Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Can't update Intel Proset/Wireless Driver

DMa5
Beginner

Hi. I have an HP Spectre X360 convertible with Intel Dual Band Wireless AC-7265. I've been using the Intel Driver and Support Assistant to update drivers from time to time, though it has from time to time been finicky with updates. Most recently, the Support Assistant has indicated that there is a driver update available:

Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows® 10

Latest version: 19.51.8.2

Installed Version: 18.33.11.2

I dutifully download and install and everything seems to go smoothly - no error messages, and I reboot when prompted. But then when I check in Device Manager, it still shows the old version of the driver (i.e. 18.33.11.2). I then run Support Assistant again, and it tells me once again that an update available. Running it a second time gives the option to repair rather than install (as the installer seems to think it's already installed). It grandly announced "Success" at the end, this time with no prompt to reboot. And again, the driver is not updated.

Any suggestions on how I might be able to successfully update the driver?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DMa5
Beginner

Just as a further update, I attempted to do a https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html clean installation. I repeated the process 4 times, as the wireless adapter kept popping back up, until it kept returning with driver version 17.15.05 (I believe) which was identified as a Microsoft driver. It would not roll back further or completely uninstall beyond that version. Anyway, after rebooting yet again, I tried reinstalling the current version. Once completed, I checked the driver version in Device Manager and it shows as 18.33.11.2. Running the Driver & Support Assistant also continues to show the following:

Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows® 10 Latest version: 19.51.8.2

Installed Version: 18.33.11.2

Update available

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello dma0,

Thanks for being part of our community. We understand that you're experiencing problems to update the driver for your wireless adapter.

So far, you seem to have tried to update the driver with the Intel® Driver and Support Assistant. Could you please try using the dedicated installer instead? It can be https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27309/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-10?product=83635 downloaded here.

If the issue persists, we would like to gather some more information. Please download and run the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600 Intel® System Support Utility (while connected to your network) and share the resulting report with us.

To enable file attachments, you will need to switch to the advanced editor mode while replying.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
DMa5
Beginner

Thank you for the quick response.

Sorry - I should have been clearer in my earlier note above: While I initially used the Driver & Support assistant to install, on subsequent attempts at re-installation, I just ran the file that the assistant had downloaded. Out of an abundance of caution, I also downloaded the installer from the link you had provided. It seems to be identical. However, nonetheless, I tried installing from that file. It did not seem to make any difference - I was prompted to repair, which I did, and then the program ended with "Success".

Please find attached the output file resulting from a run of the Support Utility. Please note that I've redacted certain information, such as serial numbers, IP addresses and MAC addresses - each marked with "[redacted]". If there is a need for any of the information, please do let me know how best to convey it to you privately rather than in a public forum.

Thanks again for your assistance on this.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello dma0,

Thanks for taking the time to reinstall the driver one more time.

We apologize for the confusion. There are two different revisions of Intel® Dual Band Wireless AC-7265, Revision C, and Revision D. The latest driver version for each revision is different, this is showed in the detailed description for the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27309/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-10?product=83635 driver download:

• Driver version = 19.51.8.2 for Windows 10 for 3168, 3165, 7265 (Rev. D) and 17265 adapters.
  • Driver version = 18.33.11.2 for Windows 10 for 7265 (Rev. C), 3160, and 7260 adapters.

From the Intel® SSU log provided, we learned your adapter is revision C, so it is already using the latest driver available. You can find more information regarding the different revisions and how to recognized them here:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000026395/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html Why do I see a different Wi-Fi driver version with my Intel® Wireless 7265 Family adapters?

The problem is that Intel® Driver and Support Assistant can't see the difference between revisions and keeps reporting the driver for revision D. The problem has been reported.

Please let us know if there's anything else we can help you with.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
DMa5
Beginner

Ah, thank you very much for the information, and sorry I had missed the information on the different revisions. Needless to say I will keep this in mind for future updates.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello dma0,

No problem, I missed it too the the first time and the software is reporting the wrong driver version as well.

Don't hesitate to post again if anything else is required.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos