.192.

I've run 3DMark Benchmark tests before BIOS update from 0063 to 0065 and after update. Founded that NUC performance where not degraded by BIOS upgrade from 0063 to 0065. There is no any problem in Start Menu functioning.

For your information I've observed Start Menu lock problem already in previous BIOS version and founded that this was Windows problem. In my computer the Start Menu was locked after executing Restart and it worked correctly after powering ON from Shutdown.  After applying the following settings in Windows, all Start Menu problems disappeared:

1. In Window Settings-> Accounts -> Sign-in options and switch OFF the option: 'Use my sign–in info to automatically finish setting up my device after an update or restart'  under Privacy.  See the attached image.

2. Update value in registry:

2.1 Right click on start menu and click on Run.

2.2 Write the command regedit and click Enter.

2.3 Go to path [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WpnUserService].

2.4 Double click on Start from the right side.

2.5 Change the value data to 4 then OK.

2.6 Reboot.

Hope this will help you

Leon