4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2018 8:38 PM by robint1

Intel Aero Compute Board without external FC

robint1

Hi Everyone,

Happy New Year!

I recently purchased an Intel Aero Compute Board for my custom Hexacopter project. From what I read so far, It seems that I cannot use the board alone without a flight controller like Pixhawk.

Is there anyway that I could program the board alone (without an external FC) to run my hexacopter? I wonder if anyone has achieved it yet. I really don't want to invest in a pixhawk along with aero. Please provide some resources, links or advice to get my project going. Anything will help.

Thank you for your time and support!

Thank you.

Robin.

• 1. Re: Intel Aero Compute Board without external FC
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Robin,

Thank you for your interest in the Intel Aero Platform. It is possible to run px4 or Ardupilot directly on the compute board without an external flight controller. The Intel Aero Compute Board has an on-board IMU, Pressure and Magnetometer Sensor. ArduPilot is fully implemented, try to use it by following the ArduPilot Documentation. 

One thing to note is that Aero only has 1 UART available and there are 3 components that need the UART (RC, motors and GPS). You will need to decide what to move to another protocol.

Take a look at the following discussion on the Ardupilot community, a Sololink is used via Wi-Fi.
          https://discuss.ardupilot.org/t/using-sololink-for-linux-based-boards/21719

Hope this information helps you to get started!

Regards,
          Jesus

• 2. Re: Intel Aero Compute Board without external FC
            robint1

Hi Jesus,

Thank you for writing back to me.

I have been trying to to use ardupilot on intel aero compute board after installing Linux Ubuntu on the board by following instructions on 02 Initial Setup · intel-aero/meta-intel-aero Wik... .So far, I have updated the BIOS, Intel Aero linux distribution and FPGA.  I am not able to update aerofc using "aerofc-update.sh arducopter-aerofc-v1.px4", even though it is meant for rtf  only. It keeps cycling checking all the baud rates to reboot. As instructed I tried "aerofc-force-bootloader-pin.py 1" and "aerofc-force-bootloader-pin.py 0" hoping that it would work but in vain. My installed version is shown as follows:

BIOS_VERSION = Aero-01.00.13

OS_VERSION = Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS"

AIRMAP_VERSION = unknown

FPGA_VERSION = 0xa1

AeroFC firware version = unknown

Please let me know if you feel that there is something wrong in what I am doing. Will I be able to simulate by Aero compute board alone using Ardupilot code without connecting the drone hardware. If so, please let me know at what point I will be able to connect to the Intel Aero onboard WiFi using QGC on another computer. Currently I am stuck at "aerofc-update.sh arducopter-aerofc-v1.px4"

Please advice.

Thank you.

Robin.

• 3. Re: Intel Aero Compute Board without external FC
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Robin,

The aerofc-update.sh is specific for the Intel Flight Controller on the RTF Drone only. You would need to build Ardupilot from source following Ardupilot documentation.

Regards,
              Jesus

• 4. Re: Intel Aero Compute Board without external FC
                robint1

Hi Jesus,

Thank you for your support. I will look it up and follow the instructions. It would be great if you can post a link to the specific documentation.

Thank you.

Robin.