1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2018 7:02 AM by JeGe

NUC6CAYH Wake via CIR from S5 / Power Toggle doesn't work

Martin_HM

Hi,

I have the following reproducible problem with my NUC6CAYH:

I'm using the NUC as a HTPC and control it using a Logitech Harmony remote. In the Harmony, I set up the device "Microsoft MCE Keyboard" for switching on/off and controlling the NUC via its internal IR sensor. For switching on/off, the MCE Keyboard uses a Power Toggle command.

When trying to wake up the NUC from S5 via CIR, the Toggle command is recognized by the NUC only when sending it twice. However, sending a power command twice is not possible within a Harmony action. (It is only possible in manual operation).

I.e., when the NUC is in S5 shutdown state and I press Power Toggle 1st time, nothing happens. When pressing it 2nd time, the NUC boots. Once booted, a 3rd Power Toggle shuts down the NUC. When pressing Power Toggle again immediately within a few seconds, sometimes the NUC will start. But after a few minutes, it will only react on the second Toggle command.

I've tried several other device settings on the Harmony, including setting it up as Intel NUC6CAYH (which however has significantly less command options than the MCE Keyboard). A friend even reproduced this problem on his NUC6CAYH using an actual MCE remote controller.

The only device I found currrently being able to start the NUC via CIR properly is the Microsoft Windows Media Center PC, which includes besides Power Toggle also designated Power On and Power Off commands.

Power On works properly for waking from S5 via CIR.

My system settings:

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit version 1709

BIOS 0045

All drivers etc updated Jan 01st 2018

Fast Boot deactivated in BIOS

Hibernation deactivated in Windows (i.e. it shuts down to S5 with no hibernation file)

HDMI CEC deactivated

CIR activated and Wake via CIR from S3, S4, S5 activated

Please let me know, whether you can reproduce this problem or whether there are any other system settings that I could try to eliminate the problem.

Thanks

Martin

• 1. Re: NUC6CAYH Wake via CIR from S5 / Power Toggle doesn't work
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi : Thank you very much for contacting the Intel® NUC communities. We will do our best to try to find a possible solution for this problem.

In order for us to better assist you we just wanted to check a few details:
          What is the specific model of the Logitech Harmony remote?
          Please provide the steps you follow to set the device as "Microsoft MCE Keyboard".

Even though you mentioned all the drivers are up to date, please try to install the following driver:
          https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26430/ITE-Tech-Consumer-Infrared-CIR-Driver-for-Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC6CAYS-NUC6CAYH?product=95062

Just in case, on the following link you will find a list of tested peripherals for the Intel® NUC6CAYH, in there you will see some remote controls listed, not sure if you are using the one showing there:
          http://compatibleproducts.intel.com/ProductDetails/ExportPeripheralInfo?moduleName=Intel%C2%AE%20NUC&productType=Kits&productName=Intel%C2%AE%20NUC%20Kit%20NUC6CAYH

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,
          Alberto R

• 2. Re: NUC6CAYH Wake via CIR from S5 / Power Toggle doesn't work
            Martin_HM

Hi,

re.: What is the specific model of the Logitech Harmony remote?

-> Harmony Ultimate (hub & handheld). I tried sending the commands both via hub and via handheld with the same result. Hub placed in front of the NUC, about 5ft distance.

re.: Please provide the steps you follow to set the device as "Microsoft MCE Keyboard".

-> By selecting manufacturer and model from the MyHarmony desktop software and then syncing with the remote.

Device Configuration Enhanced CIR and Wake via CIR were activated in the BIOS by default. Didn't touch them.

I tested the following device settings in the Harmony:

Manufacturer: Microsoft / Model: MCE Keyboard (Provides Power Toggle only)

Manufacturer: Microsoft / Model: MCE Remote (Provides Power Toggle only)

Manufacturer: Microsoft / Model: Windows Media Center PC (Provides Power Toggle and Power ON, Power OFF)

Manufacturer: Intel / Model: NUC6CAYH (Provides Power Toggle only)

In all cases Toggle booted the NUC on 2nd click only. Power ON on the Windows Media Center PC did boot on 1st click.

Another user with whom I chatted about this issue on a Kodi user forum even tested with an actual MCE remote with the same result, i.e. he needed to press Toggle twice.

re.: Even though you mentioned all the drivers are up to date, please try to install the following driver:

-> The driver installed is exactly this one. All other functions except Toggle (On) work fine. Nevertheless, I will try uninstall and re-install tonight.

re.: Just in case, on the following link you will find a list of tested peripherals for the Intel® NUC6CAYH

-> These are hardware remotes. I'm using a Harmony Ultimate, which simulates a remote for a certain target device. Since I tried MCE Keyboard (which is the keyboard for the Xbox listed) as well as Intel NUC, I assume that at least one of them should work. And, again, besides the Toggle, they do work fine.

Best regards

Martin

• 3. Re: NUC6CAYH Wake via CIR from S5 / Power Toggle doesn't work
              Martin_HM

Hi Alberto, 

I just found that the CIR driver installed on my NUC is not the one for which you sent me the link.

Actually it is newer.

The version from the link you sent is 5.3.2.0

The installed version is 5.3.3.1 dt. Jul. 29th, 2017.

Are you shure that 5.3.2.0 is the correct and latest version for my NUC6CAYH?

Can you please give me some guidance, how to downgrade to this version. I can‘t do a manual update. If I try, it tells me that the installed version is already the latest (since it is higher).

If I un-install the device, including delete driver, it comes right back with this version upon reboot.

Best regards 

Martin

• 4. Re: NUC6CAYH Wake via CIR from S5 / Power Toggle doesn't work
                Intel Corporation

Hi : Thank you for providing that information. Yes, the version 5.3.2.0 is the latest one in our web site:
                https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/95062/Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC6CAYH

After download and unzip the driver, to install it manually, please enter “Device Manager”, right click on “Human Interface Devices”, right click on the CIR device, select “Driver” after that “Update Driver”, then :
                Select “Browse my computer for driver software”
                Then “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.”
                “Have Disk”
                “Browse and access the directory where the driver files are found”
                Open folder: “CIR_Win10_5.3.2.0.zip”
                Open ” ITECIR Driver v5320_Win 10_For_Microsoft_v1.3.0”
                Access: “INFDrv”
                Enter: “Win 10x64”
                And finally choose” itecir”

I tried the steps above on the Intel® NUC6CAYH, the driver version installed as you mentioned was 5.3.3.1, provided by Microsoft,  after following those instructions driver version 5.3.2.0 was installed and after reboot that driver version remains.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,
                Alberto R

• 5. Re: NUC6CAYH Wake via CIR from S5 / Power Toggle doesn't work
                  Martin_HM

Hi,

I downgraded the CIR driver to 5.3.2.0, but this didn't change the Power Toggle reaction. The NUC still starts after two Toggle clicks only.

Next I will try downgrading the BIOS.

Do you have a chance to test the behaviour with the NUC you have at hand? I.e. do you have a remote with which you can test waking up the NUC via CIR? The NUC needs to be off (S5 shutdown, not S3 Sleep) for a longer period to see this behaviour. If possible, switch it to S5 when finishing work and try Wake Up via CIR next morning.

• 6. Re: NUC6CAYH Wake via CIR from S5 / Power Toggle doesn't work
                    Martin_HM

Hi, BIOS 42 works.

So the issue is definetly caused by the BIOS.

Best regards

Martin

• 7. Re: NUC6CAYH Wake via CIR from S5 / Power Toggle doesn't work
                      Intel Corporation

Hi : Thank you very much for letting us know those results. We are glad to hear the issue got fixed with BIOS version 0042 and we will do further research on BIOS 0045 in order to confirm if there are some fixes needed for it. As soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,
                      Alberto R

• 8. Re: NUC6CAYH Wake via CIR from S5 / Power Toggle doesn't work
                        rguevara

Hi Martin_HM:

You are correct, BIOS 42 addresses the same issue focused on XBOX and XBOX 360 remotes, see the reference on BIOS release notes: https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27439/eng/AY_0047_ReleaseNotes.pdf

• Updated the EC version to fix an issue where the NUC couldn’t be woken up with a XBOX One or XBOX 360 remote.

I am marking your answer as “correct answer”

Regards,

Ronny G

• 9. Re: NUC6CAYH Wake via CIR from S5 / Power Toggle doesn't work
                          Martin_HM

Thanks Ronny,

although I'm not sure what this means for BIOS 47.

Are you saying that Intel fixed the WAKE function in BIOS 42 and then somehow removed the fix in BIOS 47?

Because it doesnt work in BIOS 47!

Best regards

Martin

• 10. Re: NUC6CAYH Wake via CIR from S5 / Power Toggle doesn't work
                            JeGe

Indeed. Just got my NUC last week and programmed my Harmony One to power on/off the NUC.

I run latest 47 BIOS and no matter what, I have to press the power toggle twice to power it on.
                            If it worked with 42 (don't know, as I didn't had the version), why doesn't it work anymore with 47?

I als have an other question. When I am in Windows and press the power toggle button, Windows goes into sleep.

I would like to see a full power off. I guess this is something in Windows, but so far I can't find how to do that.

• 11. Re: NUC6CAYH Wake via CIR from S5 / Power Toggle doesn't work
                              Martin_HM

Hi JeGe,

as an intermediate solution (until Intel comes up with a fixed BIOS), I have added "Intel NUC6CAYH" as a device in my Harmony setup -instead of the MCE Keyboard. The device Intel NUC offers, besides Power Toggle, also a designated Power On and Power Off button. Power On/Off seems to work.

Regarding ShutDown instead of Sleep, the following worked for me (please excuse if the terminology is not 100% accurate, since I'm on German Windows):

Run "gpedit.msc". This opens the Group Policies. Then go to computer configuration -> policies -> administrative templates... -> system -> power management -> button setting. Change "Reaction of Energy Saving Button" to ShutDown.

• 12. Re: NUC6CAYH Wake via CIR from S5 / Power Toggle doesn't work
                                JeGe

Hi Martin_HM,

Thanks gonna try that this evening. Manufacturer Intel and as device NUC6CAYH?

Great tip about group policy. Could not find "Reaction of Energy Saving Button", but instead I see I can configure the sleep button to Shut Down. Will try that too.

• 13. Re: NUC6CAYH Wake via CIR from S5 / Power Toggle doesn't work
                                  JeGe

Question:

What type of device did you add? I tried Media Center PC and Laptop, but with both I only see the option PowerToggle.

Oh btw I use the old Logitech software 7.7.0. Are you using that too? Or the new software?

• 14. Re: NUC6CAYH Wake via CIR from S5 / Power Toggle doesn't work
                                    Martin_HM

Sorry, my mistake. I called the device Intel NUC, but for setting it up, select manufacturer Microsoft, device Windows Media Center PC. Do not select Computer, since this sends its commands via Bluetooth.

I'm using the MyHarmony software.

But there's a huge BUT:

I just found that all of a sudden even Power On doesn't work anymore. I.e. you need 2 clicks, just like Power Toggle.

I can swear it worked before, so maybe just give it a try. But I changed BIOS versions forth and back and now it doesn't anymore.

Looks like Intel now messed it up completely, so we can only hope for a fixed BIOS version.

1 2 Previous Next