7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2018 5:07 PM by Intel Corporation

Dual Band Wireless 7260 AC WIFI Problems in Windows 10

Kettle

I upgraded the WiFi card in my Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro almost a year ago to an Intel Wireless-AC 7260 7260NGW 802.11ac Dual Band NGFF Wifi Card, and it's been performing flawlessly until the last week or so.

I'm now experiencing drop-outs in wi-fi every few minutes / hours. The severity is strangely erratic: sometimes these can be be resolved by right-clicking the system tray icon and letting the troubleshooter restart the adapter, but occasionally it's as if the card's not there at all, it's not even listed in the device manager, defying refreshes and sometimes even restarts.  Eventually it will come back, only to be as unstable as before.

I have physically removed the card, cleaned the contacts and checked that it's seated correctly and removed and re-installed the drivers with no success

After searching online I found reports on this forum of other issues associated with 7260 cards and Windows 10 updates and wondered if my experiences could be linked, there have certainly been a lot of Windows updates recently.

I'll be very grateful for any suggestions / advice.

• 1. Re: Dual Band Wireless 7260 AC WIFI Problems in Windows 10
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Kettle,

We understand you upgraded your wireless adapter, and have recently started having issues with network disconnections.

Please keep in mind that only wireless adapters installed by your computer manufacturer are applicable for support. 

- Regulatory Information Regarding Wireless Hardware Installation or Upgrade

We'll be more than happy to take a look at your system and provide any suggestions that we can, but we cannot guarantee a solution.

Please download and run the Intel® System Support Utility. Making sure that you're connected to your network, select the option to scan everything. Once the scan has completed, please save the report and share it with us.

Note: to enable attachments, make sure to use the advanced editor while replying.

Best regards,
          Carlos A.

• 2. Re: Dual Band Wireless 7260 AC WIFI Problems in Windows 10
            Kettle

Thanks for your quick response, I've attached the results of the scan.

Any assistance will be greatly received.

Regards,

Martin

• 3. Re: Dual Band Wireless 7260 AC WIFI Problems in Windows 10
              Intel Corporation

Hello Kettle,

Thanks for this report. 

We can see that your signal strength and connection rate are very low for Wireless-AC.

a. If you're very far away from your router, or there are walls in between, using the 2.4 GHz band may be a better choice. The 5 GHz band is generally less susceptible to interference, but has a lower range and penetration capabilities.
              b. If you're close to your wireless router, you may want to check and make sure that the wireless antennas are still securely connected to the adapter. You could also switch them and see if it helps.
              c. Please download the latest drivers for the Bluetooth® Module of your wireless adapter, or disable it from device manager if this isn't something you will use.
              d. Open your wireless adapter properties from device manager (Right click start menu > Device Manager > Network Adapters > Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 > Properties > Advanced tab) and change the following advanced adapter settings:
                  - Roaming Aggressiveness = 1. Lowest
                  - Bluetooth® AMP = Enabled
                  - 802.11n Channel Width for 2.4GHz = 20 MHz
                  - 802.11n Channel Width for 5.2GHz = Auto

We can also recommend making sure that your VPN software is up to date, as this type of software modifies your wireless driver when enabled. How does the adapter behave if your VPN is disabled?

Best regards,
              Carlos A.

• 4. Re: Dual Band Wireless 7260 AC WIFI Problems in Windows 10
                Kettle

Thanks for your reply and your suggestions, I have made the changes o the adapter settings, the router is not far away and the signal is generally consistently strong. I have uninstalled the VPN software in case that was affecting things adversely.  Unfortunately these haven't improved stability, over the course of the past couple of hours the device has dropped in and out multiple times, sometimes disappearing from the device manager and only returning after multiple restarts.

Any more troubleshooting recommendations will be gratefully received.

• 5. Re: Dual Band Wireless 7260 AC WIFI Problems in Windows 10
                  Intel Corporation

Hello Kettle,

Where you able to check your internal antenna connectors? Your last SSU showed a signal strength of 54%, which is not normal unless you're very far from your access point.

You could also try a Network Reset:

1. Open the start menu and go to settings (gear icon, lower left). Or press the Windows* Key + "i" combination to open your Windows* Settings.
                  2. Go to Network & Internet, and select the Network Reset option. Your PC will restart, so make sure to save and close any important files.

Best regards,
                  Carlos A.

• 6. Re: Dual Band Wireless 7260 AC WIFI Problems in Windows 10
                    Kettle

I'm cautiously pleased to report that this issue now seems to be resolved, at least I haven't had an issue in several days. I'm not sure what fixed it, but I removed, cleaned and reseated the card again, and I also disabledd any powersaving settings for the controller within windows (which I thought were already disabled).  I'll see how it goes, but thanks for all your previous input.

• 7. Re: Dual Band Wireless 7260 AC WIFI Problems in Windows 10
                      Intel Corporation

Hello Kettle,

Thank you for the update. We'll keep our fingers crossed, but if the issue returns, just let us know and we'll continue working towards a solution. 

Best regards,
                      Carlos A.